Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Auto updating

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    You're welcome. And thank you for posting the screenshot. It shows that you need to verify your identity, but I don't believe that should affect User Account Control and running programs/apps as administrator, nor can I find anything online about that.

(A) Your Spybot is not showing typical behaviour when you are running it as administrator. What usually happens when you rightclick Spybot-S&D Start Center and select Run As Administrator is you are then prompted by User Account Control which asks if you want to let this app make changes to your device, you would then click 'Yes" if you want to proceed, then the Spybot-S&D Start Center should open immediately thereafter. You should not need to doubleclick it for it to open. It should show administrator privileges at the top at all times.

(B) On the other side of the coin, if you open Spybot-S&D Start Center without running it as administrator, then you should get a prompt from Windows User Account Control when you open some modules. For example, when you click Startup Tools, then you should get the prompt from User Account Control, if you select Yes, then the Startup tools would show Administrator Privileges at the top after that. You are not getting the prompts from User Account Control when you rightclick Spybot-S&D Start Center with the Yes and No option to select?
    What do you mean about verify ID ?

Both A & B are what I expect. It all seemed o.k until the last update.
    When I right click on Spybot Start center > run as admin, should the program boot ? I expect it to boot, with me as admin. Because it dosn't boot from there, I have to double click to open it,,,,, therefor - I guess - I lose the admin rule.

As its a paid for prog, I'd expect to get it working properly.
    Asus M5A78L-M LX : Phenom IIx2 : 4gb ram : PSU: OCZ 500w : nVidia GT440 : AOC 32" : HDD: Samsung 1tb + W.D 1tb : Chrome : Win 10 pro (64) + Superantispyware + Spybot S&D

It's in your screenshot. It says you need to verify your id on this pc, then there's a clickable Verify right below that. I don't believe that would affect your User Account Control when you rightclick programs and run as administrator, though. There's an article explaining about it more here:
    https://www.thewindowsclub.com/verif...-pc-windows-10
    I'm not suggesting that you do or don't Verify, that is up to you. But I mentioned it because I saw it.

You should be getting a Yes or No prompt from User Account Control first, actually. It would look like this(except this prompt is for Microsoft Office, not Spybot.)
    https://alssl.askleomedia.com/wp-con...office-uac.png
    When rightclicking Spybot and selecting Run as Administrator, are you getting that prompt at all?
    And Yes, if you are prompted by User Account Control, after you select Yes Spybot should launch immediately, without you having to click it again to open it.

If you were prompted by User Account Control and selected No, then Spybot would not launch immediately thereafter, but then you would not see Administrator Privileges automatically at the top when you launch startup tools, you would get another Yes or No prompt from User Account Control first.

If this started happening after the last update, it seems like something may have gone wrong with that. Ordinarily, I might think of asking you to reinstall Spybot and see if it is fixed, however I'm hesitant on that because when you input your license key again, you get a prompt from User Account Control according to Spybot's youtube video, and I don't want you running into any snafus since you're having problems with UAC and Spybot.

I'll probably send you along to Team Spybot shortly but first could you rightclick another program on your computer and run it as administrator? I'd like to know if it happens with other programs or just Spybot, so you can include that info in the form if necessary.

So as a short summary since my post is a bit wordy, in your next post could you please let me know if you are getting the prompt from User Account Control when rightclicking Spybot and selecting Run As administrator?
    Could you try running another program as administrator on your computer to check to see if the same thing happens that is happening with Spybot?

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    You're welcome, roz1227.
    Have you ever edited your registry before? Is that something you are familiar with and have no trouble doing, or is it kind of new and unfamiliar?
    Hello, I have no trouble editing the registry, I'm willing to try. Thank you
    Thanx, roz1227

Okay, good.

Please refer to this page and follow the directions that tell how to back up the entire registry:
    https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-back...gistry-2625146

After you've backed up the registry,you'll need to see if ServicesPipeTimeout is present.
    Down beside the start button where it says 'Type here to search', type in regedit. You should get a prompt to run it as administrator, select Yes.
    Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control
    In the pane over to the right, look and see if ServicesPipeTimeout is located there. Then follow either a or b below, whichever is applicable.

a.If ServicesPipeTimeout is located in the pane to the right, then you just need to edit it.
    Right-click ServicesPipeTimeout, and then click Modify.
    Click Decimal, type 120000, then click OK.
    Exit the registry, then reboot your computer.

Or:
    b.If the ServicesPipeTimeout is not located in the pane over to the right, then you'll need to create and modify it.
    On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
    Type ServicesPipeTimeout, and then press ENTER.
    Right-click ServicesPipeTimeout, and then click Modify.
    Click Decimal, type 120000, and then click OK.
    Exit the registry, then reboot your computer.

Now try installing the update service again, and see if it will start without the error.
    Rightclick Spybot Start Center, select Run As Administrator, say yes to the prompt, checkmark Advanced User Mode, click Settings, then the System Services tab. Beside Updating Service, click Install, then Start. Click Apply and OK.

Smile Auto Updating

Hello Zenobia,

Your directions worked PERFECT on my Acer Windows 10 desktop, thank you so much!

I have another challenge for you, I have another desktop (HP) with Windows 7 installed with the exact same issue. I tried all of your directions (thinking they might work) and unfortunately they didn't work. Is there something different I need to do since it's Windows 7? I'm running Spybot 2.7 version on my Windows 7 machine also. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
    Thanx, roz1227

You're welcome. I'm glad it worked.

No, you shouldn't need to do anything different where it's Windows 7, the registry edit would be the same. The registry edit you did gives Services longer to start before a time-out message is received. Usually the time out is 30 seconds, the registry edit you did on the Windows 10 should increase that time to 2 minutes.

When you're in the settings -> System Services tab in Spybot on the Windows 7, the updating service is installing okay? You only get an error after attempting to start it? If the updating service on the windows 7 is taking longer than two minutes to start after you edited the registry, it's possible there may be a problem with the Updating Service itself in some way. Let me know, I might be able to find a way to configure it in services itself, delayed start perhaps, or something similar.

Hello,

Still no luck. Everything looks good in the registry. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you.
    Thanx, roz1227

You're welcome.

This might not work, but it's worth a try. Press Windows Key + r, type in services.msc and then press OK. Once services opens, scroll down and locate Spybot-S&D 2 Updating Service. Rightclick it and select Properties. The service status should be Stopped, since you are getting the error. Beside Startup type, click the pull-down menu, and select Automatic (Delayed Start), then press Apply and OK. Close out Services, then reboot your computer. Once logged back into Windows 7, wait for a little bit. 5 or 10 minutes should do it. Then press Windows Key + r, type in services.msc and then press OK. Once services opens, scroll down and locate Spybot-S&D 2 Updating Service. Rightclick on Spybot-S&D 2 Updating Service, select Properties, and let me know if it's Service Status is Running.

Hello,

Followed your instructions to the latter. Unfortunately the services still show "stopped". Thanx for your continued help!
    Thanx, roz1227

You're very welcome.

Giving the service lots of time to start doesn't seem to be helping. I am thinking that perhaps there may be a problem with the service itself for some reason, or another thought I had is I wonder if another security program might prevent it from starting, perhaps. I can't imagine another security program would stop the updating service from starting, but just in case would you mind telling me what other security programs you have installed? I could search and see if I find anybody else with similar issues.

Also, would you open services again? Press Windows Key + r, type in services.msc and then press OK. Once services opens, scroll down and locate Spybot-S&D 2 Updating Service. Rightclick it and select Properties. Is the Path to Executable listed as C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2\SDUpdSvc.exe or similar?