View Poll Results: Should we follow ASCs definitions of Spyware/PUPS and add NIS to the detections?

Voters
330. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, detect NIS completely!

222 67.27%
  • Yes, but detect only some harmless files to wake up people.

26 7.88%
  • No, please waste our donations to go through legal channels, instead of using them to fight malware.

8 2.42%
  • None of the above.

74 22.42%
Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Either Safer Networking Ltd. or Symantec leaving the Anti Spyware Coalition...

Default Unfriendly Symantec Software

My first truly disgusting experience with Symantec was after installing Systemworks 2006. The program literally took over every function of the operating system, pop-ups everywhere...this software was worse than a virus attack. I attempted to uninstall. This effort proved impossible and I now find hundreds of references to Symantec scattered throughout my registry.

I have just received (one year later) a notice that my credit card has been billed "automatically" for one more year of service. I did not subscribe to this automatic service. Symantec support web site took over 1/2 hour to negotiate un-subcribe from the "automatic update charges", but nothing mentioned about returning the charges they have just made without my consent.

3 thumbs down for the product, the web site and the customer service.
    We are not amused by Symantec's refusal to co-operate with other members of the ASC. I vote to add a Symantec de-installer and registry cleaner to Spybot and would gladly pay for such a program.

Good Work, SpyBot team!
    -WhiteFox
    Last edited by WhiteFox; 2007-01-28 at 20:02.

Thumbs up for the whole Spybot S&D team!

But, please, do not wear yourself out in an accusations battle against Symantec. Instead continue publicly and officially requesting them explanations/reasons.

Exclamation Don't go into wasteful legal battles...

Spybot is, by its own right, a excellent program, and a lot of people out there know it, and recommend it. Norton Internet Security is a bloated hog, more and more people are realizing it.

Going into legal battle with them will only make lawyers richer. It's better to use that money in useful manners, like supporting the site, or increasing traffic for mirrors.

IMHO, using the same tactics as Symantec uses (detecting NIS as malware) is just as bad as they are, and will tarnish Spybot's track record. Don't act like them.

If you want to get back at them, if Spybot detects NIS installed or being installed on the computer, warn the user of the situation and direct them to this post or a special page talking about this. Let the word out!

And don't leave the coalition, that's what they want!! Hang in there! :

Keep up the fabulous work!

Default Symantec AKA Sickmantec

I joined the forum to post a reply to the Poll

I dont think that it would do Spybot any good to get into a big fight with
    Symantic, The would simply throw Money at the problem until it was gone
    and hurt Safer Networking in the process.

When Peter Norton started out, the products were good and they did their job. However they are no longer efficent or good at what they are supposed to do!

I bought my first computer 15 years ago and started building them for myself (and as time went by for others as well as helping other with their computer problems) about 9 years ago. I stopped using Symantec products when they became so invasive, annoying, & bloated that they caused my systems to crash. I currently use Zone Alarm (free edition), AVG Anti Virus (free), Spybot Search and Destroy (free), Ad-Aware Personal (free), Spyware Blaster (free) and IE Privacy Keeper (free). I have NEVER had any problem that this combination could not handle!

I use the free editions so that I can recomend them to the people that I help with their computers, many of them are on limited budgets, as they are retired or students or just getting started.

I have lost track of the number of machines I have worked on that had problems because of Symantec Products that either slowed the machine to a crawl, crashed it or failed to do the job it was supposed to do.
    Last edited by Suits; 2007-02-05 at 17:48. Reason: Spelling
    Suits

I voted 'None of the above'. I think if Spybot does any kind of marking or removal of Symantec software it will lower itself to the level of the big corporations.

In addition, Symantec is doing a good job of killing itself among the 'educated' user community. Unfortunately, no matter how unfairly, if Symantec products are pre-installed on an 'uneducated' user's machine, having Spybot imply it's bad will only give the impression that Spybot doesn't work.

Therefore I think Spybot should just carry on the good work, act professionally towards Symantec and win by out-performing them.

Default Use the Internet to expose Symantec's bad behavior

I oppose degrading Spybot's software in an attempt to get revenge on Symantec. I oppose spending money on legal action against Symantec since a big company will win due to their greater cash resources.

Symantec SystemWorks also claims a conflict with WinPatrol, but BillP the maker of WinPatrol has assured me that there is no problem. This is now looking like a pattern of sleazy business behavior by Symantec trying to suppress small companies.

I support using the full power of the Internet to publicize Symantec's bad behavior, shame Symantec wherever possible and encourage people to avoid buying Symantec products. I also support development of a Symantec uninstaller/registry cleaner for those who want to clean that bloatware from their computers.

Many of my friends have also had serious problems when downloading Symantec software online, then installing and registering their purchases. This is another sign of a once fine company that is no longer dong a good job, and yet another reason to avoid purchasing Symantec software.
    Last edited by brthomas; 2007-02-08 at 23:13. Reason: added support for development of Symantec uninstaller

When i got my first computer in 2000(a 2000me version) we had nortan anti virus installed. it was useless and on a 30 day trial! i hated it. it was hard to remove. space consumeing and it couldnt detect or remove anything at all.

thats why i voted detect NIS completely, and also becouse it doesnt sound like NIS has changed. I also reckon legal action should be taken. for "Loss of profit" and "Defimation" etc whatever you can do...

Tor
    King of teh World!

Thumbs up NIS is the problem

I want to know when NIS is infecting my PC I've had more users infected using NIS than any other package.

Keep up the good work and don't let them push you out of the ASC. Just start asking Trend, McAfee & CA what if it was their software being maligned.

Aloha
    I've finally fallen off the fence. NIS is definitely Malware of this worst sort, and I suspect them of keylogging, though I admit to being light on proof. I uninstalled NIS 2006 the other day, and voila,,,, My system becomes , well sort of, stable... page file usage dropped almost 60 MB! I'm using Avast now, and am a happy camper NIS gets a vote change from me. ID it as malware. They lucky I don't sue them Go Team Spybot

Default Norton / Symantec

Please add my vote for option #1 .

I have long been at odds with Norton for their practices .

Their NIS products are a prime example of Bloatware and unnecessary overhead . I cannot count the machines that I have removed NIS / Norton Antivirus from . My alternative is to use the built-in Firewall in Windows XP and to advise my customers to download and use AVG Free for Antivirus detection . Their computers run smoother and have far fewer instances of random lockups and slowdowns . I also recommend Spybot Search & Destroy and Adaware SE .

I thought that with the Advent of Windows XP SP2 that Symantec had seen their last days in the market . I don't think a single NAV / NIS installation survived the download and install of SP2 .

I was certain then that Micro$oft had targeted Norton and built-in some code that trashed the Norton installs . I just wish that they had followed through with the Micro$oft Antispyware give-away model and actually provided an Antivirus program as an integral part of VISTA. I guess we can add this to our Christmas Wish List .

Thanks for allowing me to vent .

Ken Tarver
    Last edited by tashi; 2007-02-20 at 03:31. Reason: Removed email address for your protection against spambots. ;)