Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spybot "Not Responding" when trying to Fix Selected after a system scan

Default Spybot "Not Responding" when trying to Fix Selected after a system scan

Hi All,
    For several weeks now, Spybot (Free Edition) has been going into "Not Responding" mode when I select "Fix Selected" following a system scan. This is on a 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium system with all latest windows updated applied. I have updated to the latest 2.7 version of Spybot but that hasn't helped. Running the scan as Administrator doesn't help either. Having clicked on "Fix Selected" nothing much happens but clicking anywhere in the Spybot window results in the whole window greying out and the mouse pointer changes to a rotating blue circle. Sometimes it will eventually fix the selected hits after a very long wait (half an hour or more) but most times I have to close the window. Googling the problem throws up lots of hits but nothing recent and no solution to the problem.

Any ideas ?

Hello fatbellybinky,

Sorry to hear of the problem, could you open a support ticket here please.

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Hello fatbellybinky,

Sorry to hear of the problem, could you open a support ticket here please.

Best regards.
    Support ticket raised as requested.

Tried disabling my installed Firewall (Zonealarm) and AV (Avast) but still same problem. However, booting Windows into Safe Mode, Spybot performs as expected and after completing a system scan "fix Selected" works quickly with no long delays. So, the question is why should I have to boot into Safe Mode for it to run properly when it always used to work fine until fairly recently.

Default Same problem, same system Spybot is failing almost every time

I have the same exact problem and the same specs, using Windows 7 and Avast etc. I have seen Spybot work once in while but almost every time I do a scan and then hit fix selected, it spins the blue circle and does nothing. It says in task manager and at the top of the Spybot screen, that Spybot is not responding. I have let it go for an hour and nothing happens. I have to use task manager to stop the program. I also use Malware Bytes and have no problems with it or Avast. I don't recall seeing that his issue was resolved. Please respond! Thanks!

Default No edit available so I'm responding to my own post...

Today when Spybot was not responding after clicking "Fix Selected" I had to use task manager to stop and close it. I ran the scan again and this time there were only 3 items where as before there were many more. I hit "Fix Selected" and it fixed them right away with no "Not Responding" problem. The fact that there were only 3 items tells me that when I clicked fix the last time and it was not responding, that it actually did fix all the items it found but that the interface has a problem not responding to reflect this. So I am assuming the problem is with the interface. But it still needs to be fixed....

Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
    Today when Spybot was not responding after clicking "Fix Selected" I had to use task manager to stop and close it. I ran the scan again and this time there were only 3 items where as before there were many more. I hit "Fix Selected" and it fixed them right away with no "Not Responding" problem. The fact that there were only 3 items tells me that when I clicked fix the last time and it was not responding, that it actually did fix all the items it found but that the interface has a problem not responding to reflect this. So I am assuming the problem is with the interface. But it still needs to be fixed....
    I opened a fault ticket with the developers and tried the various solutions suggested by Team Spybot including disabling any other security programs like Avast and Malwarebytes but that didn't help. I even uninstalled Malwarebytes as it never seemed to find anything. Running the scan after booting Windows into Safe Mode however, worked as expected but I shouldn't have to do that.
    Running normally it usually detects around 20-30 "hits". Clicking "Fix Selected" results in the mouse pointer momentarily changing to the rotating blue circle, then nothing. Clicking a second time anywhere on the screen results in "Not Responding" appearing in the top bar. Click anywhere on the screen again and the whole screen goes pale leaving the mouse pointer as a constant rotating blue circle. It stays like that for 15 minutes (I sat and timed it today) after which it finally says that it has fixed everything and the green ticks appear.

Default I have the same exact issue. I've been using this program with zero issues for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
    Same issue. Bizarre. When it scans and I hit Fix Selected it shows as not responding. Then I have to rescan. There doesn't seem to be a fix yet.

Default Cannot fix selected

Same problem as others have reported, with no fix. Spybot goes into "not responding" mode when I try to fix selected problems. It makes the program useless. Will this ever be fixed?

Default FIX SELECTED freezes program

Quote Originally Posted by mhsgas View Post
    Same problem as others have reported, with no fix. Spybot goes into "not responding" mode when I try to fix selected problems. It makes the program useless. Will this ever be fixed?
    Me, too, When I click on "Fix selected," the program stalls and indicates (not responding). I updated from 2.4 to 2.7. Windows 10 (after a complete uninstall, including the Program Files and Program data subfolders), but the results are the same.