Thread: A New Malware Threat? Called "Pronigtod," I Think...

Default A New Malware Threat? Called "Pronigtod," I Think...

Good morning/afternoon/evening (depending on your time of day):

Yesterday I began to notice in my Google Chrome browser a certain slowing down of the mouse when opening new pages; you know, that feeling that the mouse is dragging. Furthermore, I also notice certain web pages opening when I clicked on links or even accidentally just clicking on random points of the page.

The pages that opened were all related to this one site, EDIT which, despite the URL, is actually operated from an ISP in Phoenix, Arizona. He or she has 128 different domains registered, and I blocked them all in Google Chrome, but it was no good. Sometimes the tab opens so quickly and closes again that I have no chance of identifying the URL. It's definitely adware because later on I was treated to some advertising I had no interest in or came from a click on a link in YouTube, for example.

I have used Spybot, Malwarebytes, Microsoft Security Essentials and ZoneAlarm and none of them have picked up any underlying or potential threat. Google produces 20 hits, all related to domain name registry pages - in other words, there is no mention of this or similar URLs in any forum, or blog, or any other site that I know of and I thought, typical, the problem I have is completely unique and I am not able to find any help for it.

I just wonder if anyone here has heard of it, or similar, and have any suggestions for solutions to this problem?

I will be most grateful for any assistance that could be provided. I will do anything I can to help someone in return.

Cheers,
    Stephen Butler (UK)
    Last edited by tashi; 2019-01-30 at 01:20. Reason: Removed live link

Hello sbutler860,

In case you missed it please see the FAQ which includes instructions in post #2 on how to provide the logs from Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and aswMBR, which are the logs used in the preliminary analysis.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

Best regards.
    Last edited by tashi; 2019-01-30 at 06:13. Reason: Edited my post J as we posted at the same time. :-D
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Security Expert-emeritus Juliet's Avatar

Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) - Scan mode
    Follow the instructions below to download and execute a scan on your system with FRST, and provide the logs in your next reply.
    • Download the right version of FRST for your system:
      • FRST 32-bit
      • FRST 64-bit
        Note: Only the right version will run on your system, the other will throw an error message. So if you don't know what your system's version is, simply download both of them, and the one that works is the one you should be using.
    • Move the executable (FRST.exe or FRST64.exe) on your Desktop
    • Right-click on the executable and select Run as Administrator (for Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 users)
    • Accept the disclaimer by clicking on Yes, and FRST will then do a back-up of your Registry which should take a few seconds
    • Make sure the Addition.txt box is checked
    • Click on the Scan button
    • On completion, two message box will open, saying that the results were saved to FRST.txt and Addition.txt, then open two Notepad files
    • Copy and paste the content of both FRST.txt and Addition.txt in your next reply
    Windows Insider MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2017
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

bump....
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

Due to lack of feedback this topic is closed.