Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spybot freezing at post install update

Angry Spybot freezing at post install update

I was having troubles with Spybot 2.5.42.0 freezing when it was performing updates, so I uninstalled it, deleted the program file directory, downloaded the software again and reinstalled it. Imagine how annoyed I am to find that after the install, it is executing the post-install updates, and is darned well freezing ...

[01:34.357] [+] Extracted "spybotsd2-install-bdupd-2017a.exe-2.6.52.0.lzs"!
    [01:34.620] [+] Installed "spybotsd2-install-bdupd-2017a.exe".
    [01:34.889] [+] File "spybotsd2-install-iefreezefix.exe" needs to be downloaded.

I repeated this process on my laptop, and it is now in the same state. Both the desktop and laptop are running Windows 10, Version 1607 Build 14393.693

I have been a loyal user of Spybot S&D for years & years, but now, as it does not seen to be capable of proceeding any further, I am about to give it the proverbial "kick-in-the-arse" right off my machines.

This article is about Spybot freezing during updates. It includes a direct update link, in which updates can be downloaded manually:
    https://www.safer-networking.org/faq...g-an-update-2/

Default Something wrong with that link

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    This article is about Spybot freezing during updates. It includes a direct update link, in which updates can be downloaded manually:
    https://www.safer-networking.org/faq...g-an-update-2/
    Thanks for that, but the "direct-update-link" in the above redirected page just sends me in a loop to the post again.

Default Ah, seems that link is OK after all

Quote Originally Posted by shane49 View Post
    Thanks for that, but the "direct-update-link" in the above redirected page just sends me in a loop to the post again.
    Ah, I had not noticed that the link actually triggers off a download which Chrome was asking me to Keep or Discard. Apologies for getting the wrong idea.

No problem. Did you get the manual updates installed ok?

Default Had the same problem as above, will advise!

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    No problem. Did you get the manual updates installed ok?
    ... crossing two fingers.

Default Update ... update still freezing on same file

Quote Originally Posted by tungfuguru View Post
    ... crossing two fingers.
    Update: Hard to tell if it is worked. The manual installer went through as promised, and said completed, although Win10 says the programme might not have installed correctly and offered compatibility mode.

Opening Spybot again and running update sees the update freeze on the same file as above, i.e. iefreeze, rather than as might be expected, to say all up to date?

However I guess that could be the servers are still overloaded as per your manual install page.

Hi, You could look into your Spybot\Includes folder and sort files by date to see from which date the latest files are. This could help determine if anything at all was updated. Thank you.
    (m/f)

Default i am having the same EXACT problem... exactly.

found this while attempting to see if it had already been posted.
    i was surprised to see someone else having same exact problem--and very recently.
    intital update freezing on exact same item-- File "spybotsd2-install-iefreezefix.exe" needs to be downloaded.
    followed instructions, but the manual update doesn't seem to include initial definitions files.
    i also got the "program might not have installed correctly" message.
    same. exact. problem.
    and after 'manual update', initial update still freezing on same (ironic) ...iefreeze... entry.
    that entry is not present in includes file.
    somehow i get the feeling that others will follow that are having the same issue.
    thans for any additional advice...
    Last edited by circe801; 2017-03-01 at 14:33.

Default Aha!!!

hey, shane49--try this.
    just for shits and giggles, i opened spybot S&D again and right clicked on 'update' and hit 'run as adminstrator'.
    after status check, i hit 'update' and, voilą--update completed--with a quickness.
    hope it works for you as well!!