Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SDSpybotLab.exe Update News Popup

Unhappy SDSpybotLab.exe Update News Popup

A few words of praise: I've been using Spybot for years to fix unloved computers for friends. It's a marvelous program and I'm VERY grateful for it. Thank you!

A few words of criticism: What is the below monstrosity, and how does one get rid of it?

Started seeing this after updating my Spybot Search and Destroy. Clicking the given "Spybot Anti-Beacon 3.5" hyperlink doesn't do anything, nor does clicking much of anything else. After exiting it pops up again after a minute or so.

Side Note: My laptop monitor is 1366x768. The expletive pop up is taller than my screen!

Thanks in Advance!

As nixagan735 asked above, how can we get rid of the aggravating pop-up shown in the screen shot above? It appears every time any user account is opened and takes up most of the screen.

Apart from the news aspect, it seems to be trying to pressure the user into buying Spybot Anti-Beacon 3.5. I don't wish to buy Spybot Anti-Beacon 3.5 so I'd be very pleased to know how to disable this pop-up permanently. I can read the news here anyway:

https://www.safer-networking.org/category/news/

Other than the grumbles above, I like Spybot very much and have been using it for many years now, so thank you very much for a very useful program.

oh cool, I have signed up into this forum just to create a thread with exactly the same question!

How to disable this annoying popup window without disabling the auto-updates?

Hello everyone,

If you haven't done so already please open a support ticket here

Best regards,

tashi
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Hello everyone,

Best regards,

tashi
    Thanks but I've already removed it because it spam the popup window even with auto-updates disabled (!). Not so far from a malware behavior...

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Hello everyone,

Best regards,

tashi
    Thank you for your reply. However, I'm not sure why users would need technical support for for what seems to me to be deviant behaviour from the latest version of SSD. How many of us would have to open support tickets before it becomes clear that this annoyance, already described as being "not far from malware behaviour", is due to some fault in the program and is not down to any action or lack of it by the user?

We have 3 PCs here, 1x32-bit and 2x64-bit. On all 3 PCs on every user account (7 altogether), this tiresome pop-up appears whenever any account is accessed. Perhaps there should be some sort of update or patch to this version (2.8) of SSD to resolve the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by norlin View Post
    Thanks but I've already removed it because it spam the popup window even with auto-updates disabled (!). Not so far from a malware behavior...
    I also chose to uninstall and I experienced the exact same thing. I'm VERY saddened by what S&D has become.

Although I find the pop-up extremely irritating, I won't be uninstalling SSD because of it. SSD is a good program which works well; I have no trouble with updates, immunisation or scanning so I see no point in getting rid of it ~ I'll just grit my teeth and close the pop-up until a way is found to dump this intrusion permanently.

At the time of writing this, there have been 1,551 views of this thread, so it seems that a lot of people are interested in this subject. About time you did something to resolve the issue isn't it Spybot?

Default similarly,

Temporary fix : find the file SDSpybotLab.exe in your install folder and rename to .exe2 for instance

also very disappointed, after years of using Spybot and recommending it to friends I finally decided to purchase a professional licence. Not a Month later and I get bombarded by this abomination of an advert for a product which is already paid for, installed and functioning?

By ways of voting with my feet I shall temporarily remove all current installs of Spybot and Antibeacon on the several private computers I manage until this is resolved.

And the suggestion of opening a 'Tech Support Ticket' when this is clearly a moral failure and not a Software error is unacceptable.

Please make it stop,

Kind regards

Smurf

PS: could you include SDSpybotLab.exe in your telemtetry blocklist for Antibeacon?

Default Thank you for this thread!!!!

I have had same problem on three computers (2 desktop and 1 laptop) since my last update of Spybot. I tried everything, but this morning I saw the advise to change the name of SDSpybotLab.exe. To do so, I performed an File Explorer search for SDSpybotLab.exe. It took a while, but it finally came up with one result. I changed the name to SDSpybotLab.exe.REMOVEtoRESTORE and I expect the problem to be resolved.

I'd prefer a cleaner solution and I am disappointed that Spybot did not thoroughly test how frequently this comes up and that there is no known way to quickly disable it. I bet a lot of people are looking for this thread.

Spybot, please fix this ASAP!

--DATJ