Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recurring pop-up BitFefender Threat Scanner errors

Default Recurring pop-up BitFefender Threat Scanner errors

AV seems to be working, but with all IE & Windows updates in order, fresh SpyBot install immediately displayed the error pop-up as soon as SB S&D2 Pro was installed.

Worse, the pop-up returns during shutdowns, etc.

Anyone in the know have a clue?

Hello urrguru,

Bitdefender Threat Scanner.dmp

If you receiving the following message, it is possible that one of Spybot’s files has become corrupted and needs to be replaced.

To fix this issue:

• Please go to the Spybot program folder and check if a 32kB “SDAV.dll” file is present.
      C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot – Search & Destroy 2
    • If the file is not present, please download this file from our “Missing Files” page, and copy it into your Spybot folder to fix this issue.
    • This file may have been removed accidentally by another antivirus or security program installed on your PC.
    • If the file is present, please check the file to see if it is the same size as the attached file. (32KB)
    • If the file has been corrupted, please replace it with the attached file.

Best regards.

Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Seems others reported the issue of the unexplained pop-up, Ref...

https://forums.spybot.info/showthrea...-Spybot-av-pro

https://www.safer-networking.org/faq...t-scanner-dmp/

And yet despite the resulting link for fresh SB files, which hopefully resolves the unexplained BitDefender pop-up error, as yet how come the issue isn't or hasn't been addressed as to how and/or why a fresh SB install appears to always produce the 12KB file instead of the 32 KB "SDAV.dll" file?

Sorry for going on about over a 'dead horse' here, but for goodness sakes people, there's a dead horse lying here, and what, we all just will have to walk around it forever?

Makes me wonder how much confidence I should have in SB S&D2's AV, if it can't even point users to the problem resolution, let alone fix it by itself.

Default i went back to 2.4

image1.jpgimage1.jpg
    went back to 2.4
    i coundnt do anything to fix this and uninstalling 2.6 was a pain i got boxes over boxes FINALLY got rid of em
    **sweet melody**

I had the same bitdefender threat scanner popup start while Spybot was installing. I just ignored it until my computer rebooted. When I booted back into windows the popup was gone. The popup stayed gone except for twice when I went into Spybot's System Services and stopped and uninstalled Scanner Service.

I did replace sdav.dll with the one available from the Spybot website, but it didn't stop the popups when I was messing around with the scanner service.

I don't know any way to fix it, so I think I'll just leave Spybot 2.6 installed with the scanner service off, and wait to see what Team Spybot posts. It's probably best for you to stick with Spybot 2.4 for now until you see something posted(unless you and I are the only ones with the error, that is.)

Or, if you prefer, you could open a ticket to support:
    https://www.safer-networking.org/support/ticket/

went back to 2.4 ill let it get fixed NEWER isnt always BETTER
    uninstalling 2.6 was a PAIN it kept popping the alert over over filling screen i linally got rid them and took it out
    ill wait it out too much mess
    **sweet melody**

I just registered to add my name to the list of frustrated users of 2.6 with this error.

I'm on Windows 10 home 64-bit.

Every shutdown I get this notice:

"A problem has occurred in BitDefender Threat Scanner. A file containing information. A file containing error information has been created at c:\windows\temp\BitDefender Threat Scanner.dmp. You are strongly encouraged to send the file to the developers of the application for further investigation of the error."

I uninstalled the software fully, removed all leftover folders, and re-installed. I still got the same error when shutting down. I then downloaded the replacement SDAV.dll file from the safer-networking site as directed, and replaced the file. I still get the error with each shutdown.

I give up. I never had this issue with 2.4 (or any previous version) and this doesn't give me any confidence in 2.6. This is a problem that hopefully gets addressed soon. For now I'm going to just uninstall 2.6 and wait to see if there's an update to fix this issue. Very disappointing that this error has not been resolved yet.

Hi. I was starting to think me and cootmaster were the only ones with this error.
    I've kept Spybot 2.6 up to now with the Scanner Service uninstalled and haven't been getting the threatscanner error(I posted about that in my previous post). After reading your post, I decided to reinstall and turn on the Scanner Service to try to get the error again, or to try to see if having the Scanner Service running and the threat scanner error was some sort of mad coincidence. After I installed the Scanner Service and enabled it, I didn't get the threatscanner error. So I stayed on the computer for about an hour or so to see if it would start again, and it didn't.

After that, I decided to reboot the computer to see if I'd get the error, and I still didn't.

So after I logged back into windows, I opened Spybot start center, then Settings, went to the System Services tab, unchecked the Active After Every Reboot, stopped the Service, all was well, and then when I hit uninstall the threatscanner error boxes started happenng again.

By Murphy's Law and my luck, it's some mad coincidence, but this is the third time the threatscanner errors have happened connected to Scanner Service, so I think it must be something with it. Just what, I do not know.

Okay, I just tried it a fourth time, and after unchecking Active After Every Reboot, and then stopping Scanner Service the Bitdefender Threat Scanner error came up again.

I wonder why only us three have this so far?

Anyways, just thought I'd post this for info, I'm not suggesting that anybody shutdown Scanner Service or anything like that, it is needed for certain things in Spybot like scanning single files, etc.

Hi, also just registered to comment here.

I'm getting the same problem, the sdav.dll file doesn't seem to be the culprit this time as replacing it doesn't fix it, and for me the size was correct anyway, but still tired a couple of times, under varying conditions, like scanner service both on & off. Also tried uninstalling, manually cleaned up all remaining remnants, and reinstall, but again, no joy.

Seems it only occurs on the shutting down of the scanner service (it must have started first though, i.e. no error if it never starts). This for me is completely repeatable, and naturally this happens when shutting down & rebooting as well, since the service is stopped during those events (again if it was on), the popup appears, but at least with reboot/shutdown, it is killed off. Manually shutting down the service via spybot settings or through services management however produces the same popup error, but it is perpetual and can't be resolved or dismissed by re-starting the service, or any other means that I've discovered, except by doing a shutdown, reboot or user logout.

I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet, i.e. keep 2.6 without scanner service starting up or go back to 2.4, One thing I did notice after unchecking the on-reboot option is it started up anyway, but it may have been because I used spybot settings to check if it was running, and unchecking the box did set to manually start in services (instead of automatic), so perhaps the act of starting spybot started it and I need to set the service to disabled in sevices to prevent it starting completely.

Anyway I hope a fix for this is found soon, and regarding the number of people getting this error, I suspect there is more than just us, we're just the ones who have posted about it, and also realize it's to do with spybot since the error states it's bitdefender, many will be thinking virus not realising it's used with spybot, and then there will be a bunch of people who rarely shutdown/reboot their systems, using sleep/hibernate instead, and I'm not sure it happens under those conditions, But they will possibly realize next time windows wants to reboot to complete an update.

Thanks very much for posting and confirming it is scanner service stopping. Now I know it isn't just me with that happening.