Thread: Run Immunization at system start?

Default Run Immunization at system start?

My hosts file is locked by the system. Even telling my anti-virus (Zone Alarm) to take a break for 5 minutes doesn't let me edit the hosts file. The only way I can seem to edit it is using a registry entry to copy a new version over the old during the system boot.

I ran the Spybot Immunization and it did all sorts of work on my Firefox, MS Edge, Chrome etc. settings, but the hosts file stayed unchanged/unprotected. Even running Spybot as Administrator did nothing to the hosts file. Is there a way to run the Immunization at system boot so that my host file will get updated? Maybe update a second file, and copy that over the hosts file during boot? Any advise would be appreciated.

Default An additional thought...

If the Immunization function could write the output to another file, like hosts.new then during reboot, rename the original hosts file, rename the new hosts file and viola! A new hosts file that protect the user. Umm, can this be done?

Quote Originally Posted by Nutster View Post
    My hosts file is locked by the system. Even telling my anti-virus (Zone Alarm) to take a break for 5 minutes doesn't let me edit the hosts file. The only way I can seem to edit it is using a registry entry to copy a new version over the old during the system boot.

I ran the Spybot Immunization and it did all sorts of work on my Firefox, MS Edge, Chrome etc. settings, but the hosts file stayed unchanged/unprotected. Even running Spybot as Administrator did nothing to the hosts file. Is there a way to run the Immunization at system boot so that my host file will get updated? Maybe update a second file, and copy that over the hosts file during boot? Any advise would be appreciated.
    Question: When you say you told Zone Alarm to 'take a break', do you mean you used it's "Snooze" feature?

Normally, Immunization does not need to update my hosts file - ie., only occasionally rather then each time - so I manually unlock the hosts file, run Immunization, lock the hosts file. Success.

Zone Alarm has an option where it will protect the hosts file for you. Snoozing Zone Alarm does not 'uncheck' that option. You need to do it manually:
    From the "Antivirus & Firewall" tab, hit 'Settings' on the "Advanced Firewall" row.
    Then hit 'Advanced Settings' from the new display.
    The 'Lock hosts file' radio button is the last one in the "General Settings" group of options. Make sure it is not checked.

Now, your hosts file is not being protected by Zone Alarm, and Immunization can change it.

After running Immunization, be sure to go back and check that option, so Zone Alarm will once again protect your hosts file.

Like I said, this is not an 'every time' activity since my hosts file is only occasionally being updated.

FULL DISCLOSURE:
    I have commented on a thread on this Forum about Immunization not seeming to be receiving updates; Ie., it immunizes my system (including hosts file) but all subsequent runs of the program do nothing (because it says my computer is fully immunized). So, honestly, when Immunization needs to update my hosts file I do the manual 'preparation' given above, but for the last few months that has not been necessary because Immunization has always found my computer up-to-date.

That worked beautifully once I found the firewall configuration page. I think I am using a different version (Free Antivirus+Firewall) that you were using, but it all works. Thank you very much.
    Last edited by Nutster; 2018-03-22 at 19:14. Reason: Better formatting.