Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Malware issues?

I'd still like your help removing the Toshiba stuff. I will research the startup repair thread and get back to you.

thank you for your patience

Security Expert-emeritus Juliet's Avatar

Sorry for the delay in replying, I didn't get a notice you had replied.

The items I saw in your add/remove programs list were not involved in startups.

Whats the age of this computer?

I may have asked this already, if you boot into safe mode does it run still very slow?
    Windows Insider MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2017
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

Hi Juliet

I can't recall but probably about 3-5 years max. Probably closer to 3 years.

I haven't booted into safe mode. I'm not sure how to do that. I'm a little nervous with the advance level stuff.

I read the links you gave me about running startup repair and I was not following the material/steps as they present it such that I was uncomfortable attempting this myself. The steps don't look the same and the commands are not what I am seeing or maybe it is in a different order, but it doesn't look familiar enough. It's not like how you guys explain stuff which is very clear and precise.

My computer took about 15-20 mins to boot up tonight. It is so slow. I did a hard shutdown on it today after IE was so slow to run I got sick of it and just shut it off.

Opening the file folder, excel or photos can take anywhere from 1-3 minutes to open. It's crazy. It takes FOREVER for IE to open. Maybe it's corrupted?

I can never tell if Windows defender turns back on when Kaspersky is on, or if there are programs running in the background. I wish there was a way to stop all programs from running automatically or at least be able to open a window to see what is running at any given moment and have the option to shut it off.

I think I shut off the idrive or icloud thing which was always updating.

from the symptoms, it could be either a hard drive issue or a ram issue
    the system was trying to do automatic update to a backup, how updated is your W10? Do you have all of the most recent updates? If your system is playing catch up to install those patches, it will take a while.

Windows Defender will not run as long as you have Kaspersky on the machine. By design it will/should be disabled because of having the 2 antivirus on there.

We havent run a rootkit scan, not saying you have one but this should tell us if any of these problems are related to infection.

Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit

Download Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit Beta and save it to your desktop.
    • Double-click the file to run it. Select the extraction path as your desktop. (MBAR will be launched shortly after the extraction)
    • Click on Next, and then on the Update button to let it update its database. Once the database has been successfully updated, click on Next
    • Make sure all the checkboxes are checked, then click on the Scan button, and let it complete the scan (this can take a while)
    • Once the scan is done, make sure that every item is checked, and click on the Cleanup button (a reboot might be required)
    • After that (and the reboot, if one was required), go back in the mbar folder and look for a text file called mbar-log-TODAY'S-DATE.txt
    • Copy/paste the content of that log in your next reply.

---------------------------------------------
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

Thanks for your help on this Juliet *just a heads up, I may be a bit slow to respond/address this given heading into xmas week and working late, family obligations, etc so I haven't had much time in the evenings, but I will stay on it*

Pretty sure that windows runs updates regularly, but I did notice that when I went into the system folder and looked under updates, it said there were several updates that have failed to install and it will keep trying. I tried to manually run the update but it seems to be having trouble going through.

As far as Windows defender is concerned, I constantly get conflicting messages. Sometimes after I reboot is says I need to turn on my security settings for Kaspersky, sometimes it says I need to turn on Windows, sometimes it says both are off and sometimes it appears both are on......it's really confusing. Defender is the tricky one because I can't really tell if it is on or off. MS is sneaky that way I guess.

I will try running rootkit scan tonight or tomorrow and get back to you with results.

thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by loopdiloop View Post
    Thanks for your help on this Juliet *just a heads up, I may be a bit slow to respond/address this given heading into xmas week and working late, family obligations, etc so I haven't had much time in the evenings, but I will stay on it*

Pretty sure that windows runs updates regularly, but I did notice that when I went into the system folder and looked under updates, it said there were several updates that have failed to install and it will keep trying. I tried to manually run the update but it seems to be having trouble going through.

As far as Windows defender is concerned, I constantly get conflicting messages. Sometimes after I reboot is says I need to turn on my security settings for Kaspersky, sometimes it says I need to turn on Windows, sometimes it says both are off and sometimes it appears both are on......it's really confusing. Defender is the tricky one because I can't really tell if it is on or off. MS is sneaky that way I guess.

I will try running rootkit scan tonight or tomorrow and get back to you with results.

thank you!
    I understand this is a bad time to try and work on the computer. It's very close to the holidays and family comes first.

You might have hit the nail on the head here. I don't think this is related to malware, there seems to be a battle between Microsoft in a loop to install failed updates (No idea why) and possibly an overpowering antivirus.
    When Windows updates are trying to install it's at bootup (This creates an abnormal long time trying to install the updates). And since it fails it starts the cycle again trying to download which uses a large amount of resources.....creating lag.

Found an article that might give some insight.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/...-update-errors

Run Windows Update Troubleshooter.
    Manually download and install updates.
    Disable your antivirus.

Juliet

I rant the rootkit scan and there was no log. It said no malware was found the computer is clean.

I will review your other posts but maybe I need to work instead on hardware/software issues?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by loopdiloop View Post
    Juliet

I ran the rootkit scan and there was no log. It said no malware was found the computer is clean.
    No log was created because there was nothing to remove.

I will review your other posts but maybe I need to work instead on hardware/software issues?
    Chris
    Thats my thoughts.

bump...

Hi Juliet

I hope you had a nice holiday season.

So I downloaded the program from Microsoft that was supposed to address my update issues. I ran it and it just seemed to get caught in a loop where it just never completed its process for repairing my MS downloads. When I check my updates files, it says there was an error running updates but the update never gets completed. It keeps trying to re-run it, I suppose, but it never gets updated.

Not sure what to try at this point.

thanks

Chris