View Poll Results: Should we follow ASCs definitions of Spyware/PUPS and add NIS to the detections?

Voters
330. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, detect NIS completely!

222 67.27%
  • Yes, but detect only some harmless files to wake up people.

26 7.88%
  • No, please waste our donations to go through legal channels, instead of using them to fight malware.

8 2.42%
  • None of the above.

74 22.42%
Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Either Safer Networking Ltd. or Symantec leaving the Anti Spyware Coalition...

Wink Well, pride and bigotry are deadly sins....-!!

For me it is quite obvious what kind of "business" Symantec is into!- I think they try to eliminate and damage SpybotSD because it takes costumers away from them, plain & simple!- AND they do types of marketing stunts and aggressive behavior that are so common for american vendors-; Every year they "update" or issue a new NIS or NAV200x but these new apps are built on the former software architecture but with some small changes to the dialog boxes!
    Customers think they get (like me a couple of times-!) a brand new and greatly improved program, but it's like old wine on new bottles-! AND it's expensive...- If you try to be smart and just keep your app from the former year, you will see that sooner or later the support and update service will be discontinued, so you will be forced to buy a newer one,- shrewed, yes!! Meanwhile most ordinary, trustful PC owners will go on buying the new sec suite they offer, 2005-2006-2007 +...... believing the older app they have are outdated and unsafe. Symantec does NO effort to explain customers that they can keep up safety without buying the new app-! To me that is a kind of theft-!! and very illoyal & dishonest.-
    So, Symantec, shape up or ship out-!! This month I'm NOT going to renew my subscribtion for def updates to NAV2006, - I will uninstall it and find another AV client, possibly a free service, some say they are pretty good...- like a SpybotSD for virus!
    So: Instead of buying expensive, obstructive, annoying, resource draining, overweight/bulky security suites from arrogant or hostile vendors, do this:

Install a good, simple firewall (freeware) AND a good AV serv. from a reasonable author with respect and devotion to customers....-
    AND above all: SpybotSD

Wink reinstall=renew....-

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn1102 View Post
    Frank, go to their web site and opt our of the auto renewal thing. I think you can do it in your profile settings. Hope the renewal starts after the old one expires instead of right away. Don't remember who, but someone just got into lots of trouble for something like that. People renewed the contract and lost the remaining time on their present contract.

Lynn
    I think you can uninstall, clean the system(+registry) for remaining files and settings and then...... just reinstall NAV with the installer program you probably saved from the last install...! Then the update service starts all over again with a new one year service.......-!

HAAahh-!
    Last edited by jensrdk; 2007-01-07 at 05:04. Reason: forgot the HAaahh-!!

Lightbulb config - config - config......

Quote Originally Posted by raiderxl7 View Post
    I have noticed alot of talk about norton adaware mcafee and even pccillen mucking around with spybot and my view is that some of them are just bad configuration or poor management on the users part

norton by many technicians hes been classed as a mediocer product

mcafee Ive heard alot of complaints of its misbehaviour

and adaware Ive read reports of it conflicting with spybot
    but as far as im concerned it all comes down to how you set it up

because of all the increased malware spyware and adware attacks by hackers and non trusted companies anti virus companies have tried to catch up by introducing what you might call silent scanning to detect what they think is malisious software to keep one step ahead some have even introduced regestry control into their products to have better comtrol against hackers

if i get a product like adaware conflicting with my other security programs like spybot search and destroy and teatimer I configure them until I get no more conflicts and when I had norton the program did conflict but was soon rectified by changing settings

I now run bit defender and it cooperates with spybot better than ive seen any product and as a strange coincident I know someone else who runs avg
    pccillen adaware and spybot sandd and not a single trouble
    basicly it all comesdown to this every security program wants complete control to do the job it was designed for but not all parts of the programs work as good as others by putting the one you want on to run the main components first and configuring the other programs around them their should not be a problem in the world even if the program says so because you have to configure them around them and tell the program to ignore or standby sincronise around eachother or just disable theparts that dont work for you
    You have a point there: some sofisticated firewalls keeps track of important runtime files's MD5 sum and other system parameters like start up sections and when antivirus/spyware/adware apps also do that, they get into conflict with each other, freezing up the PC with the CPU running at 100% while the apps fight......- So: people should configure the apps so they do not make the same checks; that in turn requires a little knowledge and people are reluctant to get it, for some reason......-

Thumbs down windows defender a lame duck-!!

