Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Spybot & Windows Security Centre.....warning

Quote Originally Posted by renegade
    i scanned through this thread but it didn't seem to help me because my computer currently *does* have malware (SurfSideKick) and we're having some problems with that =(
    renegade
    Please follow the instructions in this sticky topic:
    BEFORE you post and who will advise you. Preliminary Steps

Then start your own topic in:
    The Malware Removal Forum

A helper will advise you as soon as available.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

i did read the Before you Post thread, and i've already done everything in it. however running spybot and ad-aware, as well as some other programs, does not help.

however i will try to start my own thread at the other forum. thanks =)

Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Quote Originally Posted by bordello View Post
    I recently ran SpyBot and got the same notifications as the subject of this thread. I wanted to add some additional information for those readers who use Norton AntiVirus (and I'm sure there is something like this for McAfee) who do not want to simply disable the notifications from SpyBot in the future.

Once I got the notification, I followed the steps to see if the notifications were indeed disabled. Control Panel-->Security Center-->Looked under Resources on the left hand side, but noticed that the "Change the way Security Center alerts me" was grayed out. I thought for sure this was something that my AntiVirus software was disabling, so I opened Norton AntiVirus. Chose Options (located at the top) --> Norton Protection Center --> and then found the option to "Show messages from Windows Security Center". I made sure that box was checked, then I applied all the settings.

I could then go back into the Windows Security Center, through Control Panel, and click the "Change the way Security Center alerts me". I found that indeed both the Firewall and Virus Protection alert options were disabled, so I checked both boxes.

I then re-ran Spybot, and sure enough no more "Windows Security Center.AntiVirusDisableNotify" problems arose.
    that is exactly what I've done as well

Default No McAfee or Norton

I believe that you will find that the first and third items are unchecked. This is the cause of the following Spybot detections:

I checked my security notifications and all 3 were marked.
    I am running Live One Care.
    In the Security Panel it shows firewall disabled on left side
    Has green for Firewall and further info indicates One Care firewall etc.

I backed up system and allowed the 2 items to be repaired.
    On a rescan they were back.

Thank you

well, in my case, Spybot does detect "Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled" registry entry on my XP machines but I set Spybot to "exclude" that kind of detection because I know I set the Security Center service type to Manual instead of having Security Center automatically load at startup.

some for some users who are encountering Spybot detecting some stuff related to Security center, you may want to exclude those detections and Spybot will not report them anymore if you have installed a third party firewall or have set Security Center service type to either Disabled or Manual.
    Last edited by noel-pr7; 2006-10-02 at 19:54.

Well I have read a little bit of this thread, and the reason that I am here is similar, I get the same warning, but I also loose my adminasrator rights along with the controll panel, all I hafta do is run spybot and I regain everything, but the warning still pops up no matter what I do, and yes I did change the settings. It is a virus that spy bot is not able to delet, cause after rebooting it all comes back, or should I say it all goes away, can you folks come up with a solution that works?
    Thanx in advance.
    Rich

I guess I should add,,, the values are changed on 3 regestry keys, that consests of 5 values changed when I run a bot check, then If/when I reboot the values are re-changed to where my controll panel goes away, and I have no admin privelages. (sorry about the spelling)
    Rich

Default Where do you start the security center service

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    Hello,

Since the Detections Update from July 25, 2005, Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4 has been detecting Security Risks (renamed to "Windows Security Center" on July 30) associated with Microsoft Security Center Registry changes. This is neither a false positive nor a bug. It is just an information.
    Spybot-S&D only wants to bring to your attention that "someone" disabled one or more notifications in the Windows Security Center, e.g. the notifications that your virus protection is not active or not up-to-date. If you changed the settings yourself you can safely tell Spybot-S&D to exclude those detections from further scans.
    In order to do so please right-click each in turn, then click "exclude this detection from future scans". That way, should any other part of security center settings change, Spybot-S&D will still detect those.
    The same is true if you have another security solution installed (like McAfee Security Center or Norton Internet Security). These programs do also disable the Windows Security Center in order to take care of things themselves.
    The reason why the changes are flagged by Spybot-S&D is that there are also malware programs that disable the notifications so the user doesn't take note of his security tools not being effective.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot
    Silly question but my security service was stopped by malware. I've now deleted all the malware and this is the only error that pops up and I can't see where to restart the service.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

michaelh613:

Assuming that you are taking about Windows Security Center and the following detection:

Code:
    Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled: Settings (Registry change, nothing done) 
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wscsvc\Start!=W=2
    If you fix the detection with Spybot and restart your system the Windows Security Center should start.

As an alternative:
    • Go to Start > Run > type: services.msc > OK.
    • In the right pane, scroll down until you see Security Center.
    • Right click on Security Center and choose Properties from the context menu.
    • Change the Startup type from disabled to automatic.
    • Click Apply.
    • Under Services Status click on the Start button.
    • Close Services.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.