Thread: Spybot keeps reporting HKUS\S-1-5-21-

Thumbs down Spybot keeps reporting HKUS\S-1-5-21-

Following on from this thread: https://forums.spybot.info/showthrea...e-HKU-S-1-5-21

My problem is that every time I run Spybot it gives me results from "MS DirectInput" of "Most recent application" and "Most recent application ID" with a location that starts with HKUS\S-1-5-21 and contains Software\Microsoft\DirectInput\MostRecent\Application\Name (is not) and Software\Microsoft\DirectInput\MostRecent\Application\Id (is not). These are allocated as "Registry Change" and "Tracks". No matter what I do these are always picked up by Spybot, even if I "fix selected problems" then immediately re-run Spybot.

Screenshot:

Spybot Screenshot HKUS.PNG

This isn't picked up by Malwarebytes or other programs as you can see in the above thread.
    My question therefore is, is this actual malware/spying programs that I need to get rid of? Or is this a false alarm since the items seem to be Microsoft. If I should be getting rid of these items, can you please advise how since nothing I do seems to get rid of them.

Thanks in advance - if you require further information please let me know.

Hello.
    No need to worry. The entries related to MS Direct Input are neither a malware/virus, nor is it a false alarm. It is just a usage track. The link below explains what usage tracks are:
    https://www.safer-networking.org/faq/usage-tracks/

Thanks for confirming this; it's a relief off my mind

How does this item get reported by Spybot, wouldn't it happen to everyone who runs Spybot

You're very welcome.
    No, MS Direct Input wouldn't be found in all Spybot scans, but it's probably found in a significant portion of people's scans.

You could turn off scanning for usage tracks if you would like to, until you become more comfortable and familiar with them. If you are a newer Spybot user, things showing up after a scan can be a bit daunting at first, I know. If you would prefer to disable scanning for usage tracks you can rightclick Spybot start center, and select Run As Administrator, then checkmark Advanced User Mode, click Settings, go to the Categories tab, rightclick somewhere in the window and select Spyware scan only.