Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SDSpybotLab.exe Update News Popup

Default Searching for alternatives

Has anyone else noticed the irony of Spybot now acting in a way that we use the product to help prevent?
    Safer-Networking replied to my inquiry that they had no intention of ending this practice. I am waiting for a response to my service ticket, but in the meantime, I will seek out an alternative and demand a refund of my unused subscription.

Default Email from Team Spybot re Lab Update

Just received this in response to my complaint:

We apologise for the inconvenience.

We are currently updating this file so that the Spybot Lab will only appear when new news articles are available so that this will no longer constantly appear when updating or opening Spybot.

We hope to include this file with this weeks updates.

Quote Originally Posted by phbair View Post

We apologise for the inconvenience.

We are currently updating this file so that the Spybot Lab will only appear when new news articles are available so that this will no longer constantly appear when updating or opening Spybot.

We hope to include this file with this weeks updates.
    Thanks. This seems to have happened and resolved the problem ~ fingers crossed! The pop-up appeared when I first opened a user account while I was still running v2.8.67.0, but after updating to v2.8.68.0 late yesterday (Wednesday) the pop-up hasn't been seen on any user account so far. I'll wait until later today to see if it's definitely gone ~ I'll let you all know!

We released a new installer that should be able to address the problem discussed in this thread. We would like to thank everyone giving us their opinion and sharing their thoughts about this matter with us. We are sorry for the inconvenience and hope with the changes applied you can enjoy our program again as much as we do. Thank you.
    (m/f)

Quote Originally Posted by (m/f) View Post
    We released a new installer that should be able to address the problem discussed in this thread. We would like to thank everyone giving us their opinion and sharing their thoughts about this matter with us. We are sorry for the inconvenience and hope with the changes applied you can enjoy our program again as much as we do. Thank you.
    Thank you very much for sorting this out so quickly. I'm pleased to say that we haven't seen the pop-up on either of our laptops or the desktop PC since I updated yesterday. I downloaded v2.8.68 here and allowed the installer to uninstall the previous version, restarted as indicated and finished the installation. It all seems back to normal now and I'm very grateful, as no doubt are others, to all at Team Spybot for their prompt attention in dealing with this issue. I have no doubt that I'll be using this excellent program for a long time to come!

Do I have to download the new version, or will this be fixed automatically when I update the Spybot signatures?

I've downloaded the new version and the installer locks up, freezes and won't let me install at all.

spybotsd-2.8.68.0

So I can't proceed to try getting rid of this nasty pop up I've been experiencing since the last update install.

Really disappointed that all of this is happening.

Btw, I had to register in order to post this comment and been a long time user that I never had the need to make a post on this forum all this time.

Quote Originally Posted by phbair View Post

I got a new news article pop-up yesterday (Monday) and I found it very interesting and informative. I think this is an excellent idea and it keeps Spybot users aware of what's going on with Spybot ~ much better than the previous pop-ups too!

The idea of SpybotLab is (and was) to keep you as users informed with the latest news of our products and what we are developing. We know that pop-ups are annoying and thus every news article will only show once now. We will add some more features to SpybotLab so that it will help you better keeping updated. We would like to thank you all for your input and support.
    (m/f)

Default Looks like this is still a problem ?

This thread about the SpybotLabs popup was first discussed here in over a month ago, and it sounds like it was fixed in a new install file, but this just started for me within the past week. This is highly annoying. I just renamed the Spybotlabs.exe as someone suggested. Hopefully that takes care of this, but users should not have to rename files as a way to disable an annoying popup. Like others here, I have been a Spybot user for years and never had a complaint or had a need to post on this forum. I agree with others that this is akin to malware that is allowing a program to take control of my PC and display an image that I have not asked to see, and there are no config settings to turn it off. Very disappointed and would like to see this remedied.