Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problems with someone taking various accounts

Security Expert-emeritus Juliet's Avatar

I think you should see a significant improvement now.

I can supply you with a list of free antivirus to consider.

Also, if all seems better we can remove tools and quarantine folders now?

Note: The programs listed below are all free to use or they have some sort of trial. Some of them have a paid version that provides more features, while a lot of other good programs only have a paid version but aren't listed there (such as Kaspersky and ESET Antivirus products).
    Some of these tools work good on different machines, you will have to experiment which runs well on yours.

Anti-Virus

Anti-Malware
    • Malwarebytes - Has both a free and paid version. The Premium version of Malwarebytes also offers Exploit and Ransomware protection, for a complete package of: Malware, Web, Exploit and Ransomware protection
    • HitmanPro 3 - Free 30 day trial
    • Zemana AntiMalware - Free 30 day trial

Firewall
    Starting in Windows Vista, the Windows Firewall greatly improved and will satisfy the needs of most users. If you do not have an Internet Suite Antivirus program (which includes a firewall) and you want to use a 3rd party firewall, you can consider the options below.
    • GlassWire - Has both a free and paid version (with different packages)
    • Windows Firewall Control - Gives you more control over your Windows Firewall
    • TinyWall - Lightweight firewall implementing the Windows Firewall and giving you more control over it

Hardening your web browser means to install extensions that will help it protect itself (and your system on the same occasion) against Exploit Kits, MiTM attacks, etc. but also you at the same time. Here are a few extensions that I recommend you to install.
    • uBlock Origin: Efficient multi-purpose blocker that is lightweight on RAM and CPU usage (Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge, Opera and most Chromium and Firefox-based browsers)
    • HTTPS Everywhere: Extension that converts your HTTP (unencrypted) requests to HTTPS (encrypted) ones (Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Opera)
    • Web of Trust: Website reputation, rating and review extension that will help you quickly identify bad and suspicious sites from good ones (every web browsers)
    • NoScript: NoScript is a script blocker (Java, Flash, JavaScript, etc.) for Mozilla Firefox and Firefox-based browsers (Mozilla Firefox and Firefox-based web browsers)
    • uMatrix: For advanced users, a point and click matrix-like extensions that allow you to control requests done on a webpage (based on source, destination and type) (Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Opera)
    • LastPass: Secure password manager allowing you to create, manage, and use passwords you save in your LastPass account (every web browser)

created by Aura
    Windows Insider MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2017
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

Last night as I was shutting down the computer I got an error message. When I get home will mess with it a bit to make sure not a big deal. Was there anything we did that removed something that could have been used to get my usernames and passwords. Wondering how those accounts were getting stolen. It may have been done outside my computer. Too many pads and user names the same. Thanks for all your help and the information. I will respond tonight after checking computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Coryherb View Post
    Last night as I was shutting down the computer I got an error message. When I get home will mess with it a bit to make sure not a big deal. Was there anything we did that removed something that could have been used to get my usernames and passwords. Wondering how those accounts were getting stolen. It may have been done outside my computer. Too many pads and user names the same. Thanks for all your help and the information. I will respond tonight after checking computer.
    I can look at the error message but, I'm really not very good with those. I might be able to send you to someone who can help. I think it just depends on whats going on.

I went back over the logs to see what had been found and tried to see if they could had been linked to anything used to steal passwords, thats a big I don't know since a couple of the infections can be used as in more then one way. And to add, I thought I was seeing some infections that were kinda older to me.
    And I can be very wrong there, I just think that todays antivirus tools/programs should had picked up on that or at least thrown out some type of warnings.
    Again, thats just my opinion.
    Plus, quite a bit was found related to Yahoo and a short time back it was hacked.
    Dec 14, 2016 - Yahoo Says It Was Hacked, which left many people with problems. Below I've listed items that were found by running malware tools on your computer.

Deleted: C:\SearchProtect
    Deleted: C:\Program Files (x86)\SearchProtect
    Deleted: C:\Users\coryh_000\AppData\Local\YSearchUtil
    Deleted: C:\Program Files (x86)\Yahoo!\yset
    Deleted: C:\ProgramData\Ask
    Deleted: C:\ProgramData\Application Data\Ask
    Deleted: C:\Users\All Users\Ask
    Deleted: C:\Program Files (x86)\Conduit
    Deleted: C:\Users\coryh_000\AppData\LocalLow\Conduit
    Deleted: C:\Users\coryh_000\AppData\Local\SwvUpdater
    PUP.Optional.Somoto
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

It is working well. Was a memory error when i turned it off last night and came up very slow the first time booting up. But when i restarted all was fine again.

