Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: System Restore Disappeared

Security Expert-emeritus Juliet's Avatar

say what?
    Created three restore points
    which directions did you follow that allowed a restore point to be made?

~~

Description: Product: Avast Update Helper <==your machine showed a few errors with this

You may get this if you have Avast Secure Browser installed. Fix is to uninstall ASB for now.
    https://forum.avast.com/index.php?to...606#msg1457606
    Windows Insider MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2017
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

Juliet,

Just after I ran services.msc, (performed your directions there) then checked that Malware Bytes had a log from 3am I could use.

Before I ran the MiniToolBox tool.

What, may I ask, has been the trouble?
    I am uninstalling Avast Secure Browser... I never think to use that anyway.

Jodi

Double click “Volume Shadow Copy Service” and switch to “General” tab.
    Change the “Startup type” to “Automatic” and click “Apply”.
    Click “Start” and click “OK”.
    (VSS) ==> (Volume Shadow Copy Service) my opinion had been disabled through an application on your computer. I can't tell you what but if it was reset that easily, it was an application/program.
    I think in the past some people talk about stopping Microsoft windows updates and this can happen but in a way I guessing at that and could be totally wrong too.

You had adware, low intent malware on your computer so it wasn't adding up to be malicious/virus involved.

Ready to remove tools and quarantine folders?
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

Juliet, well, with all the precautions (I think) I take, it still irks me that there were still some found.
    Are there any of these I can keep to run from time to time?

Also, I don't know if you saw this... I run a program from

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

called, GWX Control Panel. I have had this morbid fear of Win10

I got sick of looking through lists to keep any updates from sneaking on here that include them AND the nagging...

I have not done a windows update in a very VERY long time.

Since we seem to be almost done here, would it be okay if I stuck around until I did them ?
    Any recommendations there?

I so very truly appreciate your help.
    Jodi

Also, I've only installed two or three new programs since this all started, I will go back and see what they were and see what they do, and see if I really need them. It is hard to imagine that any programs I've installed in the last five months could do something like this... at least to me, it's NOT a small thing.

AAAAAAAaaack....just tootling along to stop working, closing programs, checking the last email, browser (firefox) open and I move mouse to close and WHAM a full blue screen that I have 'crashed' and the computer needs to dump?

It didn't go off, it went silently black until I turned it off. Turned it back on and got the "Start Windows Normally?" yes.

Seems okay, but where did that come from? It flashed before me so fast, all I got was problem and needs to dump and it was gone.
    Is that just the system adjusting? LOL or what?

My opinion on GWX Control Panel is that it's probably not needed any more.
    You can leave it on the computer and it wont hurt anything. At the time when all of these updates were being pushed through, I disabled Windows updates through my control panel.

I'm listing a few links to read over that indicate the updates for upgrading older versions of Windows machines to Windows 10 have stopped.
    Please read the entire articles.

can I remove and disable the 'Get Windows 10' notification, Do they still push Windows 10?

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/...h-windows.html
    the free upgrade period for w10 has long passed. You'll probably still get some popups, but shouldn't automatically install w10.
    they no longer push KB3035583

GWX Control Panel and KB 3184143
    https://forums.windowssecrets.com/sh...and-KB-3184143

Remove software related to the Windows 10 free upgrade offer
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-upgrade-offer

Windows 7: no more Windows 10 update? (remove GWX control panel)
    https://www.sevenforums.com/windows-...rol-panel.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I can supply a tool for you to download and use to remove all I had you place on the computer and it removes all files related. It's easier then trying to find all the info by yourself.

• Please download DelFix or from Here and save the file to your Desktop.
    • Double-click DelFix.exe to run the programme.
    • Place a checkmark next to the following items:
    • Activate UAC
    • Remove disinfection tools
    • Click the Run button.
    • -- This will remove the specialized tools we used to disinfect your system.
      Any leftover logs, files, folders or tools remaining on your Desktop which were not removed can be deleted manually (right-click the file + delete
      ).

