Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is live protection really on?

Default Is live protection really on?

Hello everyone!
    I notice a message in my windows action center that says spybot is not on. I clicked it to start it and it attempts to but never come on. I checked with the spybot start center and it says live protection is on and enabled. However, every time i open something, i used to get a spybot scan bar in the bottom right, now i do not. Sometimes, before this problem started, i had to start live protection and a dialog box would come up and it would start. I dont know why it would just stop working.

Anyone have this problem or any suggestions?
    Thanks

Hello.
    Try rightclicking the Spybot Start Center and selecting Run as Administrator. Click the live protection status in the start center to open Live Protection settings. Is there a checkmark beside Scan all programs before they start?

Default same issue

I have this same issue. I get this every time I startup the tablet. (SurfacePro Win10)
    I've check the status as suggested above and, yes, the checkbox is ticked.
    Does this mean I should ignore the pop-up and the defender security box that says that SpyBot protection is off?
    (As above, if you try to switch SpyBotS&D on is does nothing.)

No, don't ignore the defender security box or the popup.
    Please reopen Live Protection. Does it say anything above the Scan all programs before they start checkbox? Does it say "Live Protection is installed, running, but not active!"?

it says its active.
    since I posted this the pop-up only appears occasionally. its very glitchy and seems like defender is a bit confused.
    next time it happens I'll check the live status before doing anything else to see what it says.
    (btw, I've never seen a scan bar that was mentioned mentioned in the original post!)

I believe it's a bit unusual for you not to have seen the Spybot scan bar associated with Live Protection at the bottom right of your screen. Usually if a process starts, etc. you'd probably see that scan bar, and as far as I am aware that is still part of Spybot's Live Protection. Therefore, you might like to contact Spybot support. There is a contact form here.
    https://www.safer-networking.org/support/#contactform

had the warning popup again, checked the live protection status and it showed active and scan programs as they start. I presume this means that its working? don't understand why the warning appears.
    to confirm, re task bar, have attached pics of task bar. SpyBoy icon appears if you tap the up-arrow. but there is no activity bar there. does this look right?

taskbar1.PNG

taskbar2.PNG

Yes, that does look right. That is the Spybot tray icon, from which you can get Spybot to perform various functions. However, it is not actually Live Protection.
    Live Protection does not actually have an icon down by the clock, like teatimer did.
    The "spybot scan bar in the bottom right" mentioned in the first post by BigBear is a tiny little scan icon like thing that appears, for instance when Live Protection is scanning a process that opens, etc. I don't currently have Live protection, but I believe it is still normal for that little scan thing to appear when Live Protection is scanning something, for instance if you open a program, etc. ,and it hasn't been changed. If Live Protection is showing as active and the 'scan programs before they start is checkmarked, it would seem it is active. However, where you are getting the defender popup and there is no scan bar in the bottom right appearing intermittently, I am a bit worried. Therefore, I would prefer if you contacted Spybot support to ask them about it and be sure, I would not want you to be going about without some sort of real-time or live protection on your computer. It doesn't mean it isn't working, but I'd like it if you would double check with them. So, if you could please contact them with the contact form, I'd appreciate it. Thank you.
    https://www.safer-networking.org/support/#contactform

ok, thanks I'll get in touch with support.
    I'm still trying to see if there's some specific thing I'm doing/is happening when the defender pop-up arrives or whether its totally random! I assume there must be something triggering the warning.
    thanks for your help, appreciate it

edit to previous post -
    pop up just happened as I was on here.
    looks like it comes up twice. first time clicking 'turn on' does nothing. second time it works and the SpyBot popup window asking if I'm sure I want spybot to change the system comes up.
    looks like something is switching spybot off. (although previous time it happened I went straight to check live protection and apparently it was on.
    beguiling.