Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Temporary Immunization

Default Temporary Immunization

Temporary Immunization

When I run an immunization check, I get this message:

"221930 of 221934 entries are already immunized, but 4 are still unprotected!"

Then I apply immunization, after which I get this message:

"All 221934 entries are immunized!"

Then I exit Spybot, relaunch Spybot, and run immunization again. Afterwards, this is the message Spybot displays:

"221930 of 221934 entries are already immunized, but 4 are still unprotected!"

Then I apply immunization again, which results in this message:

"All 221934 entries are immunized!"

Each time I repeat this sequence of actions, I get the same results. I am running Spybot as the Administrator. I am using Spybot 2.4. My OS is 32 bit Windows Vista. Is there any more information that Safer-Networking would like me to provide?

When you open the immunization page, down in the lower right corner it says "Show Details". Could you click that, then scroll through the list and find where it says there are 4 unprotected, then post on here in what category the 4 unprotected are in?

Default Temporary Immunizaton

Thanks for asking the right question, Zenobia. Here are the results I got:

Global (Hosts) (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts.)

Unprocessed: 0
    Unprotected: 4
    Protected: 15625
    Total: 15629

You're welcome.
    Do you have any security software running that has real-time protection?

Default Temporary Immunizaton

Yes I do. Could any of these applications be causing the problem?

1. AVG Free
    2. Malwarebytes
    3. Spybot Search & Destroy

It's possible, but usually you would get a notification from one of the security product's real-time protection if it blocked/removed something when you were attempting to immunize. It's worthwhile to look into that, though, just in case.
    Do you have the AVG Free 2017 version?

Default Me too

I have the same error message and it seems to only occur on my systems that has Avast Free installed. The few Systems I have (a mix of Win7 and Win10) that only have Malwarebytes as the sole Antivirus do not display this SpyBot error.

Error:
    "... but 4 are still unprotected!"

BobxT

Are the four unprotected in yours also in the global hosts category? You could look in the Virus Chest and see if anything listed in there seems related to the Hosts file or Spybot. Original location would be the best thing to look at, most likely:
    https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB21#idt_10

I haven't had Avast Antivirus for a while now, does it have any kind of hosts file blocking or anything like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    Are the four unprotected in yours also in the global hosts category?
    YES.

Also nothing in the Avast Free Virus Chest. And no reference within Avast referring to the hosts file.

I have also tried backing up the hosts file and restoring the original blank, default, Windows 7 host file. ie same as when Windows 7 first installed and host file is "empty", only with comments (starting with "#") in the file.

I have also completely disabled Avast Free and run Spybot in update and Immunization modes. Same result with "... but 4 are still unprotected!".

BobxT

I looked for anything with Avast changing the Hosts file automatically, and I could only find one thread. By the end of it, I guess it wasn't Avast changing it:
    https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=179821.0
    That was from a few years ago, also. Ultimately, it looks like it wasn't Avast related.

I did look at some instructions for Avast. I think the File System Shield might be the part of Avast which might handle changes to the hosts file (it has been a few years since I had Avast, though, so not 100% certain.)
    https://help.avast.com/en/av_free/17...d_on_exec.html
    If you click the Actions down arrow, it shows the default action is:
    Fix automatically (default): attempts to repair the file. If unsuccessful, moves the file to the Virus Chest or deletes the file if neither action is successful
    So, if the 4 unimmunized hosts file entries are due to Avast, it could be possible that Avast is able to fix it automatically, therefore nothing shows in the Virus Chest. You should get a notification if that happens, though. So could you open the Actions screen and check to see that "Show a notification window when action is taken: notifies you each time an action is applied by the Shield." is ticked? From the looks of it, you might have to check under each detection type: Virus, PUP or Suspicious