View Poll Results: Should we follow ASCs definitions of Spyware/PUPS and add NIS to the detections?

Voters
330. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, detect NIS completely!

222 67.27%
  • Yes, but detect only some harmless files to wake up people.

26 7.88%
  • No, please waste our donations to go through legal channels, instead of using them to fight malware.

8 2.42%
  • None of the above.

74 22.42%
Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Either Safer Networking Ltd. or Symantec leaving the Anti Spyware Coalition...

I'm no big fan of Symantec. Was a contented user around 2001 / 2003, and ditched them in 2004. But, when I was using both their "internet security" and Spybot, Spybot's system startup list descriptions used to list some Symantec programs as malware instead of the genuine thing. (It's been a while, and I don't remember exactly what Spybot said about which program).

I'm sure the computers involved weren't infected and the files Spybot complained about were legit, so I can't blame Symantec for being a bit ticked-off.

Also, after I upgraded to their 2004 version it kept getting corrupted and forcing me to re-install. Changed to another company without ever tracking down what caused it, but I could never get rid of the faint suspicion that maybe my overnite scheduled Spybot scans were nuking something they shouldn't.

I registered just to respond to Lord Cobol. Sir, did it ever occur to you, that Spybot S&D was telling you that something had perhaps infected your Norton's product, and during it's cleaning, yes, it's possible that in order to get rid of the infection, it had to get rid of some infected files in that particular folder. HOWEVER, Spybot S&D DOES NOT delete anything unless YOU THE USER tell it to. It also makes a quarentine of the files and you can..or could have, restored them if needed...

Norton products are so easily targeted by so many viruses and other unwanted and infectious things out on the net, that their products usually don't even detect them and continue to "work" as if nothing is wrong with them. You would do well to just uninstall any Symantec products you have now, then to wait until they become infected and then blame another program when it tries to clean them up...

Now, back to the topic at hand, I say detect any and all Symantec products, and recommend to the user that they should, if they want to keep their computer safe, uninstall the Symantec product(s).
    Last edited by TazMage; 2006-10-20 at 09:23.

Talking Symantec Antics

Been in the IT game since '79 and have used and recommended Norton and then Symantec as it became for many years.

But now it's gone the way of MS and a few others I won't mention.

Suits with the $$$ signs, taking advantage and the mickey while they are at it.

Me, abandon the big corporation attitudes. It's a fast moving game and there are many out there who have heart and spirit before the $$$.

So say bye bye to symantec antics and move on.

The Linux OpenSource community is growing all the time.

Don't take life too seriously, nobody get out of it alive

I too have been working on Computers for a long time... since DOS 3.1. McAfee Antivirus started as a free download very similar to Spybot. (Actually Shareware spread around on BBS Systems.) It provided no protection, only detection and removal. Then it changed hands and fell apart. NAV became the only real choice. But then the same thing happened to Norton, it sold, and fell apart. Only it's demise is more about greed, and shabby code writing only fixed by unnecessary "upgrades." People need to revolt again with their wallets! Another free Antivirus for home use is Avira, at www.free-av.com. And they still support Win98! (NAV doesn't.) Judging from the responses to this thread, there is a broad following. However this being so deep in the thread I doubt it will be seen by many. However, USE YOUR POWER.

Both my and my wifes parents have Investment Stock Portfolios. I am often asked about good/bad tech stock suggestions. About 6 months ago, I insisted they sell all Symantec Stock. Stockholders also have rights. Even if it's part of a Retirement portfolio. Spread the word. Sell Symantec Stock. Tell your 401K or IRA Administrator you do not want any Symantec Stock. If you can't or won't sell, send a shareholder letter to the Symantec board.

Pepi, I hear your fustration. They are not playing fair. But anything retaliatory, and you've stooped to their level.

Security Expert-Emeritus

Default Said goodbye a long time ago

My first Pc came with norton (about 9 years ago).
    Even though it was updated regularly I still got infected. I didn't have any trouble uninstalling it ........ I had to reformat !!!!!!!!!!!!
    So I searched around and found a whole host of freeware that does a great job.
    Like many of your members probably use, I have
    Ad Aware
    Spyblaster
    Spyware Guard
    Easy Cleaner
    SpyWare Doctor (free edition)
    AND of course S&D

I must admit to still using McAfee for anti virus but hey i've had clean Pc's for a long time now so why change a good thing !!!

