Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Laptop at times almost frozen

Security Expert-emeritus Juliet's Avatar

Is it just my imagination, or is this laptop suddenly running faster? Still not sure.
    Ain't that what we were working for?....lol

OK, what issues are remaining?
    Windows Insider MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2017
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

This laptop does now seem much, much better. Thanks!!!

Back up the line, you asked: "Do you use AVG Secure VPN for your work? Do you need this application?"
    I looked and found it's been installed since February, but I don't recall installing it and don't even know what it is. May/should I just uninstall it?

Along the same line, I'd like to ask you about AVG. The first time I ever heard of AVG was at the conclusion of my first troubleshooting session with a helper on this forum. The helper (don't remember who it was) noted an antivirus software I was then using (I think it was Norton) and said that most of the times when a computer showed the problems we had just cleaned up, it had been due to that particular antivirus package. The helper said there was free stuff available that was more effective and suggested AVG Free, which I switched to immediately, and which I've been running ever since. Only lately have I started seeing what I will call "sales pitches" from AVG. Are these legitimate? Are they offering stuff that's really necessary? Did the "sales pitches" start showing up because of an AVG update, or is something else pretending to be AVG?

Quote Originally Posted by gin_jammer View Post
    This laptop does now seem much, much better. Thanks!!!

Back up the line, you asked: "Do you use AVG Secure VPN for your work? Do you need this application?"
    I looked and found it's been installed since February, but I don't recall installing it and don't even know what it is. May/should I just uninstall it?

Along the same line, I'd like to ask you about AVG. The first time I ever heard of AVG was at the conclusion of my first troubleshooting session with a helper on this forum. The helper (don't remember who it was) noted an antivirus software I was then using (I think it was Norton) and said that most of the times when a computer showed the problems we had just cleaned up, it had been due to that particular antivirus package. The helper said there was free stuff available that was more effective and suggested AVG Free, which I switched to immediately, and which I've been running ever since. Only lately have I started seeing what I will call "sales pitches" from AVG. Are these legitimate? Are they offering stuff that's really necessary? Did the "sales pitches" start showing up because of an AVG update, or is something else pretending to be AVG?
    Glad to hear the laptop is better.

=>VPN<=
    If you didn't install it or use it for 'work from home', I would uninstall it. It can be used as an avenue to interact with your computer.

AVG free antivirus is used by many, It's not unusual for them to ask you to upgrade to the paid for security suite. Some people do, as many don't.
    Without seeing the pop up for AVG, I'm going to say it's probably legit. Just X out the little window and continue on with whatever your doing.

Note: The programs listed below are all free to use or they have some sort of trial. Some of them have a paid version that provides more features, while a lot of other good programs only have a paid version but aren't listed there (such as Kaspersky and ESET Antivirus products).

Anti-Virus

~~~~

Let's remove tools and quarantine folders.

DelFix

• Please download DelFix or from Here and save the file to your Desktop.
    • Double-click DelFix.exe to run the programme.
    • Place a checkmark next to the following items:
    • Activate UAC
    • Remove disinfection tools
    • Click the Run button.
    • -- This will remove the specialized tools we used to disinfect your system.
      Any leftover logs, files, folders or tools remaining on your Desktop which were not removed can be deleted manually (right-click the file + delete
      ).

Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

Downloaded and ran DelFix. Afterward, I was unable to remove all of the Desktop leftovers, few of them won't delete.

Here's what DelFix reported:

# DelFix v1.010 - Logfile created 14/11/2018 at 08:11:53
    # Updated 26/04/2015 by Xplode
    # Username : Ed - ED-PC
    # Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 (32 bits)

~ Activating UAC ... OK

~ Removing disinfection tools ...

Deleted : C:\FRST
    Deleted : C:\AdwCleaner
    Deleted : C:\RegBackup
    Deleted : C:\Users\Ed\Desktop\FRST-OlderVersion
    Deleted : C:\Users\Ed\Desktop\Addition.txt
    Deleted : C:\Users\Ed\Desktop\AdwCleaner.exe
    Deleted : C:\Users\Ed\Desktop\aswMBR.exe
    Deleted : C:\Users\Ed\Desktop\Fixlog.txt
    Deleted : C:\Users\Ed\Desktop\FRST.exe
    Deleted : C:\Users\Ed\Desktop\FRST.txt
    Deleted : C:\Users\Ed\Desktop\HijackThis.exe
    Deleted : C:\Users\Ed\Desktop\hijackthis.log
    Deleted : C:\Users\Ed\Desktop\RogueKiller_portable32.exe
    Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\TrendMicro\Hijackthis
    Deleted : HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_ASWMBR

########## - EOF - ##########

I was unable to remove all of the Desktop leftovers, few of them won't delete
    Can you tell me the names of the tools that wont delete?

I did a restart after which those tools no longer show on Desktop.

After I uninstalled AVG Secure VPN, I got a popup saying (more or less): "Couldn't remove all elements. These can be removed manually." Can you tell me how to find those "elements," and whether they need to be removed?

After I uninstalled AVG Secure VPN, I got a popup saying (more or less): "Couldn't remove all elements. These can be removed manually." Can you tell me how to find those "elements," and whether they need to be removed?
    When you downloaded AVG this package was in the bundle.
    If you uninstalled AVG VPN, thats probably all you have to do cause it wont work without the whole deal.

All I can find is associated files/folders.

C:\Program Files\AVG\Secure VPN\Vpn.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\Secure VPN\VpnSvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\Secure VPN\VpnUpdate.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\Secure VPN\libcef.dll
    C:\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\avgTap.sys

Those would be the files to look for and delete because I have no way of knowing what is left.

Uh oh! Maybe I screwed the pooch...removed everything in Secure VPN folder and afterward my browser (Firefox) was slower (MUCH slower) than Christmas to launch. I restored the Secure VPN stuff, one item at a time, but now Firefox won't launch at all. Task Monitor says it's running, but it is NOT.

I was able to launch MSN, which I don't ever use, and used it to search for this forum to post this message.

Unsure how you can communicate with me unless I can get back to this Forum again. While I wait, I'll try to get Firefox working. Would you recommend System Restore?

Okay, Firefox launched. It struggled and was minimized once it opened, but it did launch. Once open, operation seemed almost normal.

Maybe I just irritated Firefox removing the Secure VPN stuff (none of which, by the way, was the stuff you named), and then it got over it. It's now opening, running, and closing normally.