Thread: Lingering Registry Entries after Spybot Uninstall

Question Lingering Registry Entries after Spybot Uninstall

I have uninstalled Spybot S&D after using it some months ago. A Leftover key named SDHOOKDRIVER at two places in the registry of Windows 7 Pro keeps some Microsoft Updates (in particular KB4038777) from applying. The Windows .msu handler appears to use that "Hook Driver" to try to use a "sneak path" to rely on a "hook", which interferes with the Windows Update. There are a lot of Spybot S&D users, and a lot of reports of this particular Microsoft KB (a security update) from being installable.

Unfortunately, you have provided very tight Security options on the "SDHOOKDRIVER" keys, and I cannot find a way to unlock them for removal without, essentially, unlocking security of several hundred other intervening keys.
    Can you help explore this problem and, perhaps, make sure that all SD registry keys are properly removed when the product is uninstalled, allowing us access to the security features Microsoft is trying to deliver?

--Carol Anne: confused:

Hello.
    It would probably be best to contact Technical Support for help removing the sdhookdriver keys in the registry:
    https://www.safer-networking.org/support/ticket/

Exclamation Fixed, after some effort

I was able to use Tweaking.com's "Technician's Toolbox" (in SYSTEM mode/Permissions) to remove the registry keys.

I still propose that the developers remove ALL registry entries when removing the product, so others don't have to take these extraordinary steps.

--Carol Anne

I'm glad it was fixed.

I still propose that the developers remove ALL registry entries when removing the product, so others don't have to take these extraordinary steps.
    There's a feedback section on the Spybot website, you could tell them that proposal after selecting the 'Suggestions for Improving Spybot' button.
    https://www.safer-networking.org/sup...cket/feedback/