Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't Want Cookies Deleted!

Default Don't Want Cookies Deleted!

There may be a way and I've just missed it in the dialogues, but can I prevent SpyBot from deleting cookies in FireFox during a scan? I use the 'remember me/stay logged in' options for several web sites to make it easier to log in to them. But after a SpyBot scan, these sites require me to re-enter all my login information as though they've never heard of me before, and they will then remember them until the next time I run SpyBot. I've stopped using SpyBot because of this "feature".

Hello Cartaphilus,

To disable the detection of tracking cookies during a System Scan:

• Open Spybot by right-clicking on the Spybot icon and choosing the option to “Run as administrator”.
    • Go to System Scan.
    • The System Scan window will open and a scan will begin automatically.
    • Stop the System Scan.
    • You can then click “Disable these cookies” under the “Tracking Cookies” header.
    • This will prompt you to select the profile that you would like to prevent from accepting 3rd party cookies.
    • You can re-enable certain profiles by clicking on the dropdown arrow beside “Disable these cookies”.

https://www.safer-networking.org/faq...cking-cookies/

Hope that helps.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Hello Cartaphilus,

To disable the detection of tracking cookies during a System Scan:

• Open Spybot by right-clicking on the Spybot icon and choosing the option to “Run as administrator”.
    • Go to System Scan.
    • The System Scan window will open and a scan will begin automatically.
    • Stop the System Scan.
    • You can then click “Disable these cookies” under the “Tracking Cookies” header.
    • This will prompt you to select the profile that you would like to prevent from accepting 3rd party cookies.
    • You can re-enable certain profiles by clicking on the dropdown arrow beside “Disable these cookies”.

https://www.safer-networking.org/faq...cking-cookies/

Hope that helps.
    Tashi,

Thanks for answering, but I'm not sure that your reply addresses the issue. I don't want to prevent FireFox from accepting a 3rd party cookie, I want to prevent SpyBot from deleting them. Let me give you an example of the problem in more detail: (a) I go to http://www.examplewebsite.com the first time and I'm asked to enter my user id and my password. I do that, and I also check a box that says something like "Remember user id on this computer.". (b) Now, anytime in the future that I go to http://www.examplewebsite.com, the user id field is automatically filled in, and all I have to enter is my password. (c) Until, that is, I run a SpyBot scan. After the scan completes, the next time I go to http://www.examplewebsite.com, it requires me to enter my user id as though this is the first time I've visited the site.

I have several sites that I routinely access in this manner, and it's a major inconvenience to have to go to my password safe after every SpyBot scan and look up and re-enter the user ids, which will just go away again after I run SpyBot again. That's why I've stopped using it.

Can this behavior by SpyBot be stopped?

Hello Cartaphilus,

Sorry if it is confusing, could you check your profile settings in Spybot please.

From the FAQ:

With Firefox open please go to “Options” from the “Tools” menu. Click the “Privacy” icon, and open the “Cookies” category.

What are your settings for "Accept third-party cookies" please.

Best regards.

Hello Cartaphilus,

Sorry if it is confusing, could you check your profile settings in Spybot please.

From the FAQ:

With Firefox open please go to “Options” from the “Tools” menu. Click the “Privacy” icon, and open the “Cookies” category.

What are your settings for "Accept third-party cookies" please.

Best regards.
    Yes, Tashi, it is indeed very confusing. It is so confusing that I have absolutely no idea of why I should tell FireFox not to accept 3rd party cookies. It seems logical to me that the problem I'm encountering has absolutely nothing to do with FireFox's behavior. FireFox is working the way I want it to until after I run SpyBot! That implies the problem is with SpyBot, not with FireFox. It appears to me that what you're telling me to do is to check my electricity if I open a tap at the sink and no water comes out!

Please explain to me how telling FireFox not to accept 3rd party cookies is going to prevent SpyBot from messing up my browser.

Hello Cartaphilus,

Quote Originally Posted by Cartaphilus View Post
    It is so confusing that I have absolutely no idea of why I should tell FireFox not to accept 3rd party cookies.
    I asked, "What are your settings for "Accept third-party cookies" please." In Firefox.

• Always
    • From visited
    • Never

The next option.

Keep until
    • they expire
    • I close Firefox

Best regards.

Hello Cartaphilus,

I asked, "What are your settings for "Accept third-party cookies" please." In Firefox.

• Always
    • From visited
    • Never

The next option.

Keep until
    • they expire
    • I close Firefox

Best regards.
    never, until they expire

Thank you Cartaphilus,

Please open a support ticket here and provide a link to this topic.

Best regards.

Question

Hi,

I have the latest free version of Spybot. Recently I ran the update, immunize, and scan features after more time than I prefer to admit. As with the originator of this thread, all of my cookies were deleted, and I had to re-login to all of the sites that I have whitelisted on Cookiebro. For additional context, I have third-party cookies disabled in Firefox.

Since this thread was posted in 2017, I was interested in finding out if the same procedure for Disable These Cookies still applies. However, the link provided in tashi's post on 09-06-17, 03:16 PM is a dead link.

Does anyone have a current link to the procedure for Disable These Cookies?

Thanks in advance,

ajk1962f

The spybot website was redone a bit a while back, and some links no longer work, hence the dead link.

You could set Spybot not to scan for usage tracks. That should stop it from removing cookies entirely.
    http://www.safer-networking.org/faq/usage-tracks/
    If you prefer to do that, you could rightclick Spybot Start Center, select Run as Administrator, in the lower right of the start center select Show Details. Checkmark Advanced User Mode if it's unchecked, then select Settings. Click categories,and somewhere within the Spybot window rightclick and select spyware scan only. That would stop Spybot from searching for usage tracks altogether.

If you'd rather still scan for usage tracks, then you could uncheck Cookies before pressing fix selected after each scan.