Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Passive Protection Part Failure?

Wow, you've been busy, you uninstalled Firefox and everything, that is above and beyond the call of duty.
    It looks like some elements of the Firefox Program remained as I just did a reinstall of the browser from a new download and when I opened it up I found all my Bookmarks and 'security' items still in place!
    Firefox usually does leave behind the profile folder when it's uninstalled so that users don't lose their bookmarks, etc. I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think the profile folder being left behind would cause Spybot to detect it as an open browser, though.

Not to be distracted from the 4 unimmunized hosts file entries, but just to go over some things about Firefox I find a bit odd, and I've been unable to find anything about them online anywhere.
    'You should close "Firefox (SYSTEM)" to make sure an immunization is successful'
    I notice that says System. If I am remembering this right (and it's very possible I'm not, so don't let this alarm you.), when Spybot detects Firefox open browser before immunization, the name in brackets is the name of the account that it is being run on, while looking in Immunization itself shows the profile name instead. In that case, it would look like Spybot might be possibly running from an account named System. I don't imagine the Windows account you are logged into now is called System, is it? I also find it odd that when you went to shut down Firefox the first time, it wasn't available in Task manager, and I also find it odd that after you uninstalled Firefox Spybot still detected Firefox as an open browser. This could well be a technical problem with Firefox, I'm sure. And you have ran scans and they have come up clean, so that is good. And everything is running okay on your computer? You haven't noticed anything different happening lately?

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    Wow, you've been busy, you uninstalled Firefox and everything, that is above and beyond the call of duty.

Firefox usually does leave behind the profile folder when it's uninstalled so that users don't lose their bookmarks, etc. I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think the profile folder being left behind would cause Spybot to detect it as an open browser, though.

Not to be distracted from the 4 unimmunized hosts file entries, but just to go over some things about Firefox I find a bit odd, and I've been unable to find anything about them online anywhere.

I notice that says System. If I am remembering this right (and it's very possible I'm not, so don't let this alarm you.), when Spybot detects Firefox open browser before immunization, the name in brackets is the name of the account that it is being run on, while looking in Immunization itself shows the profile name instead. In that case, it would look like Spybot might be possibly running from an account named System. I don't imagine the Windows account you are logged into now is called System, is it? I also find it odd that when you went to shut down Firefox the first time, it wasn't available in Task manager, and I also find it odd that after you uninstalled Firefox Spybot still detected Firefox as an open browser. This could well be a technical problem with Firefox, I'm sure. And you have ran scans and they have come up clean, so that is good. And everything is running okay on your computer? You haven't noticed anything different happening lately?
    Hi Zenobia,

The above and beyond the call of duty is from this end I just want to see if we can resolve this issue.

The account I am running from now using Chrome is not called 'System'. According to 'Task Manager' in Processes it is in a list under a heading called 'Apps'

'System' I found also in Task Manager which is under a heading 'Windows processes'

I reinstalled Firefox and left it open while I then opened and tried Spybot, Immunization.
    The message I then got was, different!.........

'You should close "Firefox (***PC)" to make sure an immunization is successful'

The ***PC is the name of my laptop.

I am not sure if when you install Spybot S&D if the choice of location for the installation is automatic so it is installed in the 'Program Files(86)' or you can select another location?
    So need to pick your brains on that one please?
    Then I could uninstall Spybot S&D 2 download a new install file and if it allows me to choose another Folder like 'Programs' as opposed to Programs(86) then install to that folder and see what happens after updating and running Immunization?

Cheers

Hello, hope you're having a good afternoon.

I am not sure if when you install Spybot S&D if the choice of location for the installation is automatic so it is installed in the 'Program Files(86)' or you can select another location?
    So need to pick your brains on that one please?
    Then I could uninstall Spybot S&D 2 download a new install file and if it allows me to choose another Folder like 'Programs' as opposed to Programs(86) then install to that folder and see what happens after updating and running Immunization?
    Yes, you can select another location to install Spybot, though the default location on a 64-bit Windows would be Program Files (x86). However, I don't recommend installing Spybot to the Program Files folder because 64-bit applications go there and 32-bit Programs go into Program Files (x86) You can see more about that here:
    https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-di...gram-files-x86
    Also, installing Spybot to another location is unlikely to fix any immunization issues, so while it's a good idea to try different things, in this case you ought to skip doing that.

'System' I found also in Task Manager which is under a heading 'Windows processes'
    That's normal to see in task manager, and is unrelated to the 'You should close "Firefox (SYSTEM)" to make sure an immunization is successful' message.

The reason I found the "You should close "Firefox (SYSTEM)" to make sure an immunization is successful'" odd is because usually, as I recall, the name in brackets is usually the name of your account on Windows. So, if I saw that message when opening immunization, I would likely see "You should close "Firefox (Zenobia)" to make sure an immunization is successful'
    'You should close "Firefox (***PC)" to make sure an immunization is successful'

The ***PC is the name of my laptop.
    Firefox (***PC) would also be something that was normal to see, too.

Firefox running from a System account seems unusual, and I couldn't find any info on that online, so I wanted to ask you about it to see if you knew about it running from there, etc., as I was worried Firefox running from there might be a Firefox technical or perhaps malware related type of issue or problem. But perhaps where you now are seeing Firefox (***PC), then maybe the "Firefox (SYSTEM)" was just a bit of a glitch.

So, since we haven't uncovered any insight into the hosts file not having four of the hosts file entries from Spybot, then it would be best to contact Spybot support now.
    https://www.safer-networking.org/sup...ket/technical/
    Good luck with support. I hope the hosts file issue is resolved.

