Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Windows security Center Disabled

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

PCPlod:

re: Update server

The instructions for changing the download server are in the following article (see #4):

Not contained in that article is the fact that you can select a server as the preferred download location and Spybot will select that server, if available, rather than a random server (see Note#1 below) for future updates.

Although I do not necessarily recommend that you set a preferred download location, here is how you can do that:
    • After clicking "Search for updates" and the "No server selected" button (between the "Search for Updates" and "Download Updates" buttons) has changed to a list of available servers, select the server you want by using the pull down menu of servers and left clicking on the desired server.
    • Then right click the button and select "Set this server as the preferred download location".

Note #1: Spybot-S&D 1.4 selects a random server. Spybot-S&D 1.3 selects the first server listed and that is why Bad Checksum errors were/are more prevalent with Spybot-S&D 1.3.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

my security center was disabled by something during some sort of attack...yea it'd bug the crap out of me to fix it...and i would try and try...but it wouldnt let me fix it...because somehow i dont have privileges anymore......and uh it eventually just stopped...which solves the annoying flashy thing at the bottom... but it's stolen my piece of mind....i found the virusscan on access scan thing useful... in fact it was the only thing that ever alerted me to viruses. in this case it alerted me of a virus and got it's own a$$ kicked while trying to fix it is my guess....cuz it dont work anymore

Hello,

To start the "Security Center" service, use these steps:

* Click Start, Run and type Services.msc

* Double-click "Security Center" service from the listing

* Set the startup type of the service to "Automatic"

* Start the service by clicking the "Start" button in that applet.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    Hello,

To start the "Security Center" service, use these steps:

* Click Start, Run and type Services.msc

* Double-click "Security Center" service from the listing

* Set the startup type of the service to "Automatic"

* Start the service by clicking the "Start" button in that applet.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

i do not have anything called "Security Center" within the area you specify, however i believe you mean "Security Accounts Manager"....which i cannot click start it is grayed out and un-clickable(which apparently is not a word), also what is the status supposed to be at? my startup was already automatic...and my service report says started. but i know its not working...

Edit: Command Service shows up on spybot as a virus and it is indead under this list....i think this is bad?
    Last edited by stacked_deck; 2007-01-19 at 12:09.

stacked_deck

You have a very infected computer, some of your questions might be resolved once the machine is clean.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=10098

Regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

The service "Security Center" usually appears immediately after "Security Accounts Manager" in the "Services (Local)" listing in XP. Sounds to me, Stacked, like you probably need to reinstal your Windows. And if you need a good virus scanner in future, just download Avast's excellent (free) Home Edition.

Thanks Md, too, for that nicely explained instruction on setting the preferred download location.

Quote Originally Posted by PCPlod View Post
    Sounds to me, Stacked, like you probably need to reinstal your Windows.
    stacked_deck has a topic in the Malware removal forum: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=10098 and is being guided through a cleanup.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

i do indeed.....this crap is horrible....in the future i'll have to remember never ever search for serials...i think that'll be the biggest way to steer clear. stupidity....i searched for serials and caught a virus and ended up buying the software anyway...next time i'll dish up the cash...because the amount of hours spent fixing this vastly outweighs the cash i coulda paid upfront

Default Exclude Security Center

Thanks md usa spybot fan for path to exclude Windows Security Center from Spybot. I have disabled mine by choice and it's been coming up in Spybot.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

anges35:

You welcome. But I hope that you didn't disable Windows Security Center for any of the wrong reasons mentioned by Zenobia, such as not having a firewall or an anti-virus program.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.