It seems more like my information was picked up through something off computer. It is a relief to have my computer cleaned up and have learned a lot these last few days. Not sure how I will use that information going forward yet. lot to digest.

thanks for your help i really appreciate it. I guess from reading other threads we are going to clean out the stuff we did?

I was wondering if there is a good tool for cleaning up old files. I saw a thread on tools that keep your programs updated. I will look into those. But looking for something that will find orphan files that I just don't need that are still hanging around. that type of thing.

Cory

I guess from reading other threads we are going to clean out the stuff we did?
    Yes thats the next step

• Please download DelFix or from Here and save the file to your Desktop.
    • Double-click DelFix.exe to run the programme.
    • Place a checkmark next to the following items:
    • Activate UAC
    • Remove disinfection tools
    • Click the Run button.
    • -- This will remove the specialized tools we used to disinfect your system.
      Any leftover logs, files, folders or tools remaining on your Desktop which were not removed can be deleted manually (right-click the file + delete
      ).

I was wondering if there is a good tool for cleaning up old files. I saw a thread on tools that keep your programs updated. I will look into those. But looking for something that will find orphan files that I just don't need that are still hanging around. that type of thing.
    Outdated programs can be exploited by hackers and malware to infect a system and take it over. This is especially true today with the rise of Exploit Kits (and also 0-days) which is one of the biggest attack vectors to distribute malware. Therefore, you should always keep vulnerable programs like Adobe Flash Player, Adobe Shockwave Player, Java, Silverlight, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, VLC Media Player, etc. updated to their most recent version (even better, you don't have to install them if you don't use them).
    Programs like UCheck, SUMo and Heimdal Free will scan your system for outdated programs, and help you identify them, as well as update them.

Having a decent security setup (which also includes an Anti-Virus) is the most crucial step to protect a system. These programs are a layer of defence that will prevent a system from being infected, or if it somehow ends up infected, help mitigate the infection and remediate it. Ideally, you should have on your system one Antivirus (never more than one installed at the time), one Antimalware (you can install multiple of these, assuming they do not conflict with each other and the other security programs installed), one Firewall and if you wish, one Anti-Exploit and/or Anti-Ransomware (since Ransomware are currently the most dangerous threat around and it can hit anywhere). Here are a few programs worth checking out if you don't have one yet.

Note: The programs listed below are all free to use or they have some sort of trial. Some of them have a paid version that provides more features, while a lot of other good programs only have a paid version but aren't listed there (such as Kaspersky and ESET Antivirus products).

Anti-Virus

Hardening your web browser means to install extensions that will help it protect itself (and your system on the same occasion) against Exploit Kits, MiTM attacks, etc. but also you at the same time. Here are a few extensions that I recommend you to install.
    • uBlock Origin: Efficient multi-purpose blocker that is lightweight on RAM and CPU usage (Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge, Opera and most Chromium and Firefox-based browsers)
    • HTTPS Everywhere: Extension that converts your HTTP (unencrypted) requests to HTTPS (encrypted) ones (Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Opera)
    • Web of Trust: Website reputation, rating and review extension that will help you quickly identify bad and suspicious sites from good ones (every web browsers)
    • NoScript: NoScript is a script blocker (Java, Flash, JavaScript, etc.) for Mozilla Firefox and Firefox-based browsers (Mozilla Firefox and Firefox-based web browsers)
    • uMatrix: For advanced users, a point and click matrix-like extensions that allow you to control requests done on a webpage (based on source, destination and type) (Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Opera)
    • LastPass: Secure password manager allowing you to create, manage, and use passwords you save in your LastPass account (every web browser)

Here are a few guides, tutorials, articles, etc. that you could read in order to learn more about computer protection and security to improve your current computer protection setup but also improve your good web browsing and computer usage practices :

created by Aura

thank you again for the help. finished that up. Looking through the information you gave me to figure out next steps. Can't thank you enough.

We're glad to help

Glad we could help.
    Since this issue appears resolved ... this Topic is closed.