Thread: I need Error code 1317 fix please (answer:solved)

Lightbulb I need Error code 1317 fix please (answer:solved)

Hello, could you please put an option to:
    - allow software installation to create files and folders ?
    - allow easy temporary deactivation of Spybot (the tutorial can't be understood) ?
    Because I can't check all the options of Paint Shop Ultimate 2018 installation that comes with trials and gifts that adds picture folders. (Even thought that one comes with less gifts than mine because I lost mine. But no problem since I hadn't understood past gift.)
    And later I'll have to install again all my other programs and most of them also do create folders and documents.

Windows 10 May 2019 has now set an error code to those as in past I did spam them a lot with this installation error: Error code 1317

The only thing I did in Windows was:
    Windows Security - Virus & Threat protection - Virus & Threat protection - Exclusions - Add
    C:\Users\Franc
    C:\Users\Public

And Franc was found to be normal as windows truncate first name to the 56 first letters for everyone except if you use Windows as local.

Thank you very much,

Lightbulb I need Error code 1317 fix please (answer:solved)

Hello,

This is the answer for last thread as it's not yet online:

Virus and threat protection settings
    Controlled folder access
    OFF (while software install)

so no need put anti-virus off during 1317 error.
    Link I gave you went blank page ?! So I couldn't add advice. I'm not much time on Windows side. I thought was an official windows page :/

I hope also other softwares will install correctly or will install with these error solved.
    I got all my free Corel backgrounds installed at:
    C:\Users\Public\Pictures\Ultimate X10 Backgrounds\

Then I had put it ON again =)

So it's not you the issue.

Although the scan gave that:
    Code:
    Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18362.295]
    (c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
    For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
    windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
    repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.
    But I don't think it is related and it has no meaning for me.

Thank you =)

Lightbulb

Best answer

How to control Windows Security - Controlled Folder Access with Spybot on Windows 10 May 2019 Update ?

In previous updates it's not a good idea because Windows Security won't automatically get back ON instead of Spybot after reboot.
    With this update it helps installing apps that automatically generates files and folders.

Spybot [software]
    Settings (icon Switch)
    Live Protection [tab]
    Mode
    Why can't I change these settings ?
    You need administration permission to change this ? Do you want to Elevate ? - Yes.
    (it's not here)
    System Services [tab]
    Security Center Service - Integration into the Systems - Windows Security Center
    Uninstall
    Reboot (fast because both live protection are off)

Windows Security [software]
    Real Time Protection is ON (means Spybot is just side helper and has it's Live protection OFF)
    Controlled Folder Access (click on link to manage it)
    Controlled Folder Access is ON
    When you want to install a program do not turn it off, instead go to:
    Allow an app through controlled folder access (click)
    Add an allowed App
    Browse All apps
    Check where is your application installer - setup in Windows explorer folder or in your navigation folder software.
    In: Browse All apps - select it and add it - exemple:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Corel\Corel PaintShop Pro 2018 Setup Files

If setup fails either you need add compatibility layer to Windows XP / Vista / 7 / 8. Either it will never work. But except for antivirus and software that interacts with hardware, it's always best to always add compatibility layer to all setup.exe.
    And then it works.

Same if it is installed and needs an exception. You need to find the name of program that is launched in C:\Program Files\ or C:\Program Files (x86)\. There might be a software that could tell you that by pointing mouse to icon.
    If you just let Controlled Folder Access ON and just add exception to installer or launched software paths (alike .exe, .bat u+x ones), I think it'll be OK for security.

I don't think needs adding Exclusions to anti-virus control scan. I think it just concerns scans, not files and folder creation permission. So delete any Exclusion you might have put on as it's not good for you and it's an error of understanding.
    You can still virus and malware scan with Spybot even if Live Protection is controlled by Windows, not by Spybot, and it should stay always ON in Windows.
    And I don't understand more about Windows. And this solution might not be appropriate with Windows 10 or Spybot future updates. As it's not always same way to allow third party software to install themselves in Windows 10 with Spybot on. (Sorry for this was my previous post big error so there was 2 big errors wrong website and wrong idea, but this time I did find it out by myself as they were doing something alike in other software and solution for other software was not clear and was split in many ideas everywhere.)

Rem: I have Windows 10 Home, some chances in Windows 10 Pro you can set Controlled Folder Access to Audit and not to Enable or Disable. On Windows 10 Home, you must keep it ON and only add Application exceptions NOT folder exceptions.

And I can't give further advice as I do double boot with Ubuntu Linux, but I like having access to my paid Windows 10 programs. Because if I put a virtual machine on Linux, mostly Android ones, I feel I create a security issue on it. Also with Windows Home, double boot be with Linux or Android (you can even do double boot with MacOsX or with a gaming unknown platform), is a lot better then virtualisation as any virtualisation creates a security issue. So I did found out one Windows secret but I do ignore most of them. And I am just a simple any OS desktop user. Yes there are security issues with double boot, but it's a less greater issue then with virtualisation as both OS can do max security.

Hope it helps.

Thank you very much for your attention =)

Suggestion written on 27th August 2019.
    Attached Images Attached Images