Quote Originally Posted by SpySentinel View Post
    I agree with 7cures, I currently have the Norton 360 Beta and Spybot with TeaTimer enabled and have no problems. I justed ignored Norton's warning about Spybot being installed and everything works fine.
    Well, Windows Defender, I think is worthless.PERIOD!!- It rarely detects anything unlike other much better apps will do, so why keep it???

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    From March 2005 to December 2005, Symantec labeled Spybot-S&D as incompatible to Norton Ghost, and endangering backups, with no reason given to us in 19 months now. Since October 2005, Norton Internet Security has told users that Spybot-S&D would be incompatible and they had to remove Spybot-S&D.
    Eleven months later, Symantec has given us just one explanation that was mostly invented and not fitting. Even though Symantec again promised changes, they have now released Norton Internet Security 2007 which again urges the user to uninstall Spybot-S&D.

We would have loved to work with them to remove any incompatibility, but although they were eager to tell their customers about these so-called 'incompatibilities', even threats of legal action could not persuade Symantec to give us any details. Well, actually they promised they would send us details, but those promises haven't been fullfilled for nearly a year. Is Symantecs Quality Assurance department so bad that they can't either find the old reports or re-test?

Both of us are members of the ASC, the Anti Spyware Coalition, a group of anti-spyware companies working together - in theory. The ASC has discussed Best Practices for half a year now. Sadly, this seems to only affect practices against malware creators, while coalition members are allowed to fight each other as much as they want.

If we created spyware instead of anti-spyware, we probably would laugh various body parts at seeing how one anti-spyware application removes the other.

Arbitration by the ASC has only resulted in broken promises by Symantec.

We will therefore bring a motion in front of the ASC to expel Symantec for damaging the ASC through its practices of illegal improper competition and libel, resulting even in malware creators being able to spread their malware better. Should this motion be rejected by a majority of ASC members, we most likely leave this coalition as it would then appear that ASC is favoring libel as a proper way of competition.

If you think that anti-spyware companies should fight spyware creators instead of each other, please send an email to ASC members of your choice, found here, and/or to the ASC itself, at asc@cdt.org.

Following that, thinking on how we could stop Symantec, we have two options: taking expensive legal steps, or behaving the same way as Symantec, accepting the removal of a competitor as a "legit" step.
    Should we add detection for Norton Internet Security 2006 and 2007 as Malware or Possibly UnPopular Software (PUPS)?

* Yes, detect NIS completely!
    * Yes, but detect only some harmless files to wake up people.
    * No, please waste our donations to go through legal channels, instead of using them to fight malware.
    * None of the above.

Please note that under ASCs definition, technology that is implemented in ways that impairs user control over material changes that affecs their system security, in other words software that urges changes that reduce system security like NIS does, falls under the term Spyware (and Other Potentially Unwanted Technologies), so adding NIS to the detection would not be revenge, but a strict following of the ASC definitions of that malware description.