PS. I am setting up my brother-in-law's Pc next week, I have already put S&D on flash drive to take with me.

Keep up the great work

One more thing.... The Suits at Symantec are not listening to the Support Techs in Pakistan and India who hear our complaints.

Pepi, I want you to know I felt so strongly about this that I registered just to post in this thread.

I wrote an e-mail to the ASC today suggesting they revoke Symantec's membership. Here's the message:

As a former user of Symantec products, I find their actions towards Spybat S & D contemptible. I've read the journal blog posted here by the author:
    http://safer-networking.org/en/news/2006-09-29.html

The corporate suits at Symantec should all be fired and burn in hell for their greed. What good reason do they have to take a dependable member like Spybot and bad mouth it? When I used Norton AV from 1998- 2004, I never once ran into any "compatibility issues" with Spybot S & D.

By claiming Spybot is somehow incompatible with their software, Symantec only adds to the confusion for computer novices. If I had never educated myself about computers, I would be confused and might even be tempted to remove Spybot as Symantec suggests. Is that the kind of members you allow into your coalition? One that spreads myths & lies? One that creates confusion for computer users in order to achieve market share?

I suggest if Symantec wants to fight dirty, think about the image in the mirror and consider the possible outcomes. At the risk of tarnishing their reputation, they need to correct their behavior now. If they had any modicum of professionalism and honesty about this, they would have corrected their error immediately and apologized to Spybot. The fact they've done exactly the opposite is a slap in the face to Spybot and to the ASC community.

I strongly urge you to REVOKE Symantec's membership into your community.

Chewy.
    =======================================

Pepi, keep up the great work you're doing. I have a side business fixing computers and I recommend your software to all of my customers.

Den allgemeinen Feststellungen das NIS den Computer performancetechnisch in die Knie zwingt kann ich micht nur anschliessen.
    Die Bedienung der Norton Security Suite ist grausam unergonomisch.
    Layout und Design der Norton Suite offenbaren Lustlosigkeit am Design.
    (Schlimm ist in der Tat, das man so einige Winkelzüge braucht, um den Mist komplett wieder vom Rechner runter zu bekommen.)

Ich kam eigentlich nur in die Verlegenheit das Norton-Teil mal als Demo zu installieren, weil meine einstmals gekaufte ZA-Firewall nicht mehr ganz auf dem neues Stand war (nicht die Freeware-Version eben) und ich mal über den Tellerrand gucken wollte.
    Grausam enttäuscht wurde ich.
    Wenn ich jetzt noch lese, das Symmantec euer gutes Produkt "abschiessen" will, kommt mir schlicht die Galle hoch.
    Da kann ich doch nur den etwa 1000 Kunden die unsere Firma betreut sagen:
    Trennt euch so rasch wie möglich von dem Norton-Unfug.

Da bleibe ich lieber weiter bei meiner Kombination aus ZoneAlarm und SpyBot.
    Weiter so Leute, lasst euch nicht unterbuttern.

Thumbs up Great product Spybot the best...

i am so happy with the spybot, i really love it, other antivirus didnt detect the spyware that i had, exepct this one, i really want to say thank u to u all
    for this product, and i think symantec should consider working with this products, cause it detects even spyware that norton didnt detect on my computer...............

I've had a problem with the Symantec AntiVirus Corporate that we use at work where AntiSpyware and AntiVirus would detect the same malware and both try to quarantine them (or temporarily lock file access to it) at the same time so neither one could delete the threat. I just can't remember whether that AntiSpyware was Microsoft's Defender or Spybot S&D. But in disgust I uninstalled AntiSpyware and haven't gone back until recently I decided to give Spybot S&D another shot... again until I read this article and realise some things will never change...

Default Tech Support + Spybot

At Alorica(tech support for the horrible Gateway and eMachines computers) we were told to tell people to search google for a spyware removal tool. Well, few people listened. Even I recommended Spybot S&D(that was 2-3 years ago). But still, the techies(my sister and a few others that worked there tell me the details of some stuff) recommend Spybot(and usually are against Norton and recommend AVG/Avast for viruses).

The computer illiterate people that call in and hear the "experts" advising spybot and AVG/avast(free editions of course) tell their friends and family when it works, and the fact that it doesnt cost a thing, and is easy to install(and uninstall) spread the word faster than Norton spreads that it should be uninstalled.