Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spybot 2.8 - Why is it so hard to switch off the Windows Security Centre integration?

Sorry PepiMK, but I have little idea what you're talking about here.

I made it clear that this was the free version from the very start, so not sure what your comment about mentioning that is all about.

Here's how it looks to me: The free version doesn't replace an anti-virus since there is no real time scanning, so there is no reason for the Security Centre integration. If there is some Microsoft requirement, just don't install the Security Centre integration with the free version. In the previous version there was an option to do this in the installer (that didn't work, if I remember correctly), so let's go with that solution.

Unhappy

Just replying to say this is still the case as of v2.8.68.0. Whatever the intention, the result is that installing the free version of Spybot provides no virus protection but disables Windows Defender's real-time "Virus and threat protection" and prevents it from being re-enabled without uninstalling Spybot or using the registry editor to change an obscure value. All this happens without the user being informed, so most people would be unaware. prequelmeme.jpg

Whatever Microsoft's intention is, I doubt this is it. Something like the free version of Malwarebytes (which does provides manual virus scanning but not real-time virus protection) does not integrate with Windows Security Center to disable real-time virus protection, so it does not seem to be entirely unavoidable.
    Last edited by Sven Viking; 2020-08-02 at 10:06.

Reference the thread titled "Windows Defender w/ RTP inside WSSC & Spybot S&D w/ LP outside WSSC" in this forum for some helpful information.

Thanks - I personally already did find that thread and the problem is solved for me via a registry edit, but the problem remains for other people who don't find the forum thread, install Spybot Free, and don't even realise it has disabled their virus protection behind the scenes.

Arrow

I'm linking my thread to this thread as it looks to me that my problem is related to this SDSpybotLab.exe file too...

https://forums.spybot.info/showthrea...437#post485437

Although I'm not getting any popup it appears that this file is still running at boot times and creating a log in my root directory. I would like this stopped!

Default Same problem!

Quote Originally Posted by drghughes View Post
    edit the registry to set the service to start manually
    Hello,
    I'm wondering if you could explain step-by-step how you edited to the registry to fix this problem? I'm not super tech-savvy but I can follow instructions! I would really appreciate it, as this problem is driving me nuts. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by mrither View Post
    I'm wondering if you could explain step-by-step how you edited to the registry to fix this problem?
    Since you can cause big problems if you make a mistake when editing the registry, I made the choice not to provide any instructions.

However, others don't take the same view, so you will find some instructions in this thread at https://forums.spybot.info/showthrea...l=1#post484596

I'd advise creating a restore point before making any changes so that you can go back to a working system if things go wrong.

Should the referenced Regedit key be returned to it's initial state after turning off Spybot Security Center Service or will that return the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by locob View Post
    Should the referenced Regedit key be returned to it's initial state after turning off Spybot Security Center Service or will that return the problem?
    I have left the key with a value of 0.

Since I have not turned off the Spybot in the WSSC I have not changed its Regedit Key from Zero (0) which is a workaround to the problem which is described in my Windows Defender w/ RTP inside WSSC & Spybot S&D w/ LP outside WSSC thread.

As far as I know, the problem has not yet been permanently fixed yet.

If anyone knows any differently, please let me know?

Thanks!