Thread: Does Spybot Home integrate with Windows 10 Defender?

Question Does Spybot Home integrate with Windows 10 Defender?

Hello! I installed Spybot Free today on my new PC build and ran a full scan. Got a few questions. Spybot Free integrates with Windows Defender so the two don’t compete. Is the same true of Spybot Home? Or does Spybot Home want to do it all?

After the scan I saw it reported 41 items but was not able to find more information about what they were. I looked at the files in C:\ProgramData\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs and saved the scan results but I can’t find that report now.

I took a stab at reading the FAQs and other information but was overwhelmed. What’s a good place to start?

Thanks! - Dave

Spybot Home edition and Windows Defender should run well on the same computer, except that Spybot Home edition has a real-time protection component called Live Protection included with it, and Windows Defender also has a real-time protection scanner as well. Since it is generally recommended by most people not to run two real-time protection scanners on your computer to avoid conflicts and using up resources, after you get Spybot Home edition Windows Defender might detect that you have a real-time protection scanner now, and shut itself off. It would be best when/if you get Spybot Home edition if you choose to run either Spybot's Live Protection, or Windows Defender's real-time protection, whichever you would prefer. This page will help with that:
    https://www.safer-networking.org/faq...bot-antivirus/

You can see Spybot's logs by opening Spybot Start Center, clicking Show Details in the bottom right corner, clicking System Scan then over to the left click the "Show previous logs" link.
    Please be aware that Spybot also scans for usage tracks, so those 41 items found after the Spybot scan may not be malware. This is an explanation of usage tracks:
    https://www.safer-networking.org/faq/usage-tracks/

You actually might like to start by watching some of the Spybot instructional videos on Youtube, as they are pretty straightforward, and mostly deal with one topic at a time so it isn't overwhelming:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRP...QflhO6BFyhP-eg

Also, if you have further questions or are not clear on anything, being a new user, don't hesitate to ask me here. I've used Spybot for a lot of years and I'm pretty familiar with the knowledgebase and such, so most likely can help find the answers.

Hello Zenobia. This is great! Thanks so much for all the insight and help. I will study the references and will come back here when I have more questions.

Very gratefully, - Dave

I ran Malwarebytes Free and it came up with 41 items as well. They are PUPs and all appear to be related to the ASK toolbar. I forget which program tried to install ASK toolbar, but I remember being aware of it and I thought I told it NO. So I had Malwarebytes quarantine them. Just thought I'd pass that along. - Dave

You're welcome.

You sound like you know about Pups, but I found Malwarebytes page explaining what Pup detections are, so I thought I'd put up the link just in case you'd like to see it:
    https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1121