Thread: Using Spybot as on-demand scanner only

Question Using Spybot as on-demand scanner only

I'd like to make use of Spybot for periodic malware scans, but I don't want any part of it running constantly to monitor file usage or internet activity or anything like that. Does anyone have a complete list of the options I'd need to set so that there are absolutely no components of Spybot running until I run a scan?

Thanks!

Let's see.....on Spybot 2.4-2.5 free edition, you'd want to open Spybot start center, checkmark advanced mode, open Settings. You'll probably get a prompt from UAC when clicking on Settings on anything later than windows XP, and you should click yes for Spybot settings to run. On the system services tab, there's an option to uninstall the Security Center Service, Scanner Service, and the Updating Service. I believe the Update Service might need to come on when you update manually, though, I believe there is a prompt when you do so. Or you could leave that on if you like.
    Then, in System Integration you have the option to uninstall the tray icon which appears by the Windows tray area down by the clock. There are also options to uninstall Windows Explorer Integration (64 bit) and Windows Explorer Integration (32 - bit)(it says below these that they're the plug-in responsible for showing you options to scan files and more when rightclicking), and Autoplay (current user) and Autoplay (global).
    The Internet Protection tab will set up a proxy, but that should be disabled as soon as you update Spybot. You will need to update before you start the first scan,so if you update after you download it, that should be taken care of, or if you prefer not to scan right away you can click the Internet Protection tab and uncheck Use Spybot Proxy if it isn't greyed out(if it's greyed out and uncheckmarked then it is inactive anyways.)

In task scheduler on your computer, under task scheduler library, then Safer-Networking, there are probably three tasks listed. You could disable those, or disable and delete if you prefer. On mine (Windows 10), you can do either of those things if you click on each task, then look over under Actions, then below that Selected Item.

I think that should make it strictly an on-demand scanner, I don't see anything else in there.
    Last edited by Zenobia; 2017-03-22 at 01:37.

Oh, yes, and you'd probably want to skip immunizing to keep it on-demand as well. Those are passive protections, they add entries from the hosts file to keep you from going to bad sites ,etc. They do not run, per se, but it's worth my mentioning so you know about them and can choose to immunize or not(plus I forgot about it in my first post, oops.)

Thanks for the tips! You've called out more than I thought of on my own, so that's useful information.

You're welcome.