Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help - New Spybot install refused to update

Default Help - New Spybot install refused to update

Hi I have just installed spy bot but it refuses to update properly and gives the following results. Can anyone shed any light on this?

[00:00.000] [i] Update started...
    [00:00.005] [+] Updating Service is active.
    [00:00.008] [.] Trying to retrieve update info file from http://updates1.safer-networking.org/spybotsd2.uid...
    [00:00.565] [+] Retrieved update info file.
    [00:01.494] [.] Info file part done.
    [00:01.514] [+] WelcomeLinks.sbs is missing and will be installed (version 20180808).
    [00:01.563] [.] Downloading updates...
    [00:01.567] [+] File "WelcomeLinks.sbs" needs to be downloaded.
    [00:01.931] [+] Downloaded archive "WelcomeLinks.sbs-20180808.cab" from http://updates3.safer-networking.org/spybot2/.
    [00:01.939] [-] Hash d788a31d9b95135823534c49aeac1292 for archive "WelcomeLinks.sbs-20180808.cab" does not match expected hash FCB18B44861468178D8BA8905E8E8863!
    [00:01.946] [+] All files have been processed.
    [00:01.963] [+] Installed 1 updates.
    [00:01.984]

Hello.
    Your logfile shows that the hash for WelcomeLinks.sbs-20180808.cab doesn't match the expected hash. Also, since this is a new install, if that is your complete update logfile, there are ordinarily many more updates than that, usually.

It might just be a bit of a glitch. There are manual updates for antispyware updates available. Perhaps you'd like to install the manual updates to get you up and running so you can do a system scan. This page shows the manual update link, plus has instructions for installing them:
    https://www.safer-networking.org/faq...s-in-spybot-2/

If you have any trouble installing the manual updates if you decide to install them, please let me know.

Also, updates are usually released every Wednesday. Hopefully, the update problems are just a one time thing, so maybe next Wednesday you could try updating through the Spybot program once again to check, and if there are still problems updating please post back.

Default Similar, but completely different...

After new install of 2.4.40.0 on Win XP (just back online after a few years), all works great except Update hangs. Hit Update, get a little quick action on the activity bar, then nothing...just sits. Network monitor shows nothing moving. Update log shows numerous "so-and-so missing and will be installed on next update messages." Start Center shows "No update attempt registered."

I was able to do the manual update as described above last Tuesday I think, and waited until today to try the std method again, but no joy.

Not a big deal, since I can update each week manually. Plus, old software. Still, if anyone's interested...

All The Best, P.

When you look in your Updates.log file, is your Update info file being downloaded? It should look something like this in your logfile:
    SDUpdate.exe [2018-08-11 06:28:34] [+] Retrieved update info file.
    SDUpdate.exe [2018-08-11 06:28:35] [.] Info file part done.
    SDUpdate.exe [2018-08-11 06:28:35] [.] Testing which updates apply to this version...

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    When you look in your Updates.log file, is your Update info file being downloaded? It should look something like this in your logfile:
    To recap, the update pane opens when I select Update from the Start Center, and as I say I get immediate and brief blue bar action down at the lower right. When that's done the info bug at the bottom left says Updates available!, so I hit the update bar in the right pane (or Update action in the left pane, same same). The lower right pane then says "Checking for Antispyware updates..." and there she'll sit until I close it up. Upper right pane still says "Your computer has no signatures installed yet!"

The log file says info file does get downloaded.

SDUpdate.exe [2018-08-13 19:13:03] [+] Retrieved update info file.
    SDUpdate.exe [2018-08-13 19:13:04] [.] Info file part done.

I suppose that's the original action I'm seeing. Pretty much everything else in the log file says "so-and-so is missing and will be installed on next update." Examples:

SDUpdate.exe [2018-08-13 19:13:04] Includes\AdvWhite.sbs is missing and will be installed on next update.
    SDUpdate.exe [2018-08-13 19:13:04] Includes\Adware.sbi is missing and will be installed on next update.
    SDUpdate.exe [2018-08-18 09:57:36] Includes\TrojansC-01.sbi is missing and will be installed on next update.
    SDUpdate.exe [2018-08-18 09:57:36] Includes\TrojansC-02.sbi (version 20140109) needs to be updated.

Thanks!

Okay, thanks.
    The lower right pane then says "Checking for Antispyware updates..." and there she'll sit until I close it up.
    I was able to get Spybot to behave similar to what you described when I clicked on Update and I didn't let the background Update Service start when prompted, then attempted an update. I'm on Windows 10, and get an administrator prompt. So perhaps your update service is not starting. However, if so I wonder why you wouldn't be prompted so I'm not sure on that, but perhaps you would not get that prompt from Spybot on XP as you wouldn't be elevating.

The Windows XP account you're updating Spybot from, is it an administrator account? Also, could you please open Start Center, checkmark Advanced User mode, click Settings, then click the System Services tab. What do you see beside Update Service?

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    Okay, thanks.

I was able to get Spybot to behave similar to what you described when I clicked on Update and I didn't let the background Update Service start when prompted, then attempted an update.
    Hi, Z. Thanks for your replies.

Spybot is running with admin privileges. System services listed Update running, active at reboot. It also said the Scanner service, also active at reboot, was not running, so I started it. Still sitting at the "Checking for Antispyware updates..." hang point as I type this.

I have to run out for a few hours, so I'll leave it sitting there until I return. I'll post then to let you know if anything has happened. Doesn't seem to be any computer activity, however, and the update log shows the same sort of stuff as before.

Last update log entry:
    SDUpdate.exe [2018-08-20 08:49:43] spybotsd2-windows-upgrade-installer.exe is missing and will be installed on next update.

Best, P.

Default Update to previous post

Just returned from errands and checked status of currently "running" Update. No change, last line of update log still the same. I've shut it on down.

Best, P.

You're welcome.
    System services listed Update running, active at reboot.
    Okay, that should be working okay, so that likely isn't the problem.

Since your Update.info file is being downloaded, then the updating problem shouldn't be caused by the proxy or firewall. However, it does seem odd that there seems to be no activity after clicking update, so it wouldn't hurt to doublecheck that. Could you follow the instructions on this page, please?
    https://www.safer-networking.org/faq...e-info-file-2/
    Please let me know how it goes. (excluding the manual updates, if you already manually updated past last Wednesday.)

Hi, Zenobia.

Didn't go very far, I'm afraid...link takes me to page not found.

Searched on a phrase in the link url and found the SD2 RC3 thread, where a number of people were having what looked like the identical problem. Didn't find what looked like a specific solution, though. Folks were running different levels of Windows, etc., and their problem seemed to be fixed by a later version of SD2. Some stuff in there about update working for pretty much everybody when started from 127.0.0.1 using the port number.

Over my head. Never have known nuffin bout no ports. (Except that Avast! tells me I have exposed open ports...I take it on faith because I don't want to mess with it that these are used by my ISP.)

Best, P.