Thread: Program says that spybot is in system, but all traces I can find are removed

Default Program says that spybot is in system, but all traces I can find are removed

Hi, I recently purchased bitdefender and attempted to install it, but spybot was incompatible with it. So, I went to uninstall spybot, which I did not even know I had. Only problem was, all traces of from my computer were gone. I then tried to install a newer version of spybot and uninstall that. This also did not work since it says it is still there, yet there is no program file, or anything within search results. Can someone please assist me with this problem?

Maybe it is a remnant left over if you had Spybot installed in the past, perhaps even a hidden file or folder. Do you recall having Spybot installed before?
    Also, to make things easier, what operating system are you using, Windows 10?

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    Maybe it is a remnant left over if you had Spybot installed in the past, perhaps even a hidden file or folder. Do you recall having Spybot installed before?
    Also, to make things easier, what operating system are you using, Windows 10?
    I'm really sorry for having such a late reply. Admittedly, I am doing this for my grandfather, and he did have spybot on his desktop previously. I went through and deleted all the files I could see, but was unsure how to go about revealing hidden files. The operating system is Windows 10. Any help you, or anyone else would be willing to give would be appreciated, since I am unable to install it and currently there is no anti-virus software on his computer. (his previous antivirus was panda and was outdated by 3 years.)

Ok, so I just checked if there were any hidden files in the program 86 which I could not see. Turns out I already had the view hidden files thing clicked on. There is no spybot there at all there. Hope that helps.

No problem re: the late reply.

Spybot sometimes leaves a folder behind at C:\ProgramData\Spybot – Search & Destroy. The reason for that is because that is where Spybot stores the backups it makes after a threat is removed after a System Scan. But, if it's been a while since your grandfather has had Spybot and all is running well with the computer, you might want to remove that folder, at your and your grandfather's discretion. Perhaps that is what bit defender is detecting.

I'm not sure how Bit Defender detects Spybot. I know Windows Defender disables itself when Spybot's Security Center Service is running. The service should have been removed when uninstalling Spybot, but you might want to check that. To check, type Services in the Cortana search bar, then rightclick Services, select Run As Administrator then scroll through Services to make sure you don't see Spybot S&D 2 Security Center service in there. If you do see it, please let me know.

I hope that helps. If Bit Defender still detects Spybot, and still will not turn on, and it looks like it might take a few days or so to figure this out, you might want to check to be sure no older antiviruses are still installed on the computer, and then enable Windows Defender just for the time being, until Bit Defender can be installed:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/unabl...ndows-defender