Thread: Do SpyBot S&D2 & Avast AV not work & play well together?

Default Do SpyBot S&D2 & Avast AV not work & play well together?

Whilst having Avast AV already installed, unbeknownst to me, apparently these two kids may not work & play well with each other. I say that as I repeatedly experienced Avast's boot time scans that while the customary DOS window appeared during re-boot and the scans were seen to have completed, yett Avast AV's scan reports were never anywhere to be found, nor did it's scan history so much as denote the boot time scans ever existed. Fairly disconcerting, but in as much as I found the Avast forum overall, fairly unhelpful, no posts regarding such and worse, no replies received to my post on the matter. I decided to drop the using the product and upgraded to SB&SD2's Pro version. Anyone else experienced this? I'm still a little bit spooked over the issue, even though I'm fairly confident SBS&D2 should have detected something, if it was there at all.

Best regards and happ-e-trails to all, urrguru
    Last edited by urrguru; 2017-04-10 at 09:06.

I'm not too familiar with Avast, so I don't know too much how to find anything in it, as I had it years ago. However for the boot time scan, I did find this:
    https://forum.avast.com/index.php?to...0971#msg780971
    It's an older thread, but hopefully it serves the purpose. Even though you uninstalled avast, the report might still be there. Note that in some cases the boot time scan report might be hidden, according to the link I posted.

[QUOTE=Zenobia;475372]...'Even though you uninstalled avast, the report might still be there. Note that in some cases the boot time scan report might be hidden'

Appreciate the reply. In as much as I did a pretty good job of deleting all that Avast left behind, I'm fairly confident no such report remains (as when I did a "run" for Win 7's designated default folder locations, despite not doing so, with my 'pants down', the resulting 'it's not found' somewhat assures it's gone.

On a somewhat of kind note regarding Avast AV free, despite finding it's 2017 design a bit dark and foreboding, it seemed to do not nearly as well as Avira's free AV (yet that one was entirely too invasive for my taste), but in that Avast's forum just didn't 'cut it', again for my taste, plus Avast's support neglected nearly every one of my requests, so it was 'sent on it's way', even before I inadvertently discover SpyBot's AV.

Lastly, I was and remain confident the lack of 'missing' scan reports, really was of little consequence, as at its quarantine files listed nothing.

Sorry for the 'read' here, but again, thanks for the reply (good one).

If not bumping, I just had a thought, following a kind response from Team SpyBot.

There I was cautioned to "disable any other security programs that could be running which may interfere with the Spybot update, causing it to fail."

However likely die to discretion and/or political correctness being all the rage now days, the statement didn't mention which security programs have been reported as causing Spybot update to fail, and if so, might there be some indications when and if such occurs.

I only ask as I do use MBAM and Defender. not that either are as aggressive as AV, but just thought I'd ask as I believe Avast AV, I believe disables Windows Defender.

Best regards and happ-e-trails to u all,

urrguru
    Last edited by urrguru; 2017-04-12 at 02:05.

You're welcome, and thanks.

Sorry, which specific programs might interfere with Spybot updates is something I don't know, actually, or perhaps they just meant other security programs in general. Maybe you could ask them about that if you're still emailing back and forth.

Quote Originally Posted by urrguru
    I only ask as I do use MBAM and Defender. not that either are as aggressive as AV, but just thought I'd ask as I believe Avast AV, I believe disables Windows Defender.
    On Windows 8 and above Windows Defender usually disables itself when other antivirus programs are installed because in those versions of windows, Windows Defender is an antivirus as well as antispyware, so when Windows Defender disables inself it's so it doesn't conflict with another antivirus. However I see you have Windows 7, and on that version Windows Defender should be antispyware only.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window...n_to_antivirus
    So, I went hunting on the Avast forum and found this. I am unfamiliar with Avast, but if your Windows Defender was disabled before, that might explain it, if they still do that and on the version you had:
    https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=189162.0
    hth.

This forum rocks. Not sure if you're another Virgo, as I'm am, for as thorough, exacting, well informed, and as helpful we can be, I must say it's apparent you will always be one up on me. Kudos on kudos for the replies.

No need for me to protract this matter any longer, as I've imposed enough both with Team SpyBot Support, etc., so I'm willing to call it a day, if you are.

Besides, now I'm headed up towards figuring out my event viewer logs, list concerning info reports regarding SpyBot...

The description for Event ID 100 from source sbNet cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted.

Likely just more MS inadequacies which simply blame everything and yet nothing specific for such endless infernal non-descript witch hunts.

Always something, no?

I expect I'll need to impose on people again, likely as well, only to find I'm chasing my tail (and this's surely as usual, yet another aspect of MS's so called system that it never finished, eg; the event viewer's uselessness to anyone except those that don't need it).

App's for MS bash, but as they say, 'no press is bad press', and as I say, 'if you don't carry two guns, then you're two guns short of everyone else.'

Best regards as always,

urrguru
    Last edited by urrguru; 2017-04-12 at 21:29.

Thanks. I'm an Aries, actually. I found a horoscope reading a while ago that somebody had done when I was born. It was surprisingly accurate.

The description for Event ID 100 from source sbNet cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted.
    I believe that message should be an information message only, and not an error. It is just that the message isn't being displayed correctly in your event viewer so you cannot see the actual message. There's a post here saying that a reminder was written to make it optional in Spybot 3:
    https://forums.spybot.info/showthrea...n-Event-Viewer
    I found this answer posted on the Spybot Facebook page when somebody asked about an "Event ID 100 from source sbNet cannot be found" message, so I'll quote it here. This very well may be why you are getting this message as well:
    Quote Originally Posted by Spybot - Search & Destroy
    Spybot - Search & Destroy
    This issue is shown as an information only, isn't it? While the display of this message doesn't look to be correct (the DLL containing the text for this event seems to be missing), the actual message just informs about a working ("listening") Spybot service
    If it's just a summary/information message then it probably isn't worth trying to fix it, as fixing it might be complicated for little gain. I have a HHCTRL message with the same text in my event viewer, and I decided to leave it as is on mine since it is listed as information only. You might like to leave yours as is, or you can ask about it in your support ticket if it is still open, or open another ticket if your ticket is now closed.
    https://www.safer-networking.org/support/ticket/