View Poll Results: Should we follow ASCs definitions of Spyware/PUPS and add NIS to the detections?

Voters
330. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, detect NIS completely!

222 67.27%
  • Yes, but detect only some harmless files to wake up people.

26 7.88%
  • No, please waste our donations to go through legal channels, instead of using them to fight malware.

8 2.42%
  • None of the above.

74 22.42%
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Either Safer Networking Ltd. or Symantec leaving the Anti Spyware Coalition...

Default None of the above...

I wrote an email to the organization itself, in which I strongly suggested that they either come together and satisfy their initial stated goals and objectives, or face being branded as another example of a "United Nations" sort of organization: All bark, and no bite...incapable of getting anything accomplished. In-fighting accomplishes nothing but malice, and is counter productive. For this reason, the "completely detect NIS" option wasn't one that I could consider. And options two and three are as "toothless" as the first.

What needs to happen is an honest meeting of their collective minds, and display the fortitude to follow their stated objectives. If that is deemed not possible, they should disband and reform...this time with the user public clearly in mind to receive the benefit.

Thanks for allowing me to vent.

joey45

Little late on this post, but I vote 1 or 2.

voted 1...

@Spybot-Team:
    Are you going to join "third Public Workshop June 27, 2007, at Harvard University Law School, in Cambridge, Massachusetts"?
    Well, if: Please tell us from the behaviour of the big S !
    thXinadV,nOI

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    ...Please note that under ASCs definition, technology that is implemented in ways that impairs user control over material changes that affecs their system security, in other words software that urges changes that reduce system security like NIS does, falls under the term Spyware (and Other Potentially Unwanted Technologies), so adding NIS to the detection would not be revenge, but a strict following of the ASC definitions of that malware description...
    Okay, for the ASC, quite understood, Symantec - as a ASCmember - is producing SPYWARE... WOW!
    On the Anti-Spyware Coalition Public Workshop, Symantec will moderate a prime-time event: "11:00 am - 12:00 pm Panel: Internationalization of Spyware; Moderator: Vincent Weafer - Symantec (confirmed)" ( http://www.antispywarecoalition.org/...2007Agenda.htm )

... --> That's asking for trouble!

http://www.antispywarecoalition.org/...egister-np.htm

Here is my rant on Symantec....
    First off I'd like to say good luck to anyone who even manages to get that crappy Norton installed. Cause when you try to install Symantec it crashes, then the computer locks up. Now you have a corrupted install if you don't and find out that you hate Norton cause of the 200MBs of memory and 20 processes it uses good luck trying to uninstall that worthless piece of junk. It will try to uninstall and it will corrupt the installer again if you get past that your computer no longer has internet because they shut it down (which is illegal) you have to call in Symantec to get your internet back. and I waited on hold for about an hour litterly before I hung up. On top of all that crap that it gives out it's soo freakin slow and doesn't detect any spyware and it's real-time protection doesn't work. I know that they make viruses too just so they can add them

And then they make false claims about Spybot SD i know that there is nothing wrong with Spybot SD I beta tested their NIS 2007 before it's release and it didn't say anything about Spybot SD they added it in later after the beta. Imagine that, what a bunch of sore losers!!!

Stay away from Symantec they are going down hill till they crash and I hope they do.

For godsakes and by all means put all symantec security softwares in adware list.I defenetly go with option 1.
    Theire softwares(security ones like av,firewall or others) slows the system down.their services created by them wont get deleted after you uninstall the product and their firewall is just a bloat.
    Please and i really mean PLEASE add them in the adware list especialy now that they done something like this to my no.1 anti-trojan/malware software, SpyBot :D

Keep up the good job guys and god bless ya.

"June Public Workshop A Great Success

The Anti-Spyware Coalition's June Public Workshop was an educational and inspirational event for all that attended. Harvard University kindly recorded the entire day, they have put the results up on their website. The audio is available in RealAudio format, in three parts..."

--> lnXrhere: http://www.antispywarecoalition.org/index.htm

Exclamation Alternative way to NIS/Spybot conflict

During 12 years I was pleased with the services provided by Symantec but once they "created" this problem against Spybot, I decided to refuse to have their products in my computer. I strongly suggest everyone not to install NIS 2007. Install Avast! 4.7 from ALWIL Software (free). It works so well as Symantec Norton Internet Security 2007. The best of all, Spybot reveals all problems NIS 2007 is not capable to recognize.

Good bytes to you all.

Default Against Norton

vote 1

I am using Spybot for 3 years now and it has always give me satisfaction (besides the tea timer bug solved with reshacker

I am waiting for 1.5 version

thank you very much to the team. You do great job

bye