Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Spybot & Windows Security Centre.....warning

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Mcnudde:

re: Machine shut down during Spybot and AVG antivirus scans.

This may sound strange but; Spybot is quite CPU intensive and I imagine AVG antivirus is also. Is it possible that your laptop is shutting down due to a heat related problem? Are the fans in the laptop running properly?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thumbs up It doesn't sound strange...

Hi md usa,

Thanks for getting back... actually what you suggest does not sound strange at all. I had it on my list of probable causes, but didn't give it much thought.

The question is, if this is the cause, what do I do about it? Is there anyway I can adjust the fan on my end? (Probably not) Or do I have to ship it back to the repair shop (been there once already)...doable, since still under warranty, but a huge pain.

I'd appreciate any further insights...

Again, many thanks,

mcnudde

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Mcnudde:

I really don’t know how to advise you other than to suggest that:
    1. You Google for possible similar problems including the make and model of your laptop.
    2. You attempt to listen to the system and see if you can:
      1. Hear if the fan is running.
      2. Hear the fan speed increase during the scan (not every chipset has a speed control capability, but most of the newer ones do).

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thumbs up Thanks

md usa,

Appreciate the help.

Will do as you suggest and will let you know how it works out.

Many thanks once again!

Default My Similar Experience

The Windows Security Center and Norton Internet Security 2006 seem to have a similar problem. I Updated Norton Internet Security from 2004 to 2006 on 1/10/06.
    The next time that I ran SpyBot (1/22/06) it reported “Windows Security Center Firewall Disable Notify as an error.I allowed Spybot to fix the problem. Later, Norton asked if I wanted Windows Security to be the primary firewall. I responded no. I believe that this change to the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify!=dword:0) is necessary if I want Norton to be the primary firewall and Windows Security firewall to be off. During the Install of Norton 2006 Spybot asked for approval of several registry changes. I accepted them all, one of these was likely the Notify Switch. When I had Norton 2004 it didn’t seem to conflict with Windows Security Center.
    Frank C

this happens to me with the anti virus but it keeps coming back and it keeps going red and i keep putting it on yellow but it just goes red again its annoying

Default Thanks for the info

I had the Windows Security disable notices come up on my scan and was not sure what to do.

It was very nice to come here and find well written answers and explanations.

Since I have Norton(2004) I followed the instructions to exclude given here and everything is fine.

Special thanks to MD USA and Spybotsandra

Default RE: Spybot & Windows Security Centre notification settings - FAQ?

Quote Originally Posted by debanks
    Spyboot keeps finding two suspicious and recuring files. Windows Security Centre Firewall\Disable Notify. There is a similar one for Firewall. These files are in Settings HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\SecurutyCentre\Antivirus disable Notify!=dwordO.
    I delete them but they recur. ...
    If I may suggest, this seems like a 'FAQ'. Please consider adding a bit on this topic to the product FAQ (or helpfile, or whever you find makes sense). IMHO, that would be very helpful.

(I was having the same question, and had some difficulty locating this info, almost missed this thread - found it on my third search. I did look in the FAQ and helpfiles and didn't find it. Sorry if it's there and I missed it.)

Thanks to all for the helpful info!!

Default Windows Security Center.AntiVirusDisableNofity and Norton Antivirus

I also had this issue with SpyBot, only with the antivirus, not the firewall. Is it related, or coincidence, that I am also getting a notification from Norton Antivirus that my subscription expired--when it hasn't yet?

I was receiving those two detections regarding Windows Security System everytime I used Spybot S&D. I followed the instructions to exclude these items in future detections. It worked as the detections stopped.

However, when I checked "ignore single detections", these two items were not listed. Is there something wrong or not working?

Thanks...