Thread: Unable to install new version of spybot

Default Unable to install new version of spybot

Hello, I downloaded from official site spybot and cannot install it.

I get a message in the File Download window that says:

Spybot is now downloading additional files... etc..
    Speed -

and immediately stops and displays a smaller window with the following:
    Error Sending Request
    An error ocurred in the secure channel support

... and stops installation.

Am using XP Professional
    Firefox 47.0.1

What can I do?

Thank You
    RaulQ

The described image -
    ERROR INSTALLING SPYBOT 29 5 2017 WINDOW.JPG

That's the 2.4 free edition you are downloading? What happens if you hit cancel on the error, then cancel on setup, does the Spybot install stop from that point, or does it continue on?

Which version of Internet Explorer are you using? You have Windows XP Professional, do you have any service packs installed?

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    That's the 2.4 free edition you are downloading? What happens if you hit cancel on the error, then cancel on setup, does the Spybot install stop from that point, or does it continue on?

Which version of Internet Explorer are you using? You have Windows XP Professional, do you have any service packs installed?
    Thank you Zenobia for your answer.
    Yes it is the free edition, for the time being.
    I have used XP professional with all service packs installed, have never used Internet explorer in any machine as browser.

If I hit cancel button the installation aborts and if I try immediately again to install if will show the same installing error, the same if I reset the machine and try the installation again.

I had the idea that I had Spybot installed but couldn't find it, reason I downloaded it again. I'm still not in panic mode but... can a malware prevent Spybot from installing ? Any news on this ?

Thanks

You're welcome.

Yes, it's possible for something malware related to prevent Spybot from being installed, but it also could be something else that is not malware related. If you do notice signs of malware, please let me know. I would then direct you to the malware forum.

I was googling your error, and I found this on this page:
    SHA-1 certificates are expected to be gone by January 1st, 2017. By then, more and more servers will have ported their certificates to the SHA-2 variety, so expect more HTTPS connection failures for WinHttp under Windows XP & Windows Vista. It makes sense, after all; support for Windows XP finally came to an end on April 8, 2014 (Microsoft had already dropped support for Windows Vista) and the last Windows OS not supporting TLS 1.1 & 1.2, Windows Server 2008, reached end of mainstream support this January.
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...hannel-support
    I'm not even going to pretend that I understand everything written on that page, but I wonder if the quoted paragraph might be part of why you are getting the "An error ocurred in the secure channel support" error when installing Spybot.
    I did run spybot-2.4.exe to see if I could bypass downloading anything with a custom installation, and I couldn't find any way to do so.

So I'm going to suggest that you contact Spybot Support. Please click this link to technical support:
    https://www.safer-networking.org/sup...ket/technical/
    From there, click No License, and then select Free User.
    Tell them what you posted here, and you can also include a link to this thread if you like. That link is here:
    https://forums.spybot.info/showthrea...sion-of-spybot
    If something happens that you are unable to contact Support due to similar errors, please post back here and let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    You're welcome.

So I'm going to suggest that you contact Spybot Support. Please click this link to technical support:
    https://www.safer-networking.org/sup...ket/technical/
    From there, click No License, and then select Free User.
    Tell them what you posted here, and you can also include a link to this thread if you like. That link is here:
    https://forums.spybot.info/showthrea...sion-of-spybot
    If something happens that you are unable to contact Support due to similar errors, please post back here and let me know.
    Will do so, thank you very much for your time and effort.

RaulQ

You're welcome.

Red face

Thank You very much Zenobia for your time and help.
    I upgraded Firefox to very latest version 52.0.1 and SpyBot installed without a glitch a few minutes ago.
    Was this the reason for the succesfull installation? only the SpyBot Gods know. :-D

- over and out
    RaulQ

You're welcome. I'm glad Spybot installed okay now.