Thread: Win 10 started reporting that Defender and Spybot are not active. ...

Default Win 10 started reporting that Defender and Spybot are not active. ...

Spy bot tells me it is active but win 10 everytime i boot tells me it is not active. How do I know??

Quote Originally Posted by dtsig View Post
    Spy bot tells me it is active but win 10 everytime i boot tells me it is not active. How do I know??
    By the way .. i have already implemented the fix that was available about a month or so ago .. it had been working well until yesterday

I see you were part of this thread here:
    https://forums.spybot.info/showthrea...t-run&p=475873
    Is your Live Protection on currently?

yeah .. sorry .. i meant that to be the point .. start center/settings has live checked and says live protection on. Windows tells me it is off
    Last edited by dtsig; 2017-07-10 at 02:33.

You can check if Spybot's Security Center Service is running. Rightclick Spybot Start Center, checkmark Advanced Mode, click Settings, then select the System Services tab. If the Security Center Service is stopped, then that is the likely reason that Windows is reporting Spybot is off. You can attempt to start the Security Center Service if it is stopped, if it does start then click Apply, and OK. However, it is likely that you may get an error when you attempt to start the Security Center service, and in that case you'll have to leave it as is. If the service doesn't start, then Windows will most likely to continue to report that Spybot is off. However, if Live Protection is running then everything should be okay.

If you look and Spybot's Security Center is running, could you please post back and tell me.

Usually, if Spybot is being detected by Windows as off, then Windows Defender should come on, according to this:
    https://www.safer-networking.org/faq...er-windows-10/
    (You don't need to follow that page, I'm just posting so you can see that normally Windows Defender would turn on if the Spybot Security Center is off.)
    I'm not sure why your Windows Defender is showing as off, but if Live Protection is on then that should be okay, you don't want two live/real-time protections running at the same time.

If at any time you notice Live Protection is not on, then you ought to enable Windows Defender's real time protection instead.

Or, if Windows reporting that Spybot is not on makes you feel uneasy in any way, and you need help with it just post here and I'll help you to disable Live Protection and enable Windows Defender.

I believe I made a mistake in my earlier post. If Spybot's Security Center Service is not running, rather than Windows 10's Security and Maintenance reporting that Spybot is off, I believe that Security and Maintenance actually stops monitoring Spybot. Sorry about that.
    You can still look and see if Spybot's Security Center Service is running or not with the instructions from my earlier post, though.

Also, in light of that, I know Live Protection is showing as On in Start Center, has it also been scanning processes on your computer,etc.? I can't remember or find exactly what Live Protection is called in Processes, but if you rightclick your taskbar and open Task Manager, could you scroll through and see if there are any "On Access protection dialog: showing in there, or anything that seems related to Live Protection? Not to be a worry-wart, but just in case.

Thanks Zenobia. I have checked through the Start Center/Settings/Services and it says everything is running .. I checked services through taskmanager and it shows 3 running services again.
    I think that it is running .. but with windows continuing to tell me it isn't .. it is a worry.
    Thanks again

You're welcome. Thanks for checking the services for me.
    In all honesty, Windows reporting that Spybot is off is worrying me a bit, too. I know if Live Protection is running, then all should be okay. But, I cannot fathom what is making Windows report that Spybot is off.

Down in Cortana's search bar (it will say Type here to search) can you type Security and Maintenance, then click on Security and Maintenance to open it. Under Security, then Virus Protection (Important), if it says that Spybot is turned off, could you click the Turn on now button, and let me know what happens?

tried that. It said that defender and spy bot were both off. I clicked on the options and clicked on 'start spybot' and yes I am sure. The screen flashed then came back to the security screen. It says they are still both off.

By the way the wording on the option to start spybot is pretty 'wierd'. "Turn on and update Spybot - Search and destroy..Choosing this option will run a signed app registered to spybot search and destroy that windows can't monitor"

If they can't monitor it how will they know if it is working or not

Okay, thanks for posting that.
    In light of that, you should contact Spybot Support as they're best equipped to help you with that, and/or let you know if that is related to this issue from before, or is a new one.
    https://www.safer-networking.org/sup...ket/technical/
    You'll want to pick the "I have a license" button, and continue on from there. Make sure you let them know that you are seeing Live Protection as On, but you are being notified that Spybot and Windows Defender is off. Make sure you include this info:
    "Turn on and update Spybot - Search and destroy..Choosing this option will run a signed app registered to spybot search and destroy that windows can't monitor"
    You can also include a link to here when you contact them if you would like to.
    Good luck, I hope all goes well.