View Poll Results: Should we follow ASCs definitions of Spyware/PUPS and add NIS to the detections?

Voters
330. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, detect NIS completely!

222 67.27%
  • Yes, but detect only some harmless files to wake up people.

26 7.88%
  • No, please waste our donations to go through legal channels, instead of using them to fight malware.

8 2.42%
  • None of the above.

74 22.42%
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Either Safer Networking Ltd. or Symantec leaving the Anti Spyware Coalition...

Angry

Norton (Symantec) needs a wake-up call!

They are getting WAY to arrogant for their own good.

Not only do they want people to uninstall Spybot they are also going after Windows Defender (which I could care less about, really.)

I say don't waste the donations on fighting Symantec let Microsoft go after them?

Quote Originally Posted by whatabout View Post
    Also, how about firewalls? What're some good alternatives there?

I use Zonealarm. They even have free version at: http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...=nl&lid=nav_za

Default what's the best option

My 15 - year old son has just bought himself a laptop which had a load of stuff preinstalled (with no disks) including XP and Norton 2006. He was also convinced by PC World that he needed to purchase NIS 2007.

I would also like to point out that he keeps getting ccApp.exe problems when trying to shut down for the night (which seems to take for ever and a day)

On the main PC I run Zone Alarm, AVG and Spybot - I do have Norton Utilities which a friend put on for me when I was having other probs.

Can someone please advise what the best option for my son's laptop is - I have not installed NIS 2007 yet and having read the comments here I'm not sure that I really want to!! If I try to uninstall 2006 and it goes pear-shaped I am going to be in big trouble as we have no disks for XP to reinstall and start again.

I did think about returning NIS 2007 back to shop but my son has taken sellophane wrapper off so they wouldn't accept that and reading some your comments here it doesn't look as though Symantec will accept return either without valid reason.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

BTW I love Spybot - have used this for a long time on my PC, haven't had any problems and it is so easy to use for some of us who don't really have the slightest idea about all this stuff.

Thanks in advance

Was this a new laptop that he bought. If it was, I thought it was illegal to sell a new computer without the program discs to go with it.
    If he's stuck with it as is, try this. I got these instructions from Symantec some time ago and it worked for me. I have since stopped using NIS. This is also good for anti virus 2006 My other machine has System Works 2005 and I have no problem with it.

In order to resolve the issue disable Scan Removable Media and Floppy Disk:

1. Start Noton Internet Security 2007
    2. Click on Noton Internet Security Tab
    3. Select 'Settings tab'
    4. Click on 'Virus and Spyware Protection Options' under 'Additional Options'
    5. Select 'General Settings' under 'Real-Time Protection' in Left pane of the Virus and Spyware Protection Options Window
    6. Uncheck 'Scan Floppy disk in drive A for boot viruses when Shutting down'
    7. Click Ok

Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by cazzyk View Post
    My 15 - year old son has just bought himself a laptop which had a load of stuff preinstalled (with no disks) including XP and Norton 2006. He was also convinced by PC World that he needed to purchase NIS 2007.

I would also like to point out that he keeps getting ccApp.exe problems when trying to shut down for the night (which seems to take for ever and a day)

On the main PC I run Zone Alarm, AVG and Spybot - I do have Norton Utilities which a friend put on for me when I was having other probs.

Can someone please advise what the best option for my son's laptop is - I have not installed NIS 2007 yet and having read the comments here I'm not sure that I really want to!! If I try to uninstall 2006 and it goes pear-shaped I am going to be in big trouble as we have no disks for XP to reinstall and start again.

I did think about returning NIS 2007 back to shop but my son has taken sellophane wrapper off so they wouldn't accept that and reading some your comments here it doesn't look as though Symantec will accept return either without valid reason.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

BTW I love Spybot - have used this for a long time on my PC, haven't had any problems and it is so easy to use for some of us who don't really have the slightest idea about all this stuff.

Thanks in advance
    Hello,

I recently purchased NIS 2007 for a Canadian Retail Store (London Drugs) and was able to return it even though I had broken the seal on the package and on the sleeve. I told the clerk that I would NOT uninstall perfectly good security software to install an unproven product. I also told them that there was NO warning on the packaging that this would be required, if there had been I would NOT have purchased it.

This being said I did go to the Symantec Website first. Used the Contact Us Link and asked for phone support for NIS 2007. Gave the reason as I wanted to return the product. I received a Priority ID # and a toll free number. Phoned, explained situation honestly and was sent an email with instructions on returning the product for a refund check. Being from Canada shipping with tracking is to expensive which is why I went back to the retailer.

I hope this helps?

Thanks both of you (Lynn1102 and Oppressed) - I will give it a try and see what happens. Any suggestions what he should use instead?

As I said I use AVG, ZoneAlarm ans Spybot on the main PC - is this sufficient or should he be using something else as well or instead? He spends most of his time on the internet as well as using it for GCSE coursework (you can see why I don't want to beggar it up!!)

