View Poll Results: Should we follow ASCs definitions of Spyware/PUPS and add NIS to the detections?

Voters
330. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, detect NIS completely!

222 67.27%
  • Yes, but detect only some harmless files to wake up people.

26 7.88%
  • No, please waste our donations to go through legal channels, instead of using them to fight malware.

8 2.42%
  • None of the above.

74 22.42%
Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Either Safer Networking Ltd. or Symantec leaving the Anti Spyware Coalition...

Personally i make every effort to remove any norton product i can.
    I then replace em with proper AV and spyware removal programs.
    The less people whom are infected with norton the better in my opinion..
    The **only** usefull norton product is ghost, on a boot disk.

Wink

"What goes around, comes around..."

Symantec doesn't believe that, I'm sure. Let -us- not forget that. It's their shame. Really too bad for them.

I hope Peter Norton has taken what they gave him and bought a small island somewhere so he can make all those great Corona commercials - I always imagined it was him on the beach chucking that pager into the surf... ahhhh.

The machine has no brain.
    ......... Use your own.
    Browser check for updates here.
    YOU need to defend against -all- vulnerabilities.
    Hacks only need to find -1- to get in...

Smile Symantec getting too big for its britches

I registered just so I could put my two cents worth in the pot: I hate to admit it, but Symantec is really starting to bother me as an end user.

I saw the warnings about Spybot S&D when I installed Norton Ghost, but I am contrary enough to not let such things prevent me from doing what I want to do.

Don't get me started about how Norton SystemWorks "breaks" everytime I install a new program, forcing me to uninstall and re-install it as a result.

Not to mention the slow, useless first tier support from people on the opposite side of the planet who type English as a Second Language. The 30 minute waits in queue for a chat, followed by 3-5 minute response delays for every question you ask. And the way they pointedly avoid answering direct questions, in favor of "sticking to the script". Each one of them is hosting 5-10 chat sessions at any given time. Who can provide quality support in that sort of environment?

By contrast, I've never HAD any problems with SpyBot, hence never NEEDED any tech support for it. Beat that, Symantec!

SpyBot S&D is a godsend to the PC end user. I've backed up my cheap words of praise with Donation$ because I support innovation wielded on the side of the consumer as opposed to bloated, unresponsive corporate giants telling us that we should only want what they offer.

Shame on Symantec for trying to muscle out a "little guy" offering a world class product with their own shoddy johnny-come-lately imitation.

Default The Symantec Menace

Norton Internet Security detects both Spybot and Microsoft Defender as incompatible products.

The real problem is they are taking away our options. Of all of the anti-virus products I have used, Norton Anti-virus is the one that gets disabled the easiest by viruses.

Can someone help me out im looking for a program i cant remember the name but it runs in the back ground and any time you or any program tries to change your homepage it will pop up and ask you if its ok to change or if you want to stop it. I have been browser hijacked twice in the past and its a pain in the butt to get rid of so i would assume to just prevent it happening again. Thanks for you help.

Default death to Symantec

I would also aggree that Norton is crap. I never liked the fact that you had to keep rebuying the software to continue to get updates, but I thought beyond that it wasn't to bad. untill I got a laptop with norton preinstalled. the laptop was a 1.6ghz, wich ment it had bouth more memory and a faster processor as the tower was only a 1.1ghz, but the dang thing ran way slower then my tower, heack even my 800mhz computer was slightly faster and that's half the processor speed!!
    after a major overhaurl of the system I got it working as it should now. plus norton crashed while dooing it's first time startup thinge then kept trying to restart the program.

I do like Avg a lot as it does do a good job for it's price. I also found Ez Armor is a good program (as long as you don't use their firewall that still has some bugs in it in my option) I got ahold of them as I found the ISP I work for provides that free to all their customers (Road Runner) and what's more it works on my servers where AVG free refused to.

So yes please do include tools to help us purge the world of the Symantec Virus. I also found out that Norton is bundeld with AOL just further proving how low they sank.
    Last edited by kitramos; 2006-10-18 at 15:31.

Default Symantec?...

Hi!
    I prefer AVG FE + Sygate PF (acquired by Symantec... ) + Spybot S&D to any Symantec or Norton or something else. Last ones are not secure like they said, too slow... My suggestion - uninstall any Symantec's product. Instead of them... Look above... But if U don't believe who makes free software - try maybe Kaspersky's or TrendsMicro's or something else solutions but... not Symantec's products.
    Yuri.

Ciao!
    Io preferirei AVG FE + Sygate PF (quest' ultimo purtroppo è stato acquisito dalla Symantec) + Spybot S&D a qualsiasi prodotto dalla Symantec. Symantec's sono troppo insicuri, lentissimi... Mio suggerimento - disinstallare tutto cio' che Symantec. Al posto loro... Guarda sopra... E se qualcuno non si fida dei software gratuiti - allora puo' in alternativa provare soluzioni dalla Kaspersky o TrendMicro o qualcosa altro ma... in ogni caso non dalla Symantec.
    Yuri.

As some of the above did I registered just to respond to this post. I think in this situation turnabout is fair play.

1. Have teatimer detect the installation of ghosts and offer to stop it as an incompatable program(in symantecs own words).
    2. Have spybot detect it as an incompatable program and offer removal of the product(again in symantecs own words).
    3. Detect their hidden directories as possible sources of virus and spyware infection and offer removal.

I doubt symantec will be removed from the group (but you should try just to make the point) but I also don't believe you should leave either. It will look like you are running off to cry in the corner which would not look good. Solution is to be the bigger man always be there to take a stand against them when they pull stuff like this(be a thorn in their side). Understand who they are and what they are and learn from it and move on.

The above steps I mentioned are legitimate warnings and that is the way you should keep it Legitimate we dont want to stoop to their level.

Default Hold on a minute

I'm no big fan of Symantec. Was a contented user around 2001 / 2003, and ditched them in 2004. But, when I was using both their "internet security" and Spybot, Spybot's system startup list descriptions used to list some Symantec programs as malware instead of the genuine thing. (It's been a while, and I don't remember exactly what Spybot said about which program).

I'm sure the computers involved weren't infected and the files Spybot complained about were legit, so I can't blame Symantec for being a bit ticked-off.

Also, after I upgraded to their 2004 version it kept getting corrupted and forcing me to re-install. Changed to another company without ever tracking down what caused it, but I could never get rid of the faint suspicion that maybe my overnite scheduled Spybot scans were nuking something they shouldn't.