Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Spybot & Windows Security Centre.....warning

I am unable to exclude this detection. If I allow it to "fix" them, my protection programs are all screwed up after.

I don't want to have to bother unchecking these items each and every time, but exclude is greyed out. (I have tried highlighting the main line as well as the settings line)

Please help

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

This should work:
    • If you want to "Exclude this detection from further searches":
      • Expand the detection (+ to the left of the detection).
      • Select the item (entry) that you want to exclude by left clicking on it to highlight it.
      • Then right click on highlighted detection to bring the context menu.
      • In the context menu select "Exclude this detection from further searches".

In other words left click to select then right click to display options. If you don't select (highlight) the item first the options menu is for the entire detection list.

If that does not work:
    • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Ignore products > Security tab and check the items there.

Note: The Windows Security Center detections have been separated into individual "Products" to facilitate exclusion. Therefore they can be checked for exclusion as individually as "Products" in advanced mode.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

The first suggestion did not work. No matter what was highlighted, the exclude option never became available for me.

The advanced mode under products did work though. Thank you!

Question "Exclude this..." and related question comment

Hi, I had the same two notification-warnings come up. I found that clicking on the "Exclude this product..." option the first notification didn't reappear when rescanning but the second one did.
    On a related note, when I went to send in a bug report describing the problem, I got the Following message when I clicked send.
    "Warning: mail(): Could not execute mail delivery program '/usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i ' in /homepages/14/d83789217/htdocs/spybot/scripts/emailform.php on line 164

Thank you, you will get a response soon"

So I'm not sure if the email got thru or if I may have caused myself a problem
    in using the "Excude this product...." option memtioned above.

Thanks for any comments about this.
    gaskibba

gaskibba:

Did you ""Exclude this product from further searches" for each detection separately?

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

md usa spybot fan:

Yes I did each seperately. I've went to the exclude products list in the advanced mode and found that I have 7 "Windows Security" entries.
    Somethings not quite right. I'm thinking of backing up via System Restore to where I was this morning.

gaskibba:

I assume that you are looking in Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > settings > Ignore products > in either the All products or Security.sbi tab. There are currently seven (7) different Windows Security Center detections:
    • Windows Security Center.AntiVirusDisableNotify
    • Windows Security Center.AntiVirusOverride
    • Windows Security Center.FirewallDisableNotify
    • Windows Security Center.FirewallOverride
    • Windows Security Center.SP2Update
    • Windows Security Center.TaskManager
    • Windows Security Center.UpdateDisableNotify

You should only check the two (2) that you want to exclude.

Note: If you can't see the full name of the product, expand the Product column of the screen by placing the cursor in the column title bar between the Product and Detail columns until the column separator move symbol appears (cross with arrow heads pointing left and right), press and hold the left mouse button and drag the column separator to the right.

Lightbulb Feature Request for Windows Security Center Detections

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra
    Since the Detections Update from July 25, 2005, Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4 has been detecting Security Risks (renamed to "Windows Security Center" on July 30) associated with Microsoft Security Center Registry changes. This is neither a false positive nor a bug. It is just an information.
    Spybot-S&D only wants to bring to your attention that "someone" disabled one or more notifications in the Windows Security Center, e.g. the notifications that your virus protection is not active or not up-to-date. If you changed the settings yourself you can safely tell Spybot-S&D to exclude those detections from further scans.
    The same is true if you have another security solution installed (like McAfee Security Center or Norton Internet Security). These programs do also disable the Windows Security Center in order to take care of things themselves.
    The reason why the changes are flagged by Spybot-S&D is that there are also malware programs that disable the notifications so the user doesn't take note of his security tools not being effective.
    First, thank you for the clear and concise explanation of what is being detected and why. In fact, I found it so helpfuly, I have a Feature Request because of it. And, since I couldn't find where one puts Feature Requests, I'm putting it here. My apologies if I missed the right place to post it; I have an amazing ability to miss the obvious. Anyway, feel free to forward/move/whatever this post to the right place if I have missed where to make a feature request. That said, on to the feature request:

It would be very handy if your explanation (in some form) would be given when clicking the Information tab found on the right in Search & Destroy. This way those of us running Mcafee, Norton, etc can know this is a normal result quickly, saving us from panic, and letting us know to just exclude the result from future checks.

As I imagine that those of use safety-minded among us to be running Spybot-S&D! in the first place also run Mcafee, Norton, and the like, I think it would benefit a great number of users as well as cutting down on us having to search the forums and those of you in Support from having to explain (again) not to worry. (I'm a big fan of saving time and effort for everyone)

In any case, thanks again for the information.

FredOp
    The Overly Wordy User
    Last edited by FredOp; 2005-11-14 at 16:45. Reason: Corrected Title

Thanks this pretty much helped me and thanks for solving the issue! For better security, do you recommend I make Windows Security Center my default or Mcafee Security Center. Currently, I chose Macafee.

Don't know what happened but Spybot detected ''Webhancer'' earlier this week and deleted it but since then Spybot has caught all kinds of spyware and cookies; before that my scans were always clean. Apparently this Webhancer is a big pain and has compromised my security!
    Hello,

Since the Detections Update from July 25, 2005, Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4 has been detecting Security Risks (renamed to "Windows Security Center" on July 30) associated with Microsoft Security Center Registry changes. This is neither a false positive nor a bug. It is just an information.
    Spybot-S&D only wants to bring to your attention that "someone" disabled one or more notifications in the Windows Security Center, e.g. the notifications that your virus protection is not active or not up-to-date. If you changed the settings yourself you can safely tell Spybot-S&D to exclude those detections from further scans.
    In order to do so please right-click each in turn, then click "exclude this detection from future scans". That way, should any other part of security center settings change, Spybot-S&D will still detect those.
    The same is true if you have another security solution installed (like McAfee Security Center or Norton Internet Security). These programs do also disable the Windows Security Center in order to take care of things themselves.
    The reason why the changes are flagged by Spybot-S&D is that there are also malware programs that disable the notifications so the user doesn't take note of his security tools not being effective.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Exclamation Windows Security Warning/system crash

Hi All,

My laptop is developing a serious problem. I will run Spybot and 90% of time, halfway through the run, the machine shuts down. The same problem occurs when I run the AVG antivirus software. I have tried other antivirus/antispyware products but they do not pick up anything. The one time I was able to find anything by running Spybot was this:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\SecurutyCentre

Other times I have run Spybot, I have found nothing.

My system will also crash on certain webpages - non adult (whatever it is, it doesn't seem to like certain type of banner ads.) In all cases, the machine's fan will begin to speed up and then suddenly: BANG.

I start up again and no damage seems to be done, except my system does want to check itself for errors.

So at long last my question: what is going on? Most people I've spoken to say I've got some kind of spyware, but I've gone into safe mode, rooted around...and I've found nothing.

Is it related to the Spybot alert above ?

Hoping anyone can help.

Thanks,

Mike