View Poll Results: Should we follow ASCs definitions of Spyware/PUPS and add NIS to the detections?

Voters
330. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, detect NIS completely!

222 67.27%
  • Yes, but detect only some harmless files to wake up people.

26 7.88%
  • No, please waste our donations to go through legal channels, instead of using them to fight malware.

8 2.42%
  • None of the above.

74 22.42%
Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Either Safer Networking Ltd. or Symantec leaving the Anti Spyware Coalition...

Here is more on this topic from Symantec's Tech Support this morning:

**Begin quote by Symantec Tech Spt:
    I understand from your message that you wish to know if Spybot-S&D program is compatible with Norton Internet Security 2007 program. The manual claim Sypbot-S&D is *incompatible* however, you have reinstalled the Sypbot-S&D program after installing Norton Internet Security 2007 program.

-Mac-, please be informed that due to error free installation of Norton Internet Security 2007 program it is instructed not have any third party program installed while installing Norton program.The other antivirus program can conflict with installation.However, as you have re-installed Sypbot-S&D along with Norton Internet Security 2007 program and not faced any issue, there is nothing to worry.

I have passed your feedback along to the appropriate group. If you wish to provide additional feedback regarding our products and services, please do so at the following website:

>Web URL:
    http://service1.symantec.com/discuss...vices+feedback

This web site is reviewed on a regular basis by our management and product development staff. It is the best forum to have your feedback heard.

Please note that Symantec strongly recommends that you run only one security product at a time. Having more than one security product active in memory uses additional resources and can result in program conflicts and false virus alerts. Symantec does not support our products running more than one security product at a time.
    Your best defense against computer threats is to keep your definitions up
    to date, and run Auto-Protect. If you choose to install more than one
    security product on your computer, then only one of them should be active
    in memory at a time.

Thank you for your patience and co-operation.
    **End of Quote.

No surprise here, just further info for any commentary.

Regards,
    Mac

---------------------------------------
    Sloboban Milosevic went on trial for allegedly ordering 8,000 executions, as genocide. 'Che' Guevara's executions had already reached 10,000 by the time of his 1964 UN visit, excluding tens of thousands who died while attempting to emigrate. And tee-shirts with Guevara's image sell on the internet as prizeware? What a travesty!!.........Mac

Mac, Sorry for missing some of the points made earlier - I went back and re read some of the posts.
    At this time I don't use NIS - only the antivirus on this machine and Nortons Utilities on the other machine.
    At one time I tried NIS (don't remember if it was 05 or 06) and gave up trying to set it up for my use. I use the Windows firewall and haven't had a virus in years. I've had several attempts, but Nortons stopped them.
    I don't know why, but last time I installed Spybot, it is not trying to run resident, which is one problem I had. Now I can run it whenever I want.
    I need a clean machine because I usually download stuff here, scan them, then send to my business machine. I could download from there, but don't want to chance losing days or weeks of work.
    I agree that Nortons tech support is worthless, maybe even less. Everytime I have contacted them, they always tried to fix something other than my problem. On the phone, if you can understand them, they are very nice and polite, but still can't fix much. Keep smiling - things can only get worse.
    Let us know if you get a response from Norons.

Lynn

Exclamation laughable

Quote Originally Posted by macbd1 View Post
    Here is more on this topic from Symantec's Tech Support this morning:

**Begin quote by Symantec Tech Spt:
    I understand from your message that you wish to know if Spybot-S&D program is compatible with Norton Internet Security 2007 program. The manual claim Sypbot-S&D is *incompatible* however, you have reinstalled the Sypbot-S&D program after installing Norton Internet Security 2007 program.

-Mac-, please be informed that due to error free installation of Norton Internet Security 2007 program it is instructed not have any third party program installed while installing Norton program.The other antivirus program can conflict with installation.However, as you have re-installed Sypbot-S&D along with Norton Internet Security 2007 program and not faced any issue, there is nothing to worry.

