Thread: Spybot can't update due to previous version.

Default Spybot can't update due to previous version.

First the basics. I am running Windows 7 64 bit. I had a previous version of Spybot that i had uninstalled but it did not totally uninstall. I have not been able to install new version because it tells me the uninstall file is missing. I have manually removed all but the dll file in c:/programfiles (x86)/Spybot. I tried to remove this file, but it says it is running in explorer. How can I delete this file so I can reinstall updated version?

I tried removing my own SDECon64.dll in various ways so I could help you, and I wasn't able to do it. Shutting down explorer.exe didn't work, because it closes the Spybot folder(I'm not sure why that happened), I tried safe mode and that didn't work. That l'il .dll is bound and determined it is staying.

Even though you removed almost everything else manually, you could still try downloading the uninstall file and trying another uninstall, that may work. You'll need the unins000.exe file. You may also need to download the .msg file and .dat file if you manually deleted them or they were missing as well. The page includes instructions on the folder to place them:
    https://www.safer-networking.org/sup...ninstall-tool/

I found what may be an easier way so you don't need to download the uninstall files. I can't delete the SDECon64.dll file in the Spybot folder, but I am able to cut and paste it to the Windows Desktop. It still says it's in use by windows explorer, so then I opened task manager, rightclicked and ended Windows Explorer. If you do that, your desktop will disappear, but then I went to file in task manager, Run New Task, I typed in explorer.exe to restart Windows Explorer, and after that I was able to delete SDECon64.dll from the desktop. There are instructions which may be easier to follow for stopping and restarting explorer.exe on this page:
    https://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/rest...ly-in-windows/