Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Laptop at times almost frozen

Security Expert-emeritus Juliet's Avatar

phew!

Let's dont poke the bear.

Give it a day or two and let me know if things have returned back to normal.
    Windows Insider MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2017
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

Laptop is operating near normally, running all apps, etc. but from time to time it seems to pause and take a while before it resumes. Each time I think "here we go again," but suddenly the screen shows what I was expecting. No error messages have displayed. Although I have no way to prove it, I suspect there is some background activity. I've looked at Task Manager, but I don't know how to spot activity related to scripts, etc. Attached is a screenshot of typical Task Manager status.

At that point, I left my browser running and minimized it. I opened Photoshop and cropped the Task Manager image.

When I attempted to return to browser and this Forum, laptop did a restart on its own. However it didn't restart in the usual way, rather it stopped on a screen that said Start Normally (I think). I pressed Enter and Windows appeared to restart. Soon after I entered my logon code, the screen went black and everything appeared to stop. I let the laptop run untouched for a while.

Eventually, I typed Ctrl-Alt-Del to start Task Manager. I selected "Log off" and when I saw the Start button and the Task Bar appear, I moved the cursor to Start and clicked it. I wound up with screen displaying another instance of the Task Manager on a black screen. I made a second screenshot.

Then, I restarted laptop. It opened with this Forum, me already logged on, and the beginning of this message displayed (I never saw THAT before).

Before I log out, I am going to attempt to submit this reply attaching both screenshots, which are very similar except the Memory Usage History on Task Manager 2 is considerably lower. I did not crop the Task Manager 2 image so you could see the black screen.

Needless to say, I think my laptop is operating strangely.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm not so good nor trained on the tech end of a computer system but, what you described kinda sounds like something updated?
    Firefox, Google Chrome, Windows, Antivirus?

Screen shots show very low CPU usage, when you see or notice such a slow down again, with task manager open, click on the
    Applications or processes tab and monitor from there exe = cpu
    from that I hope to see what is pulling and slowing the computer down.
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

The image attached is to ask: is this the Task Manager info you want to see in the case of another slowdown?

I opened Task Manager, clicked on Processes tab, then clicked on CPU. "CPU" was replaced by a "down arrow"

I don't understand: "...and monitor from there exe = cpu" Please explain...
    Attached Images Attached Images

with the window you had open click on 'show proccesses from all users'

No need to click on a CPU button I don't think any of the information I was looking for would be there.

~~~
    Last edited by Juliet; 2018-11-19 at 21:27. Reason: typo

Understood.

I'll be traveling from now until early next week and will have laptop with me, so I'll be looking for it to act up and will report what I see.

Hope you have a nice Thanksgiving!

Thank you, for you too.

Laptop performed well. No problem caused by using another WIFI.

I am back at home and still seeing some occasional sluggish response. Often after I log off from Facebook I notice the laptop is very slow to respond. Not always but sometimes it displays a banner at the top of the screen saying there is a script running that I'm not quick enough to stop before the STOP button disappears from the screen. Even when I am able to click on the STOP SCRIPT button, the slowness doesn't disappear immediately. And then, for no apparent reason, the laptop will run great for a few days...

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...rtain-websites

scroll down and click on Error happens when accessing certain websites
    try what they suggest and see if that helps.

I typed in: "htpps://www.facebook.com" and immediately wondered...do I need to include the "/shopify..." business, too? How much of what shows up when Facebook is opened counts as its URL?