I have passed your feedback along to the appropriate group. If you wish to provide additional feedback regarding our products and services, please do so at the following website:

>Web URL:
    http://service1.symantec.com/discuss...vices+feedback

This web site is reviewed on a regular basis by our management and product development staff. It is the best forum to have your feedback heard.

Please note that Symantec strongly recommends that you run only one security product at a time. Having more than one security product active in memory uses additional resources and can result in program conflicts and false virus alerts. Symantec does not support our products running more than one security product at a time.
    Your best defense against computer threats is to keep your definitions up
    to date, and run Auto-Protect. If you choose to install more than one
    security product on your computer, then only one of them should be active
    in memory at a time.

Thank you for your patience and co-operation.
    **End of Quote.

No surprise here, just further info for any commentary.

Regards,
    Mac
    Hey,

lol, Symantec is laughable, they don't even go into further details with that app and problem.
    This is an common answer and not specific!
    They don't answer this issue, they say you should not use an active anti-virus (lol, it's not an anti-virus app..) app at the same time you use an symantec app in background.

Yes right, it's ok, but isn't the case here, Spybot don't conflict with Norton apps and Spybot isn't realtime, only on-demand/passive, if you don't use the TeaTimer, which is optional and not used at default..

best regards,

iNsuRRecTiON

I think the trend for the past few years is canned answers such as this. Open a word processor, copy this sentence, and that paragraph and send it out. Very seldom do they answer your original question. I think the want you to pick up the phone and pay them 30 or 40 dollars to find out they can't answer the same questions.
    For me, any software that has live teck support (whom you can understand) is a winner, even if the program sucks.

Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    I've hated Norton for the last couple of years since they total my computer with NIS 2005. I don't think much to Microsoft either because of all the dogey updates that have caused all kinds of trouble for me over the years. Although I thoughly dislike Norton, Adding ANY NIS products to the definitions list would be corporate suicide since Synmantec would sue you to death and your good name would be dragged through the dirt. I personally belive the best way to go about this unfortunate mess is to just keep delveloping Spybot and getting it as good as you can and eventually people will decide to ditch NIS and its system destroying "Issues" (e.g. wreaking Outlook Express 6 and causing it to crash Windows when you try to shutdown the computer) for the better product that is Spybot.
    This is my first post. (Sorry if my English is not good)
    I fully agree with Terminator. Just keep do the best you can do, that is providing us with a top quality, free and dependable product.

I was surprised to read some posters in this thread recommending Bit Defender. Bit Defender does not allow the use of SpyBot and/or Spyware Blaster along with BD 9.5 and above. They are just as bad as Symantec so why is this thread just about Symantec? I ran BD 9.0 Pro just fine with Spybot and Spyware Blaster. Then BD did a forced upgrade to 9.5 which I didn't want because it had their new spyware detector. After the forced upgrade (which could not be declined), I immediately began getting BSODs on XP Pro on boot caused by BD. BD support informed me (after requesting a Belarc Advisor report) that I could not run Spybot or Spyware Blaster with BD. They said I had to remove both. I replied that Spybot was not using TeaTimer and that I had no problems using BD 9.0 with both of the applications ...that it was only with the forced upgrade to 9.5 which had BD's new spyware detector that I started encountering BSOD's on every boot caused by BD. Support was adamant, I was required to remove both Spybot and Spyware Blaster. I removed BD instead even though I had gotten the Pro version only about six months before...wasted my money. But as I told BD support, there was no way I would remove Spybot and Spyware Blaster and I asked them again if I could simply use BD 9.0 instead of 9.5 and was told no. Isn't that unreal? JavaCool told me he had no idea how Spyware Blaster could conflict with Bit Defebder and I posted here about the conflict and was told ...ho..hum...no big deal. So, I don't understand why the Symantec problem is a BIG deal worth 13 pages of posts but the conflict with Bit Defender is "ho-hum".

