Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help - New Spybot install refused to update

My apologies, looks like the Spybot website was upgraded a bit, and the link I posted is no longer there, lol.
    It's very different than before, but I think I like it. Anyways, that's neither here nor there.

Here is part of what was posted at the link I posted originally:
    Why do I receive “Error retrieving update info file“?
    November 9th, 2012

1. The error message “Error retrieving update info file” usually appears when Spybot – Search & Destroy has accidently imported bad Internet Explorer proxy settings. In this case, it helps just to disable the proxy option in Spybot 2. You can access this setting by choosing “Configure Proxy“ in the Updater menu on the left. Or you open the Spybot 2 “Start Center“ and click on “Settings“. Choose the tab “Internet Protection“. Here you can deselect “Use Spybot Proxy“. Now click “Apply“ and “OK“.

2. Please check your firewall.
    Most people who do not have problem #1 do have Spybot 2 accidentally blocked in their firewall.
    Number 3 was just a link to the manual downloads, which you already know about.

Thanks, Zenobia.

Spybot proxy was turned off so I turned it on, but no change. I seem to have all the Spybot entities listed in my Windows Firewall exceptions file. That leaves the router firewall, courtesy of my ISP, but honestly I'm tired of messing with it. As I say, old software, problems to be expected, plus comm problems leave me cold to begin with.

I'll just go with the weekly manual update. Easy peasy.

I appreciate your looking into this for me. Ciao!

You're welcome. Wish I could have found a solution for you.