Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Auto updating

Default Auto updating

Hi Guys,
    1/ Why dosn't my system automatically update ?
    2/ I don't understand the Immunise button ?! Do I immunise before or after a scan ?
    Any other help appreciated.
    F

v; 2-7-65-0
    Asus M5A78L-M LX : Phenom IIx2 : 4gb ram : PSU: OCZ 500w : nVidia GT440 : AOC 32" : HDD: Samsung 1tb + W.D 1tb : Chrome : Win 10 pro (64) + Superantispyware + Spybot S&D

Hi.

For the update question, which of the Spybot Editions do you currently have?
    https://www.safer-networking.org/com...pybot-editions

This explains what immunization is:
    https://www.safer-networking.org/faq...-immunization/
    This explains how to immunize:
    https://www.safer-networking.org/faq...-immunization/
    Just to be sure we're both on the same page, when you are referring to the scan, do you mean the System Scan, in which Spybot scans your system, or would you be referring to the immunization check that Spybot does?
    Last edited by Zenobia; 2018-11-18 at 13:31.

thanks Zenobia,

all I see is "v; 2-7-65-0",,,, which now seems to be "v; 2-7-64-0" ?

I think I paid £19, so I'm guessing Professional, but wouldn't swear to it.
    Asus M5A78L-M LX : Phenom IIx2 : 4gb ram : PSU: OCZ 500w : nVidia GT440 : AOC 32" : HDD: Samsung 1tb + W.D 1tb : Chrome : Win 10 pro (64) + Superantispyware + Spybot S&D

You're welcome.

Okay, thanks. That edition is one that should get updates automatically. You should get antivirus updates a couple times a day. I found a section with some pictures to help things along. This is just a short run-through of automatic updates:
    https://www.safer-networking.org/faq...s-in-spybot-2/
    There should be updates set up to run by default. If you will follow the instructions on that page to get to the scheduler page, that will show the last time and date the scheduler has ran to automatically check for an update.
    How to schedule Updates in Spybot 2?
    Note: Task Scheduling is only available in the licensed editions of Spybot.
    By default, the Update task is set to run every time your PC starts, with a 3 minute delay. To schedule Updates:

• Open Spybot’s Start Center by right-clicking on the Spybot icon and choosing the option to Run as administrator.
    • Click on Show details in the bottom right corner of the Start Center.
    • Tick Advanced User Mode.
    • Go to Settings.
    • Go to Schedule....

https://www.safer-networking.org/wp-...Scheduleup.png

Following the above instructions to view the Scheduler tab in Spybot, could you tell me what time and date is listed there in the Updates section of the Schedule tab, beside "Last Time:'?

Also, did you try out the immunization button yet? How did it go?

Thanks again,

I've been Immunising all along, but as I said, I didn't know when it's best to do so - now I know - thanks.

My Start Centre now dosn't give me the Run as Admin (I'm sure it used to), so I can't follow the routine.

In fact, I think I lost a page when it last updated. it used to have a update button on the top right. It was supposed to be live updating, but wasn't. I got that fixed.
    Any idea how I get the Admin screen please ?

cheers

You're very welcome.

I've been Immunising all along, but as I said, I didn't know when it's best to do so - now I know - thanks.
    Okay, good. It's best to run the check every so often, then Spybot will tell you if there are things that need to be immunized. If you forget to run a check, usually when you open Start Center it will show Immunization in yellow(or red, I believe, if it has been a really long time), and tell you how many days it has been and you ought to run a check.

In fact, I think I lost a page when it last updated. it used to have a update button on the top right.
    That sounds to me like you might possibly be seeing the overview now. If you click 'Show details' on the bottom right, it should take you to the details page and then in the upper right corner you should see something along the lines of "This software is up to date" with a green checkmark beside it. There should be information about Live Protection and Internet Protection immediately above that.

My Start Centre now dosn't give me the Run as Admin (I'm sure it used to), so I can't follow the routine.
    You don't see Run As Administrator when rightclicking on the Start Centre anymore? You should see it with a yellow and blue shield beside, as it is in this image:
    https://www.safer-networking.org/wp-...10/Admin-1.png
    Are you logged in on an Administrator account on your computer?

UPDATE:

Thanks guys,

For some reason my screen now starts with the "Show details" screen, whereas it used to open with "back to overview" screen.
    No matter there, as I now know what to look for, however, I'm back to a previous problem, my "back to overview" screen says "UPDATE SERVICE STOPPED" !

also, the "back to overview" Screen says ,,,, "UPDATE TO 2.7",,, but at the top, it shows that I am already using 2.7.

Little niggles,,,,,, but I don't like little niggles.

Have a good weekend folks

The update service should be started again, but in order to attempt to do so you will need to be able to run a part of Spybot as administrator. So would you please answer my previous question from my last post, and then we can go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia
    You don't see Run As Administrator when rightclicking on the Start Centre anymore? You should see it with a yellow and blue shield beside, as it is in this image:
    https://www.safer-networking.org/wp-...10/Admin-1.png
    Are you logged in on an Administrator account on your computer?

I have clicked on run as admin on the Apps list (above Start)
    I have clicked on run as admin on the Start Spybot file.

Sometimes I see 2.7 'admin privileges' at the top,,,, sometimes I don't.

Is it obvious when running as admin,,,, or not ?

Sorry to sound dim.

Question Spybot Free

Does the free version (vers. 2.7) update automatically? I'm running Windows 10 Home on a brand new Acer Desktop. I installed Spybot on 11-24-18 and the last update states "you computer has no signatures installed yet!". I've clicked the update button with no luck but I am able to immunize though. Thank you.

Also went into the advanced user mode and noticed the updating service needs to be started but everything is grayed out and a yellow exclamation point is visible.
    Last edited by roz1227; 2018-11-25 at 16:19. Reason: Found more info.