Thread: 100% disk usage

Default 100% disk usage

Hi all
    I just signed up for spybot. Our 2 computers have the disk usage at 100% I ran the scan on my computer and maybe did not
    finish the FIX portion. Scan took 8 hours,. is there a way to retrieve the fixes from 1st scan and run them to fix them? Also why is the disk usage
    still at 100% ??
    idwin1952

You could see if the fixes are available in sdcleaner.exe. I'll borrow Niall2's instructions for sdcleaner for convenience. Anything about Zlob.ZipCodec does not pertain to you, but you can follow the instructions to view sdcleaner , and if your fixes are listed there use it to fix them.
    https://forums.spybot.info/showthrea...l=1#post472023

Quote Originally Posted by Niall2
    To display the results without running another system scan, please go to the Spybot program folder:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2

Here, run the file "SDCleaner(.exe)" as an administrator by right-clicking the "SDCleaner(.exe)" file and choosing the option to "run as administrator". This will open the results of your last scan so you do not have to run a scan again to find the same threats.

You can then remove the malware by clicking "fix selected". Sometimes the scanner will say "not responding" at this point for a few minutes but will begin responding again as normal when all the issues are fixed.
    To tell if the proper fixes are listed you should see an .xml file referenced at the bottom of sdcleaner that has the date of your scan at the first of it. For example, if you had done a scan today you should see an .xml file that is listed similar to this: 180616-031040.xml

If all goes well, then you should be able to click the Remove Malware button. However, if that's not available, then you'll need to do another scan with Spybot to get to the fixes portion.

So, to make sure we are on the same page on the disk usage. Did the disk usage go to 100% after installing Spybot? What version of Spybot did you install, free, home, professional, etc.?

Default re 100% disk usage

I installed the Home edition...I think.
    The 100% was gone yesterday....computer running 2-10%....and fast.
    Now this morning I wake up and its 100% again usage. ..no programs started.
    its processing 180614.....the scan from a couple days ago. says not responding...

will get back to you later ...the next scan I will do a system scan....not complete computer that took 8 hours.

Default convo continued ....

It just ran the cleaner and says 12 items could not be cleaned. I unchecked the run cleaner
    at system startup. Should I run a complete scan again for 8 hours ? Disk usage is at 97 %
    ??

Default question

question
    Is there any way to tell from Task Manager what service or process is causing the 100% disk usage?
    I deleted Avira AVG free virus checker and now paid $31 USD for Spybot for 2 computers....and STILL
    have problem with 100% disk usage ?????

It just ran the cleaner and says 12 items could not be cleaned. I unchecked the run cleaner
    at system startup. Should I run a complete scan again for 8 hours ? Disk usage is at 97 %
    Yes, looks like you'll need to run the complete scan again. I was hoping that would work to call up the previous fixes, but I guess it is no dice, unfortunately.

Glad your disc usage went down for a little bit. To clarify, were you using Avira, and then scanning with Spybot to try to fix the issue? Heavy disk usage can be caused by malware, but it can also be caused for other reasons as well. There are some reasons listed in this article:
    https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/4-tips...s-performance/

Default Service Host :Local System is the problem

Well I give up...
    I deleted Spybot.
    How can I get a refund?? it was 31 USD ??
    did nothing...
    I deleted Avira
    I deleted Norton
    cannot find answers on Internet that work
    The Internet provider says its a computer problem.
    Service Host :Local System is the problem ///

I cannot find any reliable way to fix it.
    There is no hope.

Hello idwin1952,

Thank you Zenobia.

I will add my AV question too.

Quote Originally Posted by idwin1952 View Post
    I deleted Spybot.
    I deleted Avira
    I deleted Norton
    Did you have three anti virus programs installed at the same time?

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016