Hi Zenobia.

I am having to use my mobile to reply to your message as which uses Safari as the browser.
    My laptop and Google Chrome are blocking access to the Forum telling me there is a Privacy issue with the website!
    So I have sent a request to Tech Support and hopefully they can sort it out as it looks like a Certificate issue, as I can access other Secure Forums that use https!

Hope it's not long as I can't stand using the mobile for this!
    Cheers

Hello.
    Yes, when I saw your post I opened Chrome and came to these forums, and I got a "Your connection is not private" error, too. I don't get the error when I use Firefox or Edge, though. On Firefox I see "secure connection" when I click on Safer-Networking Ltd. in the upper left corner and then when clicking the arrow it says verified by: Startcom Ltd. I'm not sure why that is happening on Chrome. I'm not sure who to contact about that, so I'll send a message to the moderator and let her know.

Hello.
    Yes, when I saw your post I opened Chrome and came to these forums, and I got a "Your connection is not private" error, too. I don't get the error when I use Firefox or Edge, though. On Firefox I see "secure connection" when I click on Safer-Networking Ltd. in the upper left corner and then when clicking the arrow it says verified by: Startcom Ltd. I'm not sure why that is happening on Chrome. I'm not sure who to contact about that, so I'll send a message to the moderator and let her know.
    Hi Zenobia,

This was weird as this morning I could not get in with either Chrome or Firefox.
    Now I can get into the Forum using Firefox, but Chrome still rejects any attempt which makes me think that Chrome is being 'nasty' as it has with other programs.

I have opened a support request to see if a solution can be provided to the Passive Protection 'problem' and will let you know the outcome when the guys get back to me.

Thanks.

Hi, Traveller11.

Yes, when I checked earlier, besides the Chrome error, when I used Edge to come to the Spybot Forums it took an unusual amount of time to connect to the forums, though Firefox was just normal. I messaged the moderator about the Chrome error, and she'll pass it along for us.

I have opened a support request to see if a solution can be provided to the Passive Protection 'problem' and will let you know the outcome when the guys get back to me.
    Okay, thank you very much.

Hello Zenobia,

I got a reply to my 'Ticket' which is as follows.........

To ensure that Immunization is applied correctly, Please disable all other security programs that you run and close all browsers and any other programs during the work with Spybot - Search & Destroy.

You need to run the immunization with elevated privileges, otherwise all global immunizations will fail.

To Immunize your browser:

- Open Spybot "Start Center" by right clicking on the icon and choosing "Run as administrator".

- Go to "Immunization"

- Click "Check System" then click "Apply Immunization"

The main reasons why Immunization would fail are:

- A path is not detected.

- The object is blocked by something e.g a security program.

- The user does not have appropriate rights for Immunizing an object.

I followed it to the letter and at the end of running Immunization I got the same result '4 remain unprotected'!

The results have been sent back to Spybot.

Meanwhile I have got access to the Forum on Chrome after going back to a previous Back-up Image and re-installing it.
    So I think the 'problem' with the access coming up 'Unsecure' was a corruption somewhere.

Feels a bit like 3 steps forward and 2 back at the moment!

Cheers

Good morning.
    Meanwhile I have got access to the Forum on Chrome after going back to a previous Back-up Image and re-installing it.
    So I think the 'problem' with the access coming up 'Unsecure' was a corruption somewhere.
    I heard back from tashi, and that error is all fixed now.

After they reply the next time, if the hosts file is still not immunized, if you hadn't mentioned it already, you could tell them that you, and two others have 4 items that will not be immunized in the hosts file, and include links to those posts and the link to this post in the email you write back to them if you would like to:
    https://forums.spybot.info/showthrea...y-Immunization
    https://forums.spybot.info/showthrea...ilure&p=477003
    Three people each having 4 items in hosts that won't stay immunized could just be a coincidence, or it could be some sort of common reason. I noticed Team Spybot is pretty good about attempting to reproduce issues like this whenever I read their posts on the forums, so it's possible they might do some testing on it or something like that. Though that's pure speculation on my part, of course.

Good morning.

I heard back from tashi, and that error is all fixed now.

After they reply the next time, if the hosts file is still not immunized, if you hadn't mentioned it already, you could tell them that you, and two others have 4 items that will not be immunized in the hosts file, and include links to those posts and the link to this post in the email you write back to them if you would like to:
    https://forums.spybot.info/showthrea...y-Immunization
    https://forums.spybot.info/showthrea...ilure&p=477003
    Three people each having 4 items in hosts that won't stay immunized could just be a coincidence, or it could be some sort of common reason. I noticed Team Spybot is pretty good about attempting to reproduce issues like this whenever I read their posts on the forums, so it's possible they might do some testing on it or something like that. Though that's pure speculation on my part, of course.
    Good afternoon!

I did wonder if the 'security compromise' was due to an 'Accounting Error' where the fee for the security certificate had been overlooked?
    Hush my

IMMUNIZATION.........!

I will pick up the other members having 'Trouble in't Mill' as they say across the Pennines which is a mountain range in the UK!
    BUT I can make that even more as my good lady has got the exact same 'problem' on her laptop which was a Win 8.1 Free Upgrade to Win 10 and to be honest it is 'different' when it runs!
    So now we have 4 while I bet there are others not in the Forum??

I also tried the answer that I got from SB Technical Support exactly as written which one again 'failed' and the 4 Musketeers are still 'operating'!
    OK I know the film says 3 Musketeers but I remember hearing that there were originally 4!!