At any rate, this is not just a Symantec problem. I went and got KAV 2006 instead and it works great with Spybot and Spyware Blaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Mele20 View Post
    I was surprised to read some posters in this thread recommending Bit Defender. Bit Defender does not allow the use of SpyBot and/or Spyware Blaster along with BD 9.5 and above. They are just as bad as Symantec so why is this thread just about Symantec? I ran BD 9.0 Pro just fine with Spybot and Spyware Blaster. Then BD did a forced upgrade to 9.5 which I didn't want because it had their new spyware detector. After the forced upgrade (which could not be declined), I immediately began getting BSODs on XP Pro on boot caused by BD. BD support informed me (after requesting a Belarc Advisor report) that I could not run Spybot or Spyware Blaster with BD. They said I had to remove both. I replied that Spybot was not using TeaTimer and that I had no problems using BD 9.0 with both of the applications ...that it was only with the forced upgrade to 9.5 which had BD's new spyware detector that I started encountering BSOD's on every boot caused by BD. Support was adamant, I was required to remove both Spybot and Spyware Blaster. I removed BD instead even though I had gotten the Pro version only about six months before...wasted my money. But as I told BD support, there was no way I would remove Spybot and Spyware Blaster and I asked them again if I could simply use BD 9.0 instead of 9.5 and was told no. Isn't that unreal? JavaCool told me he had no idea how Spyware Blaster could conflict with Bit Defebder and I posted here about the conflict and was told ...ho..hum...no big deal. So, I don't understand why the Symantec problem is a BIG deal worth 13 pages of posts but the conflict with Bit Defender is "ho-hum".

At any rate, this is not just a Symantec problem. I went and got KAV 2006 instead and it works great with Spybot and Spyware Blaster.
    I don't use Bit Defender myself, so I didn't know about this problem... but after reading it, I get the impression that all company's are starting to make certaine that you can only use their product... and so have to remove any other good free product... (it has an opposit effect on me though).
    I hate that, don't they see, that it is the user that buy's a computer and it's the user who has to use the software and it's the user who decide what software he/she wants to use on that computer... It is not up to the company to decide what software the user should be able to use once their software is installed, but they don't seem to mind that...
    I have the feeling that almost no-one looks at what the costumers want these days (only the free tools, listen to their costumers, but certainly not the big pay company's they are to buzy with money...)
    Last edited by tashi; 2006-11-29 at 01:36. Reason: Made url visible

Lightbulb Yes

I agree with him Norton is a waist i had it for 7 mouths and i have a computer with 256 ram sis vid card and intel pet 3-1.2 gz's and it took 10 minets to load up. Avast is the best i'v seen yet it's been around for 20 years since 1986 so i would download 30 trial for pro or register for home edition it free but pro had more protection but go for home and i use Spybot S&D and i use AVG Anti spyware get no problem with that program it detects over 530.000 Types of spyware it problley better then Webroot anti spyware

Heres Some Programs That Are Good

1. Trend Micro Anti Virus ##NEW## Just Came Out
    2. AVG Anti Spyware 7.5
    3. AVG Anti Virus 7.5 Free

Yes i would Remove Norton. Any thing that was made bye norton or Part of the Software.
    Last edited by **JameS**; 2006-11-29 at 00:00.

Yeah, I got a 256MB RAM on a computer and norton literally took 5-10 minutes to load up fully. It's just so bloated and highly annoying.

Interesting that the top brands are happy to coincide with ad-aware se (which has a professional version you have to pay for etc), but free products such as spybot, they apparently have conflicting problems.

The funny thing is, the big companies like BD and spymantec probably know what is conflicting, and infact probably intentionally made the programme to conflict with free programmes, just so that people would go for their products because you pay for them, so apparently they are better quality as such.

Symantec can't make an anti-spyware solution. I remember when they did try but it didn't work at all. Perhaps they nare jealous that spybot are able to do it, despite their limited resources, and who know's maybe they wanted to buy spybot, and when the spybot company refused , they got angry.

Red face

I would say none of the above.
    Simply Ignore Norton and his threats and stay out of it.
    If they really make a mess of things then bother them by removing them completely...

A better option also would be to make some kind of script to detect how Norton tells users to remove Spybot S&D and then deny them from doing so :P

Just some thoughts

Gaming4JC