Thanks again

Cool Suggestions

Thanks both of you (Lynn1102 and Oppressed) - I will give it a try and see what happens. Any suggestions what he should use instead?

As I said I use AVG, ZoneAlarm ans Spybot on the main PC - is this sufficient or should he be using something else as well or instead? He spends most of his time on the internet as well as using it for GCSE coursework (you can see why I don't want to beggar it up!!)

Thanks again
    Hi there,

Those three are excellent choices, but you won't quite have all bases covered. I've written a small article on the subject on my blog: http://spywarebob.blogspot.com/2006/...-programs.html

The nature of spyware and adware requires a multi-layered defense to counter it. As a minimum I would suggest adding Lavasoft Ad-Aware and maybe AVG Anti-Spyware Free
    (formerly ewido).

Along with these, make sure the security settings are up to speed in Internet Explorer, or try Firefox or another browser. Finally, the weakest link in any computer security setup is the human operator, so knowledge of safe surfing habits is also strongly advised.

Best,

Rob
    http://spywarebob.blogspot.com

Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Smile

Thanks spywareBob - your advise is much appreciated!

Red face

I have read a lot of the post in these thread and I have also been a Norton/Symantec product user, but I have no longer run nor recomend the use of any Symantec Security Suite or product.
    The last norton I have use was NAV 2000 in which I run with some problems to uninstall it from W98. It left my windows crashed as it didn't remove all the registry application start links.

Then I have use several AV as many people stated here: Kaspersky, Nod32, AVG Free, Avast, etc. From all of them I now use AVG Free on the lower resourses machines like Pentium200 or other old stuff runing W98, and Avast on other pc's that have a little more power; that is only because I like the Avast Interface a little more that AVG and I like the fact that the free version is also available in other lenguages. NOD32 has an exeptional detection module probably not found in any other product, but since it isn't free I cant no longer use it .

As for firewalls I have tryed many of them: Zone Alarm, Outpost , Keiro, Jetico, etc. From all of them I loved Outpost (since it didn't popped out many windows i find it really user friendly) so I recomend it to anyone, I have also like Jetico but it really gets bothering when it ask for the same program even when you added it to the aplication trusted and marked to remember it (has anyone have the same problem?); as for zone alarm free it is good, and it is easy to understand what it is assking so its the one I install when I have to shield computer for another person but I personaly use Outpost as I have more understanding that the avrage computer user has.

Finally to avoid spyware/other sh!t I use spyware search & detroy and I allways recomend it, It s grate to get rid of that scumbag software. But to avoid geting spyware installed on first place I can only recomend you to do not download any untrasted software (crack/warez/unknown p2p apps/etc); I do not accept to install ANY software that includes any type of browser toolbar as they generay are a security risk. I also use Firefox 1.5.0.8+No Script + Fasterfox+ adblock plugins + No cookie config and clean all at close settings.

All my passwords are never writen anyware, and of course never remembered by any program neither firefox nor any other; and that is the key to avoid loosing privacy. Bank info isn't stored in my computer neither, and just in case any sensitive content is Encrypted using TrueCrypt tool
    And finally I use a router, with properly configured firewall as the first incoming line of defence.

When in windows envoriment Security Upgrades are applaid as fast as windows promts me, (that is because I choose what to install and what not to); probably the windows tool to detect legal windows installs could be also consider a form of malware; because its generaly installed without user knowlage and perform info gathering of the Operative System and other information. Despite Being a Legal Windows user I really hates when M$ do things like that without my consent. That was the primary reason I swiched to linux some time ago but I can't get rid of Win due to some specific software I use (ACAD, MultiTrack Sound editing tools, Video Editing Software), I know they all had their linux free competion that does the basic stuff but sometimes basic software isn't enough (QCAD vs ACAD is a good example)

As for the question Itself, I feel real shame of what symantec has done, and I encourage you to detect only some harmless files to wake up people and provide a link to these forum topic, so you let people decide what to do with their computers and sperad the voice.
    But you should allways be very carfull on what you do, couse maybe you could get in a real legal trouble if you do any of the first 2 options so be shure you have some (at least minimal) legal advice to avoid geting a lawsue after you do what you are going to do. (I suspect that if for example you somehow point out that they are doing something that they aren't doing you could get sued for difamation or something like that) I wouldnt be the first time that a big company try to steal another people's good work with a legal movement. And Its very probable that if you do get to that point you may loose just because the donations we send could not keep up with a gigant corporation like symantec.

So that is what I think and I feel about the symantec problem. I am supporting and will continue supporting Spybot as long as I can, and have no doubts I will encourage other people to install Spybot; and if they have to choose betwen Symantec and Spybot I'll let know as many as I can the other alternative software so they can continue using spybot and get rid of NIS software. Sorry about the spelling mistakes (Spanish user here, with rusted english)
    Long Live Freeware,
    Long Live Spybot S&D