Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Defender w/ RTP inside WSSC & Spybot S&D w/ LP outside WSSC

Default Windows Defender w/ RTP inside WSSC & Spybot S&D w/ LP outside WSSC

Since I reset my PC and installed Spybot S&D without A/V, it is automatically putting itself into the Windows Security Service Center after each boot since the checkbox to activate after each reboot is persistently on and cannot be turned off in the Spybot S&D Settings of System Services for Windows Security Service Center Integration. Also, Spybot S&D Live Protection will not install even though I am elevated and Windows Defender Real-Time Protection is prohibited since Spybot S&D is in the Windows Security Service Center.

Before I reset my PC, I only had Windows Defender with Real-Time Protection in the Windows Security Service Center and Spybot S&D with Live Protection outside of the Windows Security Service Center, so how do I get that configuration again?

You might want to contact Spybot support and get help with that. There is a contact form here:
    https://www.safer-networking.org/support/#contactform

I already have contacted Spybot Tech Support recently and received Ticket#2020053080000201.

This problem has already been mentioned in several posts in this Spybot Forum starting when Spybot S&D 2.8 was released.

As mentioned by another user of this Spybot Forum and the fact that I run Malwarebytes, too, Malwarebytes has the option of not to be registered in the WSSC which allows Malwarebytes to be run with all of its Protections outside of the WSSC and Windows Defender w/ RTP to be run inside of the WSSC.

My experience with Rob of Spybot Tech Support has been good as he has been helpful but he takes a long time [at least a week and sometimes weeks] to get back to me and this has been going on for the last year.

At least one other user of this Spybot Forum has complained about a lack of response from Spybot Tech Support.

Is Rob of Spybot Tech Support the only person working in Spybot Tech Support as it seems to be understaffed?

I don't know if Spybot tech support is understaffed or not. The only thing I know about Rob from Team Spybot is I believe that he also does the Spybot tutorials on Youtube. I would imagine Spybot tech support has had quite a few questions recently as I noticed some people on the forums have posted about Live Protection driver fail, etc. and perhaps that is holding things up, but that is just a guess on my part. I realize getting live protection or real-time protection to run is important, but unfortunately I do not know the answer to this question off-hand.

I did notice in your opening paragraph that you mentioned you recently reset your pc and installed Spybot S&D without A/V. Could you tell me more about that, is that a typo and you meant you installed Spybot S&D with AV?

The Spybot - Search & Destroy [S&D] Standard Installer has an option to install Spybot S&D with A/V with the option of installing Spybot Anti-Beacon.

Also, the Spybot S&D Standard Installer has an option to install Spybot S&D without A/V with no option to install Spybot Anti-Beacon.

However, the list of Spybot S&D components in the Spybot S&D Standard Installer seems to be the same for both options and these options cannot be changed which seems to be an anomaly and
    I will submit a Ticket about that.

Initially, I did the first option [Spybot S&D with A/V & Spybot Anti-Beacon] since I paid for both Spybot S&D Professional and Spybot Anti-Beacon.

I uninstalled Spybot S&D with A/V and installed Spybot S&D without A/V to see if that would not have Spybot S&D in the WSSC, however, it still goes into WSSC, also.

Perhaps when Spybot Tech Support resolves the Spybot S&D 2.8 issues, I will try Spybot S&D with A/V if it cannot and does not go into the WSSC.

Ticket#2020060280000093

Oh, I see. Thanks for explaining.

I'm glad you opened a support ticket about it. I'll leave you with Spybot tech support, as they are the ones that have the answers with things like this. If anything happens that you don't hear back from them for a long while, then you could post back here and either you or I could ask for help from tashi, as I see she helped in your other post.

FYI, I got the below working on my Windows 10 Home Edition 64 Bit Version 2004 HP PC using the following files from Spybot Tech Support: spybotsd-2.8.68.0 & SpybotLPTests.v2:

Windows Fixes and Spybot Fixes to have both Spybot S&D and Windows Defender Operational

After installing spybotsd-2.8.68.0 & SpybotLPTests.v2 in that sequential order:

Launch the Registry Editor in the Tools tab in the System Configuration app in the Windows Administrative Tools folder in the Start Menu.

In the Registry Editor, start from the top of the file structure at Computer to find "SDWSCService" and modify its LaunchProtected value to zero (0).

Close the Registry Editor.

Close the System Configuration app.

Restart Windows.

Open the Spybot S&D Start Center app.

Right click on the Settings icon and click “Run as Administrator”.

In the System Services tab in Settings Stop the Security Service Center.

Click Apply in Settings.

In the System Services tab in Settings Uninstall the Security Service Center.

Click Apply in Settings.

Click OK in Settings.

Close the Spybot S&D Start Center app.

Restart Windows.

Ensure that the Windows Defender is fully active in the Windows Security Service Center, Spybot S&D is no longer in the Windows Security Service Center and Spybot S&D is fully active in its System Tray icon.

The above without installing SpybotLPTests.v2 would have to be done after the installation of each subsequent release/version of Spybot S&D starting with the next release/version of Spybot S&D after Spybot S&D 2.8.68.0.

Use the above at your own risk as I assume no responsiblity for the above.

I'm glad you got it fixed. Thank you for posting back.

While the problem may be solved for 40DonZ01 and others who eventually find this post, the fact that the free version of Spybot currently unavoidably disables Windows virus protection without informing the user and without itself providing real-time virus protection, and prevents it from being re-enabled without uninstalling Spybot or using a registry editor, is still a problem. Spybot should basically be detecting itself as malware that compromises system security at this point.