Please feel free to vote in this topic, and/or leave your comments, especially if you vote for option 4 (None of the above).
    I do not think that anybody should be so scared about legal action in this matter: Symantec can use all the money in the world for lawsuits, they will have a bad case in Europe, anyway: not many courts of law like vending bullies and improper business behavior that reeks of monopoly/kartel forming from BIG American companies.- If the definition of spyware matches the behavior of NIS and they do not react or respond to several letters/messages, they are not winning any sympathy this side of the Atlantic ocean, where I suppose the court will be set.....- Show a little courage instead of always running like scared rabbits, there are too many cowards out there these days....-
    Last edited by jensrdk; 2007-01-07 at 06:55. Reason: Better language sel.-

Default Symantacky

No-do not call that suite mal/spy/adware. We all know what it is. Those that don't find out soon enough. Those that don't notice--you'll never reach them.
    Do please explain the truth, even in program, if you detect symantec programs on the system.
    The truth is on your side. Do what you can to get it out. It's a sad fact sometimes it's better to be big and well connected than right.
    Do please offer removal tools.
    I just got a new system with prepackaged software. The first thing I did was remove it, and install AntiVir and Spybot s&d.
    I would appreciate a one button solution to automate it. Perhaps a clean-up feature not specifically targeting them, add a few other pests like AOL and MSN and other pre-package leeches. Explain why, or not.
    When I get rich and famous, I'll send you money and be your spokesman.
    Scott

Default Removing Norton 2006

Hi,
    I had great trepidation because of what I had read about removing Norton.
    I worried for naught.
    I removed Norton IS and installed Grisoft AVG with firewall.
    I followed the recommended steps of Steve Winograd (MVP) here:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...xp=&sloc=en-us

I didn’t need the Norton removal tool.
    I downloaded the new AV and firewall
    I disconnected from the internet
    I used Add Remove Programs in the Control Panel to remove Norton I S
    I only needed to do this once.
    I installed Grisoft AVG and firewall and reconnected to the internet
    The only folders left over were:
    C:\Program Files\Symantec – empty
    and
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared – one folder & one file
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC – two files
    I deleted these.
    The AVG scan took 38 minuets against Norton’s 90 minuets. I think I’ll like it!

Cool NOD 32 - the best AV program

I run a computer repair business, and I when a customer needs a newer PC, I usually buy a dell. I know that my customers could just as easily buy it for themselves, however, when they go to turn it on they will quickly find that it is probably worse than an older 1Ghz machine because of all the junk Dell puts on it.

I know Dell does that in order to sell the PC cheaper, which is fine for me because I take it all off and put my own stuff on it. The first thing to go is Norton and MacAfee. They are total system hogs and slow the computer down substantially-not to mention they make boot up time totally unacceptable. Trend Micro is not so bad, but I still prefer NOD32 over all of them. It is fast to load, quick to detect malware and viruses, and has a very small system print. The entire program is a 10 or 15mb download and the renewal costs less than the initial purchase.

I install spybot on every system I work on, including new computers. It is the best when used in conjunction with a properly configured NOD32 antivirus software. (NOD32 by default turns of malware detection in order to speed up scanning, but you will still be safe from Trojans and viruses.)

Check them out with a free 30 day trial: http://www.eset.com

I have just had to uninstall spybot in order to install NIS2007 am I safe to reinstall my spybot??

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by hurstbeck View Post
    I have just had to uninstall spybot in order to install NIS2007 am I safe to reinstall my spybot??
    I would reccomend not installing NAV at all. Sell it on ebay, install spybot, and then buy and install NOD32. You'll be better off, you'll enjoy your computer expierence much more, and you'll be safer from viruses and malware.

I have a virus in an email that I use to test online scanners. When I try to download it the online scanner (from hotmail or yahoo) should be able to detect it and not allow me to download the file to my computer. Hotmail uses Trend Micro and it caught the virus everytime. Yahoo, however, uses Norton, and for over a year it never caught the virus, and it was a very well known virus. It recognizes it now, but it didn't before. And when I would download it to my PC, NOD32 was all over it like fat on cheese. From that point on I will never recommend Norton again--(it used to be my favorite.)

My advice:
    1-burn Norton
    2-install spybot
    3-buy NOD32 (free 30 day trial)
    4-you won't regret it