Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Auto updating

You don't sound dim. Don't worry about that.
    When you see Spybot-Search & Destroy 2.7, Administrator Privileges at the top, that should be when Spybot is in administrator mode. Some modules(the different parts of Spybot within the start center, like system scan, etc.) will prompt you to run them as administrator if needed, some will not if it's not really necessary. To get all the modules to be run as administrator, just rightclick the Spybot start center and select Run As Administrator, then say yes to the prompt. Actually, could you run Spybot as administrator now, make sure it says Spybot-Search & Destroy 2.7, Administrator Privileges at the top, then click "More Details" on the bottom right. Does it still say Update service stopped?

Quote Originally Posted by roz1227 View Post
    Does the free version (vers. 2.7) update automatically? I'm running Windows 10 Home on a brand new Acer Desktop. I installed Spybot on 11-24-18 and the last update states "you computer has no signatures installed yet!". I've clicked the update button with no luck but I am able to immunize though. Thank you.

Also went into the advanced user mode and noticed the updating service needs to be started but everything is grayed out and a yellow exclamation point is visible.
    For the updating service, everything is usually greyed out in Settings->System Services when Spybot is not ran as administrator. If that's what happened, then try rightclicking Spybot Start Center, select Run As Administrator, say yes to the prompt, checkmark Advanced User Mode, click Settings, then the System Services tab. Beside Updating Service, click Install, then Start. Click Apply and OK, just for good measure.

No, the free version doesn't update automatically. There is a video available for you to watch that will help with how to update the free version for the first time:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzH1...l&t=3s&index=4
    You need to update before running your first system scan. After that, Antispyware updates are almost always released every Wednesday, so that's a good day to check for updates. Let me know if you have any problems updating.

Smile

Hello, I attempted to follow your steps to update the services located in the system services tab; however, when I click on start I get the following error: could not start the system service Spybot - S&D 2 updating service. The reason given by the system (1053): The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion. I did watch the video but was unable to perform the steps given in the video because the I can't get around the above error. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your response.
    Thanx, roz1227

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    You don't sound dim. Don't worry about that.
    When you see Spybot-Search & Destroy 2.7, Administrator Privileges at the top, that should be when Spybot is in administrator mode. Some modules(the different parts of Spybot within the start center, like system scan, etc.) will prompt you to run them as administrator if needed, some will not if it's not really necessary. To get all the modules to be run as administrator, just rightclick the Spybot start center and select Run As Administrator, then say yes to the prompt. Actually, could you run Spybot as administrator now, make sure it says Spybot-Search & Destroy 2.7, Administrator Privileges at the top, then click "More Details" on the bottom right. Does it still say Update service stopped?
    I right click Spybot, & click 'run as admin'. When I double click to boot Spybot, it opens without saying 'Admin Privs'.
    see image 1

I then click on 'Show details' - still no 'Admin privs'. See image 2 (including the Update Service Stopped)

I then click on 'Startup tools', where it now comes up with 'Admin privs' - see image 3, but still the Update service is stopped.

Thanks for taking the time to help me.

IMAGE 1:
    Admin error 1 - 28.11.18.jpg

IMAGE 2:
    Admin error 2 - 28.11.18.jpg

IMAGE 3:
    Admin error 3 - 28.11.18.jpg

You're welcome, roz1227.
    Have you ever edited your registry before? Is that something you are familiar with and have no trouble doing, or is it kind of new and unfamiliar?

Quote Originally Posted by furkin View Post
    I right click Spybot, & click 'run as admin'. When I double click to boot Spybot, it opens without saying 'Admin Privs'.
    see image 1

I then click on 'Show details' - still no 'Admin privs'. See image 2 (including the Update Service Stopped)

I then click on 'Startup tools', where it now comes up with 'Admin privs' - see image 3, but still the Update service is stopped.

Thanks for taking the time to help me.

IMAGE 1:
    Admin error 1 - 28.11.18.jpg

IMAGE 2:
    Admin error 2 - 28.11.18.jpg

IMAGE 3:
    Admin error 3 - 28.11.18.jpg
    You're welcome, but I'm afraid I'm a bit stumped with that one. Do you just have the standard ole Windows 10 administrator account?

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    You're welcome, but I'm afraid I'm a bit stumped with that one. Do you just have the standard ole Windows 10 administrator account?
    I really don't know. It's Win 10 Pro - latest update.
    Asus M5A78L-M LX : Phenom IIx2 : 4gb ram : PSU: OCZ 500w : nVidia GT440 : AOC 32" : HDD: Samsung 1tb + W.D 1tb : Chrome : Win 10 pro (64) + Superantispyware + Spybot S&D

Okay, thanks.

Please follow these instructions to look at your account info, and please come back and post if your account is listed as a local or an administrator's account:
    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-m...info_windows10
    (To add a little to the above article, to open Settings, click your Start button, then select the little button that looks like a gear icon, and continue on with the instructions to view your account info)

Zenobia:
    Thanks again.

Yep - it seems I'm the Admin.

Build; 04/08/18

Last update; 24/11/18
    v;1803 for x64

F

Win Admin 1a.jpg
    Asus M5A78L-M LX : Phenom IIx2 : 4gb ram : PSU: OCZ 500w : nVidia GT440 : AOC 32" : HDD: Samsung 1tb + W.D 1tb : Chrome : Win 10 pro (64) + Superantispyware + Spybot S&D

You're welcome. And thank you for posting the screenshot. It shows that you need to verify your identity, but I don't believe that should affect User Account Control and running programs/apps as administrator, nor can I find anything online about that.

Your Spybot is not showing typical behaviour when you are running it as administrator. What usually happens when you rightclick Spybot-S&D Start Center and select Run As Administrator is you are then prompted by User Account Control which asks if you want to let this app make changes to your device, you would then click 'Yes" if you want to proceed, then the Spybot-S&D Start Center should open immediately thereafter. You should not need to doubleclick it for it to open. It should show administrator privileges at the top at all times.

On the other side of the coin, if you open Spybot-S&D Start Center without running it as administrator, then you should get a prompt from Windows User Account Control when you open some modules. For example, when you click Startup Tools, then you should get the prompt from User Account Control, if you select Yes, then the Startup tools would show Administrator Privileges at the top after that. You are not getting the prompts from User Account Control when you rightclick Spybot-S&D Start Center with the Yes and No option to select?