Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Passive Protection Part Failure?

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    There were some troubles with Zone Alarm lock hosts file and Spybot Immunization a very long time ago. Here's an example thread here. (The lock hosts file bug is long gone, though, so you can ignore that part.)
    https://forums.spybot.info/showthrea...bot-Hosts-file
    But it used to cause an error, I never dreamed that the four missing hosts file entries would be due to that in the present day. Thanks so much for posting back about it.
    Hi Zenobia!

WOW! That was a L O N G time ago when that excellent operating system XP was in use!!!

So if now in Win10 if the 'lock hosts file bug' is long gone am I correct in thinking that the 'Box' in ZA that locks the hosts file can now be safely left 'Unchecked'?

Turning it on and off is a bit of an imposition to go through before and after running the SB Immunization scan, and thinking of computer users who might not be as competent in carrying this out, then if leaving it Unchecked will make it easier for them!

Cheers.

UPDATE!

I just updated SB which installed 4 files and then ran Immunization which completed with NO 'problems' even though the Global Hosts file in ZA was 'locked'.

Seems strange as I would have thought that SB would not have been able to access it when ZA 'locked' it!
    But as they say 'Stranger things have happened at sea or on the far side of Mars!'

Yes, those poor ole XPs. I remember having to defrag and such and not batting an eye, but now it just seems so clunky.

As I remember, the hosts file was supposed to stay unlocked by default with Zone Alarm, and then Users could choose to lock the hosts file if they wanted to. But the Zone Alarm bug was that Zone Alarm used to lock the hosts file even when the checkbox to do so was unchecked. It was a l'il glitch that they fixed a bit later on. Glad your host file is immunizing okay now.

Unhappy same issue

i have the exact same issue...i'll run immunization but it wont clear 4 issues...i have Spybot and 1.6 an same issue in both

please help

Angry typo

i have Spybot 1.6 and Spybot 2.6 the 4 programs show as needed to Immunize...but even after i agree to let the program it still shows the 4 programs

please tell me how to Immunize these 4 issues...its on both programs so frustrated

Quote Originally Posted by KateAkaGunner View Post
    i have Spybot 1.6 and Spybot 2.6 the 4 programs show as needed to Immunize...but even after i agree to let the program it still shows the 4 programs

please tell me how to Immunize these 4 issues...its on both programs so frustrated
    Hello KateAkaGunner,

Not sure why you have both 1.6 and 2.6 installed as you only need 2.6.........
    But........

I assume you are using Zone Alarm Firewall?
    If that is the case then Page 3 of this 'Topic' then look for '29' in the right hand corner and that reply tells you how to correct the problem to allow Immunization to work fully.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    Yes, those poor ole XPs. I remember having to defrag and such and not batting an eye, but now it just seems so clunky.

As I remember, the hosts file was supposed to stay unlocked by default with Zone Alarm, and then Users could choose to lock the hosts file if they wanted to. But the Zone Alarm bug was that Zone Alarm used to lock the hosts file even when the checkbox to do so was unchecked. It was a l'il glitch that they fixed a bit later on. Glad your host file is immunizing okay now.
    Now' wrong with XP, it was and still is the most stable operating system released by MS. In fact a lot of companies are still using it on mainframes as nothing can come near it.

My Desktop is set up with it and it is faster than my laptop, but then I cannot take my Desktop to these foreign countries in my suitcase!!! (Shame really!)

Hello,

Quote Originally Posted by Traveller11 View Post
    Now' wrong with XP, it was and still is the most stable operating system released by MS. In fact a lot of companies are still using it on mainframes as nothing can come near it.
    For those seeking information posts #6 and #7 contain links to articles regarding Microsoft end of support for XP.

Here:
    https://forums.spybot.info/showthrea...l=1#post439680

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Thanks, tashi. I had an old computer with XP, when support from Microsoft for XP was discontinued I installed one of the easier to use versions of Linux on it for safety reasons. I wasn't real thrilled at the time but I realized that having an operating system with no updates just wasn't safe because the makers of malware,etc. come out with newer and more sophisticated things all the time, and imo updates are needed to help counteract that with security updates etc., so I bit the bullet and went with Linux on that computer. I wasn't expecting to, but to my surprise I really liked the Linux os. If you wanted an alternatve to XP since Microsft support is discontinued, you might like to look into one of the linux operating systems some time, Travellor11.

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Hello,

For those seeking information posts #6 and #7 contain links to articles regarding Microsoft end of support for XP.

Here:
    https://forums.spybot.info/showthrea...l=1#post439680

Best regards.
    Interesting reading as Microsoft backed off and are supporting Commercial Users of XP till 2020.

Having said that I never use IE to access the Internet on my XP machine as you can drive a BUS through a lot of the security holes in it.

I also removed Google Chrome which is not updated but was proving to be a 'PITA' and at times has been just as bad on my Win10 laptop.

Mozilla Firefox however works very well and is updated for use with XP.

While after all that I have several friends who are still using Win98 and are so far 'problem free'

I will however take a look at Linux OS and providing it can be easily installed and will run with the likes of Microsoft Office 2010 Professional then we will give it a go!
    My desktop is running to good to just put on the scrap heap which is what I think the folks in Marketing would like to see!!!