Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Impossible to install

Default Impossible to install

Hi All,

During Win10 install I get this message:

The Start Center does fire up though.

But when clicking System Scan I get this message:

Updating seems to work fine but does not solve the issue.

I have installed , rebooted, and re-installed various times and downloaded the exe from various sources. All the time the same issues.

Clicking the email support link takes me to a blank browser page.

Now what ?

Thanks in advance for your help

Duncan
    Last edited by GeneralError; 2017-06-25 at 18:34.

This was from a few versions ago but this person here posted that this error happens if you untick the integration of windows security center during installation:
    https://forums.spybot.info/showthrea...l=1#post447904
    During Spybot installation, on the Installation & Usage Mode page there is the option to pick either 'I want to be protected without having to attend to it myself', or 'I want more control ,more feedback, and more responsibility'. If you pick 'I want more control ,more feedback, and more responsibility' and then hit next, agree to the license agreement, then the Select Components screen appears, and that would be what e1q3z9c7 was referring to, because it is on that select components screen that
    Windows Security Integration can be unchecked. Is there any chance that might be what is happening in your case?

Some other thoughts I have on it is possibly that a security program might be stopping SDWSCSvc from being installed, could you tell me what other security programs you have installed?

A couple other questions:You are installing on an administrator account?

Your computer is acting okay? And, which version of Spybot are you installing, Spybot 2.4 or 2.6?

Hi Zenobia,

Thanks for your response.

Also run McAfee, but when disabling the fire wall and real time scanning I still have the issue.

I indeed unticked the box for windows security center integration. Re installing with that unwanted option selected went fine. So seem that is the problem. Thank you very much.

According to https://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?69613 This bug was reported about 4 years ago !!!!!!!
    Last edited by GeneralError; 2017-07-01 at 14:41.

You're welcome.
    Now that you have Spybot installed okay, if you prefer not to have the Security Center Service installed, you should be able to remove it without getting the same error that you did when installing. If you prefer to uninstall it, you'd open Spybot Start Center as administrator, checkmark Advanced User Mode, click Settings, then select the System Services tab. Under Security Center Service, uncheck Active after every reboot, then click Stop to stop the service, then click the arrow and select Uninstall, then click the Apply and OK buttons to exit.

Lightbulb

Thank you very much Zenobia.

Still wondering why this bug still exists after 4 years though.

You're welcome.

The bug might have been missed. I think the post I linked you to was the only time I've noticed it mentioned. I know I never reported it when I had a beta a few years back, because I forgot. You can tell them if you like. There's a feedback button under support, it says there that is where bugs can be reported.
    https://www.safer-networking.org/support/ticket/

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    You're welcome.
    Now that you have Spybot installed okay, if you prefer not to have the Security Center Service installed, you should be able to remove it without getting the same error that you did when installing. If you prefer to uninstall it, you'd open Spybot Start Center as administrator, checkmark Advanced User Mode, click Settings, then select the System Services tab. Under Security Center Service, uncheck Active after every reboot, then click Stop to stop the service, then click the arrow and select Uninstall, then click the Apply and OK buttons to exit.
    Thanks for this. I just ran into the same problem. Given the result, it seems as if it should either be disallowed from being unchecked on install, or, if it *is* allowed to be unchecked, given that the files seem necessary for other functions, it should still install the necessary files, but just not enable the service.

You're welcome.

Given the result, it seems as if it should either be disallowed from being unchecked on install, or, if it *is* allowed to be unchecked, given that the files seem necessary for other functions, it should still install the necessary files, but just not enable the service.
    Those seem like good suggestions to me. You could send that along to Team Spybot via the feedback button, if you like.
    https://www.safer-networking.org/support/ticket/

Oh. Brother. I was trying to fix a computer that just so happened to have problems installing software, so this was a VERY misleading bug. I just assumed Windows was still having problems installing software, just like with every other program it tries to install. Even after I thought I fixed it.

Lesson learned I guess...Don't uncheck optional installation components on software unless you KNOW it's OK to...

Oh. Brother. I was trying to fix a computer that just so happened to have problems installing software, so this was a VERY misleading bug. I just assumed Windows was still having problems installing software, just like with every other program it tries to install. Even after I thought I fixed it.
    Well, that's just plain unlucky. Have you recently started the habit of breaking mirrors, and/or walking under ladders?

Just kidding. I thought only I had bad luck like that.