View Poll Results: Should we follow ASCs definitions of Spyware/PUPS and add NIS to the detections?

Voters
330. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, detect NIS completely!

222 67.27%
  • Yes, but detect only some harmless files to wake up people.

26 7.88%
  • No, please waste our donations to go through legal channels, instead of using them to fight malware.

8 2.42%
  • None of the above.

74 22.42%

Thread: Either Safer Networking Ltd. or Symantec leaving the Anti Spyware Coalition...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Check this out, if you take the "Is Windows a virus?" argument and replace the word "Windows" with "Nortons", it still fits perfectly.

Is Nortons a virus?

No, Nortons is not a virus. Here's what viruses do:

They replicate quickly - okay, Nortons does that.

Viruses use up valuable system resources, slowing down the system as they do so - okay, Nortons does that.

Viruses will, from time to time, trash your hard disk - okay, Nortons does that too.

Viruses are usually carried, unknown to the user, along with valuable programs and systems. Sigh... Nortons does that, too.

Viruses will occasionally make the user suspect their system is too slow (see 2) and the user will buy new hardware. Yup, that's with Nortons, too.

Until now it seems Nortons is a virus but there are fundamental differences:Viruses are well supported by their authors, are running on most systems, their program code is fast, compact and efficient and they tend to become more sophisticated as they mature.

So Nortons is not a virus.

It's a bug.

[/end funny quote]

I'd say that Nortons deserves to have its arse kicked. They're arrogant enough not to realise that their competitors are, performance-wise, beating them. They'd be scanners such as McAfee and PcCillin (Trend Micro) just to name two, there are more (although McAfee probably has some resource drawbacks as well). Not only that, but they seem to have little respect for the others on their side. Not on. I say either detect them completely or show how weak their virus scanner really is by creating a virus that trashes their servers, hehehe. (that suggestion is a joke, btw. That'd probably be quite unwise on your behalf)

Yes, it's true. I AM using Nortons at the moment. But as soon as I get my arse up and buy a better, more resource efficient scanner, it's going.
    Last edited by Fire_Phoenix; 2006-10-01 at 15:24. Reason: <--- perfectionist. Minor spelling mistakes.