Thread: Spybot was working...now isn't. When I reinstall, executables disappear.

Default Spybot was working...now isn't. When I reinstall, executables disappear.

I've been using Spybot successfully for a long time. Just within the last 2 weeks it stopped showing the Teatimer icon and each time that I install it now the Teatimer and Spybot executables disappear moments after the install is completed. I am baffled. I run XP SP2.
    Anyone seen this before? Thx

That seems a bit suspicious,an antispyware apps .exe files disappearing.You might want to get checked out in Malware Removal.

The steps to follow are here:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288
    (Since SpybotSD.exe is disappearing,you'd have to skip the part about doing a Spybot scan.)

Malware Removal:
    http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22

I am facing exactly the same problem.
    Also exectutable for Norton Antivirus has disappeared

Default Spybot and avast not working anymore. missing executable files...

i had installed and fully updated versions of booth avast antivirus and spybot s&d...a few days ago i noticed things were not going the proper way. the links on my desktop satied, but changed the icons shape(no more executables, they got deleted someway...) and the programs, both of them stopped working.
    i tryed many time to reinstall them, but nothing. the process goes through the installation till 100%, but at the end the exe files of booth programs get deleted. i tryed looking at the installation dir of every program while installing them. the exe file pop up only at the end of the installation process, but only for a fraction of a second, and as they appear they also disappear.
    i tried to log into safe mode to reinstall them as well, but i can not do it. a message on a blue screen pops out telling me that i need to run a chkdsk with special options...but the disk is fine and the pc is running smoothly...
    any idea anyone?

I had the same problem some time ago where S&D and Avast would be killed with files being deleted.

This was due to my system being infected with a rootkit virus. I scanned with a rootkit scanner and removed it, S&D & Avast could then be re-installed. But I decided to change to AVG for anti-virus.

Hope that helps.