Now, on the Blue screen
    If it's only once this happened, theres probably not an issue but, if this happens kinda often.....we will need to get this checked out.
    I'll send you over to a tech forum (I'm a member there too) and the tech guys can attempt to check the computer for issues.

~~~~

If you question the antivirus app you have now I can list information on different ones you can read over if you should decide you would like to change.

Anti-Virus, Anti-Malware, Firewall and Anti-Exploit/Ransomware

Having a decent security setup (which also includes an Anti-Virus) is the most crucial step to protect a system. These programs are a layer of defence that will prevent a system from being infected, or if it somehow ends up infected, help mitigate the infection and remediate it. Ideally, you should have on your system one Antivirus (never more than one installed at the time), one Antimalware (you can install multiple of these, assuming they do not conflict with each other and the other security programs installed), one Firewall and if you wish, one Anti-Exploit and/or Anti-Ransomware (since Ransomware are currently the most dangerous threat around and it can hit anywhere). Here are a few programs worth checking out if you don't have one yet.

Note: The programs listed below are all free to use or they have some sort of trial. Some of them have a paid version that provides more features, while a lot of other good programs only have a paid version but aren't listed there (such as Kaspersky and ESET Antivirus products).

Anti-Virus

Anti-Malware
    • Malwarebytes - Has both a free and paid version. The Premium version of Malwarebytes also offers Exploit and Ransomware protection, for a complete package of: Malware, Web, Exploit and Ransomware protection
    • HitmanPro 3 - Free 30 day trial
    • Zemana AntiMalware - Free 30 day trial

created by Aura

Juliet,

Ok, I ead the articles. I wish I had time to go to the classed mentioned in your footer. Wow, to be able to learn this and be able to help other people get patched up would be very cool... keeping that in mind. Do you enjoy it?

I read about the Win10 (telemetry) prevention. I didn't know about Spybot's Anti-Beacon. I am going to download that and hope it doesn't cross paths with MalwareBytes.

I ran the Delfix and it did it's job That's pretty neat.

As for the blue screen, this is the only time in this (now 2 yr old) computer's life that this has ever happened. Something tells me that we just "jerked it around" a little and it had to cleanse itself (may sound hokey, but the only way I know to say it)... not real worried.

I'd certainly go to the tech forum as I'm not completely certain that hardware is up to par.

I've used Avast for years... is this simply a personal preference or is there truly one that stands above the others?

Thanks Juliet, you've been most helpful.
    Jodi

Quote Originally Posted by RastorMosaic View Post
    Juliet,

Ok, I read the articles. I wish I had time to go to the classed mentioned in your footer. Wow, to be able to learn this and be able to help other people get patched up would be very cool... keeping that in mind. Do you enjoy it?

I read about the Win10 (telemetry) prevention. I didn't know about Spybot's Anti-Beacon. I am going to download that and hope it doesn't cross paths with MalwareBytes.

I ran the Delfix and it did it's job That's pretty neat.

As for the blue screen, this is the only time in this (now 2 yr old) computer's life that this has ever happened. Something tells me that we just "jerked it around" a little and it had to cleanse itself (may sound hokey, but the only way I know to say it)... not real worried.

I'd certainly go to the tech forum as I'm not completely certain that hardware is up to par.

I've used Avast for years... is this simply a personal preference or is there truly one that stands above the others?

Thanks Juliet, you've been most helpful.
    Jodi
    Classes to malware removal are rewarding and complicated at the same time. It can be time consuming but on the other hand informative and helpful.

I have very much enjoyed helping people (and there are those who shouldn't own a computer or those who think they know more). To some this is how they reach the outside world, mostly seniors and handicapped, I felt compelled to help and could feel their stress. I wanted them to have everything back to normal as possible.

If you think you should have a hardware check up visit the below site and sign up
    https://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showforum=126

As for Avast over other antivirus.....I can't say. Not trying to avoid the question but, I think personally it matters what you feel works well with your system and gives you good security. One important rule to keep in mind is layered security apps.

If you have not done so already, you may want to read:

Juliet,

Noted. I appreciate you. Thanks
    I agree with your comments, no wonder they call them "personal" computers...
    Peoples computers are very personal to them.

Will read the articles.
    I guess we can call it done.

Sincerely,
    Jodi