Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: windows.security.firewallopenports detected

I notice that your original question about what is reason for
    windows.security.firewallopenports being flagged up
    was not answered
    the other windows security message is AntivirusdisableNotify

I have left both of these to re-occur since I to have no idea what they indicate

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

timetc:

It would be better if you posted a log of the actual detections you are getting rather than a general discription. To do that:
    • Run a scan.
    • When the scan completes, right click on the results list, select "Copy results to clipboard".
    • The scan results can then pasted (Ctrl+V) to posts in the forum.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Member rk911 only posted a portion of the detection. From the piece they did post:

Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\GloballyOpenPorts\List\21:TCP
    It appears that the Windows Firewall for the Standard Profile has been configured so that Port 21 is open for any TCP protocol communication. Port 21 using TCP protocol is the default FTP control port and is used for services such as FTP Publishing and as a FTP Application Layer Gateway.

Although the Windows XP firewall is better than having no firewall, it only filters incoming traffic and therefore is not as secure as other firewalls that filter both incoming and outgoing traffic. To weaken it further by having open ports is not a good practice unless there was/is a specific reason for doing so.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this is the other detection that you are getting:

Code:
    Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.AntiVirusDisableNotify: Settings (Registry change, nothing done)
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify!=dword:0
    It indicates that the Windows Security Center alert for Virus Protection has been turned off. If you go into Start > Control Panel > Security Center > Resources (on the left hand side of the window – expand if necessary) > click "Change the way Security Center alerts me". This brings up an "Alert Setting" window.

There are three possible alerts:
    • Firewall
      Alert me if my computer might be at risk because of my firewall settings
    • Automatic Updates
      Alert me if my computer might be at risk because of my Automatic Updates settings
    • Virus Protection
      Alert me if my computer might be at risk because of my virus protection software settings
    I believe that you will find that the Virus Protection alert is unchecked. With that item unchecked Windows Security Center will not notify you if your anti-virus is disabled or the updates are out of date.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.